Reason 12 release date?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
gscroggin

28 Jan 2021

For those that are interested I heard back from Reason Studio support:

1. The discount offer is valid for Reason versions 1-11

2. All Reason 10 projects will open in Reason+. It's recommended to make backups of them should you decide to return to Reason 10 as once saved in Reason+ they'll only open in Reason 11.

I'm probably going to give it a try this weekend.

Loque

28 Jan 2021

gscroggin wrote:
28 Jan 2021
... once saved in Reason+ they'll only open in Reason 11.
Phew...i need to realx too :-D

I read, "you can only open them in R+" :-D

Yea, as soon as you open and save a old song with a newer Reason version, it can only be opened with this new or newer version. This is a old fact and is a bit for cooperation - but hey, how should a old program know how to read and understand new data?
Reason12, Win10

MaMue

30 Mar 2021

So when will R12 finally arrive, I can't wait any longer.

RoryM0

30 Mar 2021

The Reason+ 50% offer for existing owners ends April 27th. My guess would be R12 will land somewhere between April 28th and May 25th.

deeplink
Competition Winner

30 Mar 2021

I'm still waiting for Reason 6
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

RoryM0

30 Mar 2021

I also think that the release of R12 will bring the longest threads in ReasonTalk history, packed with more despair and joy than any of us ever thought possible.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

30 Mar 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
30 Mar 2021
I also think that the release of R12 will bring the longest threads in ReasonTalk history, packed with more despair and joy than any of us ever thought possible.
I expect nothing less. Probably more despair than joy. Seems like we live in a time when people are more agitated and pissed off then ever. Can't help but think the whole pandemic thing plays a part in this. People are just waiting to take their anger and frustrations out on anything. And I suspect R12 will be a perfect excuse to do just that.
But we'll see. :D

I'm looking forward to see what R12 will bring. I have zero expectations or wishlists, so it will probably be more joy than despair for me.
Last edited by TritoneAddiction on 30 Mar 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Billy+

30 Mar 2021

May / June would be good but I'm thinking it's not going to happen until June / July. But it could be later.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

30 Mar 2021

It’ll come exactly 24 hours after they remove the option to authorize using an Ignition Key. Watch this space.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

RoryM0

30 Mar 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
30 Mar 2021
The Reason+ 50% offer for existing owners ends April 27th. My guess would be R12 will land somewhere between April 28th and May 25th.
Perhaps I'm not taking May Madness into account... Now I think about it seems less likely that they'll release a major new numbered version just before or during what is traditionally a sale month.

Maybe June is more likely...

Billy+

30 Mar 2021

MrFigg wrote:
30 Mar 2021
It’ll come exactly 24 hours after they remove the option to authorize using an Ignition Key. Watch this space.
They have said that they wouldn't break it for existing users and only mac big sur isn't supported so I hope they stick to what they have said.

I'm still waiting for an extra auth.
Just like I'm waiting for an offline solution for annual subscribers.

But I've noticed RS have been quite about all these things.....

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

30 Mar 2021

The later in the year the better as they will have more time to get things added correctly to it rather than rushing it out.

More to the point why can't you wait for Reason 12, what are you expecting apart from a click bait thread?

Billy+

30 Mar 2021

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
30 Mar 2021
The later in the year the better as they will have more time to get things added correctly to it rather than rushing it out.

More to the point why can't you wait for Reason 12, what are you expecting apart from a click bait thread?
That's my expectation, followed by disappointment but you never can tell what RS will do.

Heater

30 Mar 2021

Will it have track freeze. It’s the only thing I want.

motuscott

30 Mar 2021

Punch in. Do it for me Props!
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Billy+

30 Mar 2021

Heater wrote:
30 Mar 2021
Will it have track freeze. It’s the only thing I want.
Track freeze would be a real handy feature along with track group folders, but all I want is full vst midi support and I've been waiting since V9.5 so I'm not getting my hopes up for anything useful to me.

DaveyG

30 Mar 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
30 Mar 2021
"... and joy"?
Are you sure? :lol:

My guess is autumn.

RoryM0

30 Mar 2021

DaveyG wrote:
30 Mar 2021
RoryM0 wrote:
30 Mar 2021
"... and joy"?
Are you sure? :lol:

My guess is autumn.
:D Yes! Well, fingers crossed at least.

Mike B

30 Mar 2021

Reason Studios is clearly going towards a “Native Instruments’ Komplete” model. They are focusing on instruments rather than the DAW itself for the past 5 years.

For those wanting “DAW” updates, I don’t understand why you don’t use reason as a plugin in another more advanced DAW like Logic, Ableton, FL Studio or even StudioOne.

There is no way Reason 12 will be able to compete with modern DAWs. It’s just waaay behind and will need years and even by then competitors will go beyond DAW functionalities and QoL improvements.

Just get over it. Reason is a plugin first, a basic DAW second.

jam-s

30 Mar 2021

Mike B wrote:
30 Mar 2021
For those wanting “DAW” updates, I don’t understand why you don’t use reason as a plugin in another more advanced DAW like Logic, Ableton, FL Studio or even StudioOne.
Some Reason(s):
* No VST support in the plugin thus not that useful for complex (instrument) chains.
* no easy option to have CV interconnections between different reason rack plugins.
* VST3 only (not that much of an argument any more)
* having to learn another DAW
* dislike of other DAWs look and feel

Yonatan

30 Mar 2021

For Reason to offer a komplete kind of option with their RE’s seems to be a good move to survive. But I am sure they could bring in some extra folks if bringing the DAW up a few notches. I don’t want to see it as either or, they can exist at the same time.
It just gives RS some extra time and resources to work on the DAW to reach higher on a new level. Those using Rack plugin will get to know what progress being made with the DAW, and will now and then start to enjoy doing some works within Reason DAW, and start to enjoy that as well.

Billy+

30 Mar 2021

Yonatan wrote:
30 Mar 2021
For Reason to offer a komplete kind of option with their RE’s seems to be a good move to survive. But I am sure they could bring in some extra folks if bringing the DAW up a few notches. I don’t want to see it as either or, they can exist at the same time.
It just gives RS some extra time and resources to work on the DAW to reach higher on a new level. Those using Rack plugin will get to know what progress being made with the DAW, and will now and then start to enjoy doing some works within Reason DAW, and start to enjoy that as well.
I have to agree with you.

It's definitely not an either or situation and anyone using Reason as a DAW and trying to make use of RRP in other DAW's is already hitting snags with the difference in workflow.

So improving Reason's DAW features definitely seems like it's going to happen at some point however I'm just not sure that it's going to happen in the next major version.

Billy+

30 Mar 2021

Mike B wrote:
30 Mar 2021
Reason was a rack with its own sequencer way before it became a plugin and although they have focused on the plugin side of things for the latest version that doesn't make it the end of the DAW as RS is very good at ignoring what people want in favour of what RS thinks Reason as a company needs...

And I'm sure they are fully aware of the direction and the implications.

I just hope that they increase the size of the DAW development team now they've got RRP and subscriptions out the way as content packs and new devices will only get you so far.

Jackjackdaw

30 Mar 2021

Mike B wrote:
30 Mar 2021

:lol: They aren't going to get over it.

I agree though. And I pretty much like it that way.

I know learning a new DAW is a PITA. Especially because if you want to do all the stuff Reason doesn't then you need a DAW that is by nesescity, more complex. Put the effort in though and you reach a zen nirvana of not giving a f*** if RS upgrade their DAW or not and enjoying it for what it is.

guitfnky

30 Mar 2021

the sad thing is, they’ve waited too long to address some of these lowest of low hanging of fruits. I waited patiently for years for them to bring the DAW up to some sort of parity with competitors. I wasn’t asking for much. mainly, I just wanted markers, auto punch, VST MIDI out, and a handful of other quality of life improvements that mostly should be exceedingly easy to add.

but they went too slow. and I ended up finally looking at other DAWs until I found one that I actually enjoy just as much as Reason—only, that handful of features that I wanted in Reason? it has them, and so much more—enough that I’m now spoiling myself with them.

so now, even if Reason 12 gives me all the stuff I’ve been asking for, they’re so far behind the ball, there’s almost zero chance it’ll have everything I’m starting to get used to having now. the likelihood I’ll come back to using it as my DAW in the next few years has become vanishingly small.

and if they’d focused more on basics in the last couple of years, the thought of looking elsewhere wouldn’t have even crossed my mind in any serious way.

and I can’t be alone. I really think their focus has done them a serious disservice, at least as far as the DAW is concerned.

but...I’m pulling for them. I hope they really knock it out of the park with 12, and make me consider making it my DAW again, instead of relegating it to a plugin.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

• Information