Reason 12 release date

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
WOO
Posts: 109
Joined: 07 Aug 2019

Post 05 May 2020

If reason does come out with a ver. 12 any ideas based on past release dates when it might show up?
We must forever extinguish the notion of war as an acceptable means of dealing with conflicts. Owsley

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 6142
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 05 May 2020

WOO wrote:
05 May 2020
If reason does come out with a ver. 12 any ideas based on past release dates when it might show up?
7 weeks after you buy Reason 11.
丰2ॐ

DaveyG
Posts: 668
Joined: 03 May 2020

Post 05 May 2020

Late next year at the earliest.

User avatar
BananaSkins
Posts: 348
Joined: 29 Sep 2017

Post 05 May 2020

R12 release date will just be speculation on this forum - Only Reason Studios will have any idea if any about R12 ???

Keep creating music and embrace the next update when it comes if you feel the need?

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 3858
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 05 May 2020

DaveyG wrote:
05 May 2020
Late next year at the earliest.
Next year yes. Late next year? I'd go with June-ish.
:reason:

Propellerhead Reason 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.25 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

User avatar
fieldframe
Posts: 917
Joined: 19 Apr 2016

Post 05 May 2020

Time for another installment of the Reason Almanac!

Image

An interesting find in the most recent update: Reason 11 was actually the longest wait for a version of Reason in nearly a decade, beating out even Reason 9’s 630-day development. While it’s unlikely we’ll see a return to Reason 5’s nearly three-year development cycle any time soon, version 11 was a notable departure from the 2010s’ 500-600 day cycles.

If Reason 12 takes as long as Reason 11, it would be released August 25, 2021.

If Reason 12 takes as long as Reason 10, it would be released January 28, 2021.

If Reason 12 takes an average amount of time based on the three most recent releases, it would be released May 24, 2021.
The Iron Law of Reason forums: All topics eventually turn into feature request threads; the only difference is how many posts it takes.

Looking for UI design? DM me for a portfolio.

Steedus
Posts: 418
Joined: 31 Aug 2015
Location: Melbourne, AU

Post 05 May 2020

MrFigg wrote:
05 May 2020
7 weeks after you buy Reason 11.
lol definitely this.

Yonatan
Posts: 1304
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 05 May 2020

R11.3 so far:

Rack plugin vst/ au/ aax
3 mixer rack devices
2 modulation effects
Seq midi edit/crossf
Beatmap player
Midi out device
Mp3 export

This list is what I base my asumption on that I would not be surprised to see a new version.
And they did not bring on more than axx in 11.3.

What more do you expect be added until 2021?
Last edited by Yonatan on 06 May 2020, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
MannequinRaces
Posts: 1467
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 05 May 2020

WOO wrote:
05 May 2020
If reason does come out with a ver. 12 any ideas based on past release dates when it might show up?
If?! Why wouldn't they, lol?

User avatar
zoidkirb
Posts: 511
Joined: 18 Nov 2018
Location: Brisbane Australia

Post 05 May 2020

MannequinRaces wrote:
05 May 2020
WOO wrote:
05 May 2020
If reason does come out with a ver. 12 any ideas based on past release dates when it might show up?
If?! Why wouldn't they, lol?
Matthias himself said somewhere 'If there is a Reason 12' on these very forums.
I think his explanation was something like they don't have any plans to but they would never rule out a name change or some sort of sales model change.

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 6829
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 06 May 2020

WOO wrote:
05 May 2020
If reason does come out with a ver. 12 any ideas based on past release dates when it might show up?
Sometime in 2021. That said, you'll likely see some more 11.x point updates before then.
zoidkirb wrote:
05 May 2020
Matthias himself said somewhere 'If there is a Reason 12' on these very forums.
I think his explanation was something like they don't have any plans to but they would never rule out a name change or some sort of sales model change.
This is a gross mischaracterization of his statement and completely misinterpreted, IMHO. Reason is literally the ONLY product that Reason Studios has that makes money (and the RE store that Reason uses). There is zero reason to think that Reason 11 is the last version they'd make, IMHO. Even if Reason Studios is sold, the new owner would clearly release new Reason versions. It's just too damn popular not to.
Win 10 | Reason 11 Suite |  Studio 1 4.6 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 & Force | Roland System 8, TR-8 7x7 Expansion, MX1, JX8P, TB3 | Ensoniq SQ1 Plus | Korg Minilogue XD

DaveyG
Posts: 668
Joined: 03 May 2020

Post 06 May 2020

Don't forget you need to factor in 6 months of reduced productivity due to covid-19. A team working from home Is not going to be as efficient, especially one that had to start working from home with almost no time to prepare.

Also remember that so far most of what they have added to R11 is stuff that should have been in the original release so they were already behind schedule before they started. The gap from R11 to R12 might be the biggest yet.

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 6829
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 06 May 2020

DaveyG wrote:
06 May 2020
Don't forget you need to factor in 6 months of reduced productivity due to covid-19. A team working from home Is not going to be as efficient, especially one that had to start working from home with almost no time to prepare.
Reason Studios is based out of Stockholm, Sweden, and Sweden's COVID-19 response was the lightest in the entire EU. Even if the Reason Studios staff was required to work from home, their efficiency is not likely to have been affected - the IT and software world loves working from home. Sweden only barred gatherings of people over 50, and Reason Studios dev staff is far smaller than that. Primary schools are open, as are bars and restaurants.
Win 10 | Reason 11 Suite |  Studio 1 4.6 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 & Force | Roland System 8, TR-8 7x7 Expansion, MX1, JX8P, TB3 | Ensoniq SQ1 Plus | Korg Minilogue XD

DaveyG
Posts: 668
Joined: 03 May 2020

Post 06 May 2020

EnochLight wrote:
06 May 2020
DaveyG wrote:
06 May 2020
Don't forget you need to factor in 6 months of reduced productivity due to covid-19. A team working from home Is not going to be as efficient, especially one that had to start working from home with almost no time to prepare.
… their efficiency is not likely to have been affected ...
I think you might live in cloud cuckoo land mate. Talk about rose-tinted spectacles. :roll:

visheshl
Posts: 412
Joined: 27 Sep 2019

Post 06 May 2020

:
MrFigg wrote:
05 May 2020
WOO wrote:
05 May 2020
If reason does come out with a ver. 12 any ideas based on past release dates when it might show up?
7 weeks after you buy Reason 11.
:D :D :D

User avatar
Aquila
Posts: 572
Joined: 21 Jan 2015

Post 06 May 2020

Yonatan wrote:
05 May 2020
Midi out 2.0
Wait, what?

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 6829
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 06 May 2020

DaveyG wrote:
06 May 2020

I think you might live in cloud cuckoo land mate. Talk about rose-tinted spectacles. :roll:
Are you purposely avoiding reading all news on what’s going on in Sweden right now compared to the rest of the world? Serious question. :? :shock: :o
Win 10 | Reason 11 Suite |  Studio 1 4.6 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 & Force | Roland System 8, TR-8 7x7 Expansion, MX1, JX8P, TB3 | Ensoniq SQ1 Plus | Korg Minilogue XD

Ulpu
Posts: 187
Joined: 17 Mar 2020

Post 06 May 2020

I saw the topic "Reason 12 release date" and was "oh my gosh! they are releasing Reason 12!!!!" :D

Edit: To be clear: I was thinking they are releasing it like this week or something :mrgreen:

User avatar
BananaSkins
Posts: 348
Joined: 29 Sep 2017

Post 06 May 2020

I thought this topic was about Cuckoo’s living in Sweden! :puf_bigsmile: :lol:

User avatar
Kategra
Posts: 313
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 06 May 2020

DaveyG wrote:
06 May 2020
EnochLight wrote:
06 May 2020


… their efficiency is not likely to have been affected ...
I think you might live in cloud cuckoo land mate. Talk about rose-tinted spectacles. :roll:
I work from home for 6 weeks now, my productivity is higher than before (mobile networks). My software developer colleagues have also increased their productivity.

kitekrazy
Posts: 827
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 06 May 2020

I find the knee jerk reaction when something is on sale - "that means version X is just around the corner".

User avatar
pushedbutton
Posts: 1336
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Lancashire, UK

Post 06 May 2020

Purely a speculation but i think the chance of reason 12 being on the table in the first half of 2021 is pretty unlikely.
Main version releases have slowed down but development keeps on. I think it would give us a clearer picture if we could see when incremental updates were introduced. For example, Reason 9.5 introduced VST support on 29th May 2017 which no doubt gave people using reason 8 or before a bit of nudge to update.
A general rule of thumb for a new version would be when everyone in the market has what they're selling they draw a line under it and start a new product. I still think there's a fair amount of Reason 10 users out there would could be persuaded to buy Reason 11 if it gets an incremental update that ticks one of their boxes.
The sale price for Suite in tandem with the 11.3 update shows they are still focusing on the Reason 11 package for the foreseeable future.
If I had two beans to rub together at the moment I'd be tempted, I'm sure covid 19 will make predicting what will happen in the coming months almost impossible.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

User avatar
geronimo
Posts: 452
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: France

Post 06 May 2020

Yonatan wrote:
05 May 2020
What more do you expect be added until 2021?
That the Reason Rack mono version works fine in AU format with MOTU Digital Performer 10.

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 3858
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 06 May 2020

fieldframe wrote:
05 May 2020
Time for another installment of the Reason Almanac!

Image

An interesting find in the most recent update: Reason 11 was actually the longest wait for a version of Reason in nearly a decade, beating out even Reason 9’s 630-day development. While it’s unlikely we’ll see a return to Reason 5’s nearly three-year development cycle any time soon, version 11 was a notable departure from the 2010s’ 500-600 day cycles.

If Reason 12 takes as long as Reason 11, it would be released August 25, 2021.

If Reason 12 takes as long as Reason 10, it would be released January 28, 2021.

If Reason 12 takes an average amount of time based on the three most recent releases, it would be released May 24, 2021.
Yeah like I said, mid 2021-ish is most likely.

Reason 11.4 in a couple of months or so (early August latest), 11.5 at the end of the year, probably mid-end November. Possibly another point release before 12? has there ever been a point version after a .5 release of Reason?
:reason:

Propellerhead Reason 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.25 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

User avatar
fieldframe
Posts: 917
Joined: 19 Apr 2016

Post 06 May 2020

Creativemind wrote:
06 May 2020
Yeah like I said, mid 2021-ish is most likely.

Reason 11.4 in a couple of months or so (early August latest), 11.5 at the end of the year, probably mid-end November. Possibly another point release before 12? has there ever been a point version after a .5 release of Reason?
There have actually only been three .5 releases in Reason’s history.
fieldframe wrote:
27 Feb 2019
In another thread, I looked at the past decade of Reason point releases, and there were only two .5 versions, 6.5 and 9.5. They were both blockbusters that completely changed the Reason ecosystem: Reason 6.5 opened up Reason to Rack Extensions, and 9.5 finally broke the 15-year exile of VST support.
Those are the two from the past decade, the only other .5 release being 2.5, which introduced the first non-half-rack effect devices all the way back in 2003.

As an aside, if we’re getting hiDPI support / the UI rewrite this time around, it’s probably coming in 11.4. Maybe RS would consider it a big enough deal for an 11.5, but historically, it’s a high bar.
The Iron Law of Reason forums: All topics eventually turn into feature request threads; the only difference is how many posts it takes.

Looking for UI design? DM me for a portfolio.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], esefelipe, Trendiction [Bot] and 3 guests