Is this a known bug? Sometimes I can't drag in devices or patches from the browser

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Boombastix
Competition Winner

03 May 2020

Sometimes I can't drag in devices or patches from the browser in v10.4 (Windows 10). Is this a known bug, that it just stoppes doing this? Has is been fixed in v11?
Is there any way to get normal function back or is restarting the only fix?
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Sterioevo

03 May 2020

I have experienced some similar issues, affecting the ability to get access to right click menu options. In the past I have had some success by opening a new document, closing this new document and then going back into the open project. FWIW I have also experienced this issue with Ableton, plus I am on a Mac and Version 11.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

03 May 2020

I get it quite often. Drag the instrument in but it doesn’t add to the rack. I usually just click somewhere in the blackness of the empty rack background and it works again.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Seckin

04 May 2020

Same here. Coming from how lively a DAW Reason is, I have come to believe that devices have feelings too. Sometimes they are just not in the mood and don't wanna come out and play :redface: You gotta fiddle around the rack and humour them, just like MrFigg said. Then it will work and they will do wonders for you.
If you can't make a hit with Malstrom, Subtractor and Redrum, you can't make a hit at all.

Loque

04 May 2020

Hmm...i can remember, there was a problem, when i minimized a VST window...could this be the problem?
Reason12, Win10

Jackjackdaw

04 May 2020

I was going to suggest the VST bug as well. If you have a VST open and minimise it then the rack won't let you drag stuff in. (R10 at least) I have got into the habit of closing VST Windows rather than clicking out of them.

selig
RE Developer

04 May 2020

I've never seen this (I'm on a Mac). Does the orange insertion indicator appear in these cases? Can you make a video showing this the next time it happens?

I'm trying everything I can think of to make this happen, and cannot - can anyone force this behavior on their machines?
Selig Audio, LLC

MannequinRaces

04 May 2020

If you are using favorites to do this there is a known bug that has been reported. If you are not using favorites then maybe it could be related, not sure.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

04 May 2020

No orange indicator.
Don't remember if there was a minimized VST. I usually just close or keep them open, but it is a possiblity. I'll try to remember that.

Anyone know if it was fixed in v11?

joeyluck

04 May 2020

The ability to minimize VSTs was completely removed on macOS because of bugs :(

I was hoping they would be able to fix those bugs, because being able to keep VST windows open and recalling them from the dock is a big workflow helper.

On macOS it was possible to open several windows of the same instance of a VST, which would crash Reason. Also VST windows left minimized after closing Reason would remain in the dock. I reported those, and then the minimize feature was removed completely.

If there is a bug on Windows associated with minimizing VST windows, be careful reporting it, because the fix might just be to remove it :P lol

Jmax

04 May 2020

Yes, I've definitely had that issue many times. I find it's when I have a lot going on in the project. All of a sudden instruments just won't drag over, neither will Players or FX.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

04 May 2020

Well, minimizing a VST definitively makes this bug happen. Rack-lanes on the left may still work though. Sometimes the Rack-lane with the minimized VST works if you can get the orange marker to show at the very left corner. But then a Rack-lane to the right may work sometimes at the very right corner. Closing the VST makes it work again as normal. Gosh it got so bug ridden after the buffer size fix, at least it is not the worst though and easy to fix if you remember it.

• Information