Transfer into block?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Ulpu

24 Apr 2020

If I create stuff on the "song mode", is there a simple way to turn that section into block? Like in the picture. I would like to turn this section into block. Or is the only way to just copy - paste everything one by one into block?
Attachments
SongMode.PNG
SongMode.PNG (28.26 KiB) Viewed 694 times

1reasonable

24 Apr 2020

I’ve tried and given up- I’ve learned that the only way is to begin your project using Blocks.In fact, I went through the laborious process you have and bizarrely, the key of the song was shifted by a few semi-tones in Blocks mode! I found the whole thing extremely frustrating and gave up on what I think is a counter-intuitive method of song creation-certainly in Reason anyway! In its current implementation for me it also bottlenecks the creative process. I found myself getting bogged down in it. Maybe this should have been addressed in R 11? I’m still on R 10.4 waiting for what will turn up in R 12!
…………………………………………………………………

:reason: 11.3.6 ,  iMac Intel Core i5 (late 2012) OSX 10.13.6 High Sierra

chimp_spanner

24 Apr 2020

Yeah just ctrl/cmd X, B, ctrl/cmd V. If you need to get an entire chunk out of the sequencer use the razor tool on the ruler and it will cut all parts on all tracks.

Personally I think the system is pretty cool - I like that I can override block data from the normal sequencer. But it is a case of knowing that you want to work in blocks from the start (or else manually populating them as above).

Mostly I just use it to get things started and at least get my rhythm section in place. For instruments that I want to have a lot of variation it doesn’t make much sense to put them in blocks so lead parts and incidental fx, automation, etc. I just keep in the main sequencer. One thing I’d like to be able to change more easily is block names. Mildly irritating to have to go into a block to rename it.

I’d love to see the addition of instanced note clips too. That + blocks would be a powerhouse!

Ulpu

24 Apr 2020

chimp_spanner wrote:
24 Apr 2020
Yeah just ctrl/cmd X, B, ctrl/cmd V. If you need to get an entire chunk out of the sequencer use the razor tool on the ruler and it will cut all parts on all tracks.
Aah... That is pretty handy actually. Thanks for the tip :thumbs_up:

Ulpu

24 Apr 2020

Is there a way to rename your blocks? Or only change the coloring?

deigm

24 Apr 2020

Ulpu wrote:
24 Apr 2020
Not in front of the DAW right now but im pretty sure you can just double click the title of the block and name it whatever you want. Just double click where it says 'Block 1' or whatever the default name is.

Ulpu

24 Apr 2020

deigm wrote:
24 Apr 2020
Ulpu wrote:
24 Apr 2020
Not in front of the DAW right now but im pretty sure you can just double click the title of the block and name it whatever you want. Just double click where it says 'Block 1' or whatever the default name is.
Ah, I only tried clicking in the song mode - not when it's in the block mode. In block mode it works.

thx

25 Apr 2020

You can also add labels to block instances. Blocks are cool when using multiple instances, each with various muted clips, so the labelling could be helpful in describing what's happening. Or for motivational quotes.

• Information