I think I'm done with Reason, should I sell my license?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Mike B

22 Apr 2020

reddust wrote:
22 Apr 2020
Hi,

after some years being a Reason user and seeing the direction this company has taken lately and specially after purchasing Ableton Live as an alternative DAW for my projects I think I'm finally done with Reason and my first idea was to upgrade for the last time to R11 so I could use my rack extensions inside Ableton Live but honestly, I don't think it is even worth making that step anymore since everything I need to create can also be done with Live and the VST plugins I already own.

So, my questions are:
1. If I sell my license, can I also give the buyer my rack extensions or are these lost?
2. Which price would you consider fair to sell my license if I decide to do it? I mean, for the base program, which is Reason 10.4, if it's possible to give the rack extensions to the buyer I would calculate some additional price myself.
3. Is there really any "Reason to stay inside"? Because for me having the plugin rack now as an AAX or remembering how good are synths like Thor, Maelstrom or Subtractor is not really a convincing argument.

Unbelievable. I literally came to the forum to post the exact same post with the exact questions.

koshal

22 Apr 2020

I'd keep it if I were you. Jump over to Ableton and upgrade Reason at some point and view it as any other VST instrument (ie Kontakt, Omnisphere, etc) that you can use to supplement the built in Live instruments/effects.

If you could actually sell/transfer your Rack Extensions and get most of your money back maybe I'd advise otherwise.. but I can't see the upside if you're gonna lose all your REs and not get much in return.

The upside of keeping it is you never know what they are gonna add in the future. Maybe they add some killer instrument or hi-res GUI that makes it much more appealing to use inside Ableton. You may be upset down the line that you sold it for pennies on the dollar (factoring the price you paid for REs) when you could get that new thing for a cheap upgrade price from your current version.

FWIW I've moved on to another DAW as my primary (Studio One) but now still use Reason a lot as a VST and a quick sketchpad standalone sometimes.
Last edited by koshal on 22 Apr 2020, edited 2 times in total.

EdGrip

22 Apr 2020

I'm spending more time with Live+Push at the moment than Reason, but modular sound design is still better in Reason. With RRP I can do most of that with the advantages of Live.

Max For Live stuff is fun, but heavy on the CPU. Live in general is heavy on the CPU compared to Reason, I find. A M4L autopanner modulated by a couple of M4L LFOs makes a non-negligible impact on CPU - a similar device is nothing at all to Reason. If you give M4L a parameter to modulate, you can no longer manually adjust that parameter. Etc etc.

Not sure how Props would be able to demonstrate ownership of a Reason account had changed hands. The non-transferable REs thing is still a wanker's trick and I would be wholly in favour of sticking it to them.
Last edited by EdGrip on 22 Apr 2020, edited 1 time in total.

EdGrip

22 Apr 2020

If anybody reading this in the future wants a more Reasony Ableton Live - you need Bitwig.

Oquasec

23 Apr 2020

Some people like the rack plugin, some wanna use the standalone version still.
I do think the rack plugin is more modernized, as was rewire.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

23 Apr 2020

Ask yourself this:

Do you actually need the cash? If yes, then there is an incentive to sell if you are not using it.

Otherwise, just let it gather dust for a bit, and the next time you feel a creative stalling point in Live, or whatever, then use it at that point. Basically, if you sell it outright, you are quite likely to regret it, because the lush greener grass of novelty doesn't stay with new software for long, and sooner or later you will want to move away from the Live workflow.

I tend to gravitate between Reason and Maschine as my main program, over a relatively long period - usually about 6-9 months or so. As a result I'm better with both programs, and rarely bored.

Why burn the bridge if you don't need to?

Peace,
Brian

Oquasec

23 Apr 2020

Reason and FL for as long as they exist.
Cubase and Reason for as long as they have coders.
Mileage may vary, but after a while you should be satisfied with yourself.
Producer/Programmer.

Loque

23 Apr 2020

If i would always sell some fx, synths, licenses from something i didnt used for a while, i would have to sell a lot of stuff. But i learned, i really need only a few of them all, but all of them are good if my creativity is stucked or i am bored.
Reason12, Win10

OverneathTheSkyBridg

23 Apr 2020

I'd upgrade to R11 and leave it at that. This let's you take all the stuff you bought with you. If you sell it you're basically burning all the money you already spent on REs.

EdGrip

23 Apr 2020

What Enlightenspeed said - having more than one piece of software is good, each making you think, and approach music making, in a different way. That's worth having.

Trying to have one piece of software that you've soothingly convinced yourself is the best one is ultimately gonna lead to frustration, because of course none of them are "best" and you'll always be wondering if you need to buy Studio One or whatever.

plaamook

23 Apr 2020

I sold ReCycle once because I stopped using it for ages, then last year I had to buy it again for a project. Paid slightly larger amount for a used license than I sold it for. Pointless transaction.

Made doubly pointless by the poor implimentation of slice editing in Reason in order to (I assume) salvage some Recycel sales but lets not start on that one.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

reddust

23 Apr 2020

Well, I think you've convinced me and since I don't need the money now I'll just do nothing, I mean, I won't sell my license but I won't update yet either and let Reason hibernate for a while, it could indeed be possible that the Reason update I wished would have happened with R11 comes first with R15 or another future version and if that day comes it might be worth for me to buy the update.

With the current reselling polices it is not worth to sell my license since I find it quite unfair that we can't give our rack extensions to the new buyer, not even for free

Oquasec

23 Apr 2020

Well you could just leave it then. If for some reason you dont use anything or dont utilize CV anymore there isn't really a reason for you to keep producing with it.

Reason is for people who like refills and rack extensions.
A huge part of reason is refills and RE, if you dont like those formats it is not for you.
Producer/Programmer.

dan_g

23 Apr 2020

Oquasec wrote:
23 Apr 2020

Reason is for people who like refills and rack extensions.
A huge part of reason is refills and RE, if you dont like those formats it is not for you.
i can only sign this half. i have barely any 3rd Party refills. Also REs and VSTs are a bonus but i definitly love reason for its workflow with the Rack and the Mixer. Thats why i will stick with it as my DAW for now. The 11 Update was not for me but maybe 12 or 13.. when RS still exists in this form then.

BR
Daniel
:reason: :record: :re: :refill: :ignition: - 12 - Hobbyist
minimal techno - deep minimal dubstep - drum 'n' bass/neurofunk - brostep/deathstep - band recording

New Release: https://open.spotify.com/track/5mQ1XEQtZcVeFVfZvcS5kw

Oquasec

23 Apr 2020

Got bout 100gb of refills rn
Last edited by Oquasec on 23 Apr 2020, edited 1 time in total.
Producer/Programmer.

Sterioevo

23 Apr 2020

don't mean to probe, but...
how much RE you talking?

What are you looking at giving over to sell out?
What are your losses?

: )

chimp_spanner

23 Apr 2020

reddust wrote:
23 Apr 2020
Well, I think you've convinced me and since I don't need the money now I'll just do nothing, I mean, I won't sell my license but I won't update yet either and let Reason hibernate for a while, it could indeed be possible that the Reason update I wished would have happened with R11 comes first with R15 or another future version and if that day comes it might be worth for me to buy the update.

With the current reselling polices it is not worth to sell my license since I find it quite unfair that we can't give our rack extensions to the new buyer, not even for free
It's funny cos my path to full time Reason'ing was basically that - I had it since version 2. Upgraded to Record, totally forgot about it until 8.something. Stuck with it ever since. I'd actually gone full time before it even had VST so by the time it did get it it was just a nice bonus (although I couldn't live without it now!). I'd say at some point I might start working seriously in Cubase again. I mean I've been on *that* since version 2 on the Atari in the 90s. It was black and white! It is a great DAW. I just don't find it as inspiring right now. But it definitely has some stuff I need.

BigPictureSound

23 Apr 2020

reddust wrote:
22 Apr 2020
Hi,

after some years being a Reason user and seeing the direction this company has taken lately and specially after purchasing Ableton Live as an alternative DAW for my projects I think I'm finally done with Reason and my first idea was to upgrade for the last time to R11 so I could use my rack extensions inside Ableton Live but honestly, I don't think it is even worth making that step anymore since everything I need to create can also be done with Live and the VST plugins I already own.

So, my questions are:
1. If I sell my license, can I also give the buyer my rack extensions or are these lost?
2. Which price would you consider fair to sell my license if I decide to do it? I mean, for the base program, which is Reason 10.4, if it's possible to give the rack extensions to the buyer I would calculate some additional price myself.
3. Is there really any "Reason to stay inside"? Because for me having the plugin rack now as an AAX or remembering how good are synths like Thor, Maelstrom or Subtractor is not really a convincing argument.
The grass is always greener, in my own personal experience having owned most of the major brands. I think you’ll regret losing the option to have Reason as a rack. Think of it as the last FX plugin you could ever need.

BigPictureSound

23 Apr 2020

EdGrip wrote:
23 Apr 2020
What Enlightenspeed said - having more than one piece of software is good, each making you think, and approach music making, in a different way. That's worth having.

Trying to have one piece of software that you've soothingly convinced yourself is the best one is ultimately gonna lead to frustration, because of course none of them are "best" and you'll always be wondering if you need to buy Studio One or whatever.
Absolutely! I use:

-Logic Pro for orchestration with many instances of Kontakt thanks to Metal release
-Bitwig for Sci-fi and ambient soundscapes thanks to endless modulators
-Reason for sound design thanks to combinator and routing

Sterioevo

23 Apr 2020

if you sell it and then buy it again, do you get to keep your RE's?

Oquasec

23 Apr 2020

Sterioevo wrote:
23 Apr 2020
RE are super locked to profiles because codemeter.
So no.
Producer/Programmer.

antic604

23 Apr 2020

Oquasec wrote:
23 Apr 2020
Sterioevo wrote:
23 Apr 2020
So no.
Are you sure? I though if one sold Reason the REs would still stay in the account. Didn't some people sell full Reason, bought Lite and used their REs with it?
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

xylyx

23 Apr 2020

antic604 wrote:
23 Apr 2020
Oquasec wrote:
23 Apr 2020

So no.
Are you sure? I though if one sold Reason the REs would still stay in the account. Didn't some people sell full Reason, bought Lite and used their REs with it?
Yes, the REs are locked to your Reason Studios account, so if you re-buy and register it with that account, then the REs are ready and waiting...

YeahYeahYeahNo

23 Apr 2020

This is somewhat off topic but also related, I think I'm done with Ableton Live, should I sell my license?

I'm so used to the reason workflow and think Reason is THE daw I don't even use Live at all anymore and find it really clunky, I only got Live because my favourite producers used it (I'm an idiot) and I thought I'd make use of the playing Live function which I doubt I'll ever do now maybe (I'm an idiot again). Has anybody else gone through this? anybody use Reason when playing Live? Is Ableton the T1000 of DAWs? Is Reason Studios gonna have a place in this post-pandemic world? Is the sky even blue anymore?

Loque

23 Apr 2020

YeahYeahYeahNo wrote:
23 Apr 2020
This is somewhat off topic but also related, I think I'm done with Ableton Live, should I sell my license?

I'm so used to the reason workflow and think Reason is THE daw I don't even use Live at all anymore and find it really clunky, I only got Live because my favourite producers used it (I'm an idiot) and I thought I'd make use of the playing Live function which I doubt I'll ever do now maybe (I'm an idiot again). Has anybody else gone through this? anybody use Reason when playing Live? Is Ableton the T1000 of DAWs? Is Reason Studios gonna have a place in this post-pandemic world? Is the sky even blue anymore?
Considering your last and only 2nd post, you found your destiny.
Reason12, Win10

• Information