I think I'm done with Reason, should I sell my license?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
reddust

22 Apr 2020

Hi,

after some years being a Reason user and seeing the direction this company has taken lately and specially after purchasing Ableton Live as an alternative DAW for my projects I think I'm finally done with Reason and my first idea was to upgrade for the last time to R11 so I could use my rack extensions inside Ableton Live but honestly, I don't think it is even worth making that step anymore since everything I need to create can also be done with Live and the VST plugins I already own.

So, my questions are:
1. If I sell my license, can I also give the buyer my rack extensions or are these lost?
2. Which price would you consider fair to sell my license if I decide to do it? I mean, for the base program, which is Reason 10.4, if it's possible to give the rack extensions to the buyer I would calculate some additional price myself.
3. Is there really any "Reason to stay inside"? Because for me having the plugin rack now as an AAX or remembering how good are synths like Thor, Maelstrom or Subtractor is not really a convincing argument.

paulred67

22 Apr 2020

You cannot re-sell Rack Extensions.
Studio One 6, Melodyne 5 Studio, Nord Stage, Roland RD-88, VR-730, Jupiter-Xm, JD-08, Arturia V Collection X, Pigments 5, Korg Collection 3, East West Cloud, Sampletank 4, Miroslav Philharmonic 2, Syntronik, Sampletron, Hammond B-3X, Blue 3, Pianoteq.

reddust

22 Apr 2020

thanks, for me one more Reason not to stay inside

antic604

22 Apr 2020

No, you can't transfer REs to new license owner. You can sell your account (login & password) in practice, but that's against the ToS and if RS finds out they can block it for the new user.

But I think you should keep it and actually upgrade to 11 for Rack VST. It may seem on the surface that you can do the same things with VSTs, but in reality you often can't, e.g. you can't take LFO from synth and hook it up to effect and many other things we take for granted. Sure, in Live - assuming you're on Suite? - you can add a native LFO and use that to modulate both the instrument and FX, but the workflow isn't nearly the same. Many of Reason's FX are multi-purpose, which is kinda rare in VST world, many instruments are quite unique (Parsec, Nostromo, Resonans, etc.) and especially Players' equivalents are hard to find...

But it might well be your music doesn't really need any of that, so then it's a valid question and it might be the best way to go for you.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

orthodox
RE Developer

22 Apr 2020

Why sell it? You won't gain much from that. I would just stop using it and forget about it for a while. I can change my mind, after all.

Zac

22 Apr 2020

You could sell R10 and buy R11 Intro. You get the Reason plug in and access to all your REs, so long as you buy to the same account.

reddust

22 Apr 2020

antic604 wrote:
22 Apr 2020
No, you can't transfer REs to new license owner. You can sell your account (login & password) in practice, but that's against the ToS and if RS finds out they can block it for the new user.

But I think you should keep it and actually upgrade to 11 for Rack VST. It may seem on the surface that you can do the same things with VSTs, but in reality you often can't, e.g. you can't take LFO from synth and hook it up to effect and many other things we take for granted. Sure, in Live - assuming you're on Suite? - you can add a native LFO and use that to modulate both the instrument and FX, but the workflow isn't nearly the same. Many of Reason's FX are multi-purpose, which is kinda rare in VST world, many instruments are quite unique (Parsec, Nostromo, Resonans, etc.) and especially Players' equivalents are hard to find...

But it might well be your music doesn't really need any of that, so then it's a valid question and it might be the best way to go for you.
Some of the rack extensions I own are actually the reason why I am still hesitating to sell my license, and some of these are indeed Parsec and Resonans, and also Sequencer, Complex-1, Super Audio Card (which also is available as a VST but why pay for it again when I already own it as a RE...)
orthodox wrote:
22 Apr 2020
Why sell it? You won't gain much from that. I would just stop using it and forget about it for a while. I can change my mind, after all.
yeah, I'm still thinking about it and I guess I opened this thread just to see what speaks for and against selling my license from different perspectives so I can better see if it's worth selling or not :)
Zac wrote:
22 Apr 2020
You could sell R10 and buy R11 Intro. You get the Reason plug in and access to all your REs, so long as you buy to the same account.
this sounds like a very interesting option, so I could save some money on buying R11 Intro and at the same time keep using my current rack extensions, thanks for the hint

demt

22 Apr 2020

knock out a couple of loops and keep it ,more fun per loop than any other daw
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

VariableX

22 Apr 2020

I think you are mad! no other DAW comes close to Reason!

Jackjackdaw

22 Apr 2020

I thought about selling my full 10 and buying 11 intro but decided it wasnt worth the hassle for the small change. I may as well just fork out for the upgrade. If you have a load of Re.s then there is more money to be lost than gained. may as well keep it on the back burner or get the upgrade. Reason synths are something special even if the DAW is thin on features.

chimp_spanner

22 Apr 2020

I mean, if you don't need the cash, why not keep it? You'll have access to all of your REs in Ableton within the RRP. You don't have to de-install and sell Reason just because you're trying something else out. Sounds like a bad breakup :lol: Throwing all their stuff in the bin haha. It's just another tool for the job and one you might be pleased you kept down the line.

madmacman

22 Apr 2020

If cash isn‘t an issue, I would join the choir and suggest to keep the license „as is“.

And I‘m saying this as a leaver who uses mainly S1 now. But as said before in this thread: sometimes Reason comes in handy for more complex stuff and even without spending extra money on the R11 VST, it‘s still possible to use ReWire or plain good old stems.

:thumbs_up:

Oquasec

22 Apr 2020

Tbh I would never trade Reason for Live. Never in a million years would I do that ever.
But max for live can do what reason does, that's a fact.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Yonatan

22 Apr 2020

And it can be good to wait and see just what next point update deliver or next bigger sale.
If good, upgrade, if lackluster, put R10 in a closet and focus on ABLive so much that suddenly R12 is out and if that blows your mind or the very opposite, then make the move to upgrade, buy intro or sell license but keep account for later to buy intro or standard version at a sale if something great comes to the RE shop that you would love to have.

reddust

22 Apr 2020

fretshot7 wrote:
22 Apr 2020
Haha, maybe you're right, possibly this long staying home thing is starting to weaken my mental health :lol:

Cash is not a problem, or better said, I don't need the money so I wouldn't sell the license just for the money, the question is that I like working on a single DAW rather than using several depending on purposes, so it might make sense to get the RRP so I can concentrate my work in Ableton Live and use my rack extensions through the RRP.

And here is where cash might become a problem, then I don't think it's worth upgrading from R10 to R11 just to be able to use my rack extensions inside Ableton Live. That's when I started to think, ok, then I'll get rid of Reason and try to create with just Ableton Live and my VST, these are surely more than enough for me to make the music I aim to.

But I personally find it too sad to throw away the rack extensions I have purchased through the last years. I mean, if I at least could give them to the new buyer it would be not too bad, but selling the license and these rack extensions, which I consider very good and interesting kind of keeps me from getting completely rid of Reason.
chimp_spanner wrote:
22 Apr 2020
I mean, if you don't need the cash, why not keep it? You'll have access to all of your REs in Ableton within the RRP. You don't have to de-install and sell Reason just because you're trying something else out. Sounds like a bad breakup :lol:
And now that I mentioned the rack extensions as the main reason not to sell my license, maybe you're right and this is like a bad breakup, like, ok Reason and I, we might not be made for each other, maybe we can't live together... but what happens with the kids (of course here I mean the rack extensions)? who is going to take care of them? :lol:

If I had R11 already this wouldn't be a problem, I would just use the RRP inside Ableton Live, but for now I think I'll have to think about which is the best option for me. Of course keeping my R10 as it is would be also one possible option. Anyways, thanks for all of the answers and ideas here, they're all helping me to take a decision and I won't decide in a rush since I don't need the money and these days I'm working in a different part of my project ideas that aren't directly related to making music.

chimp_spanner

22 Apr 2020

reddust wrote:
22 Apr 2020
fretshot7 wrote:
22 Apr 2020
Haha, maybe you're right, possibly this long staying home thing is starting to weaken my mental health :lol:

Cash is not a problem, or better said, I don't need the money so I wouldn't sell the license just for the money, the question is that I like working on a single DAW rather than using several depending on purposes, so it might make sense to get the RRP so I can concentrate my work in Ableton Live and use my rack extensions through the RRP.

And here is where cash might become a problem, then I don't think it's worth upgrading from R10 to R11 just to be able to use my rack extensions inside Ableton Live. That's when I started to think, ok, then I'll get rid of Reason and try to create with just Ableton Live and my VST, these are surely more than enough for me to make the music I aim to.

But I personally find it too sad to throw away the rack extensions I have purchased through the last years. I mean, if I at least could give them to the new buyer it would be not too bad, but selling the license and these rack extensions, which I consider very good and interesting kind of keeps me from getting completely rid of Reason.
chimp_spanner wrote:
22 Apr 2020
I mean, if you don't need the cash, why not keep it? You'll have access to all of your REs in Ableton within the RRP. You don't have to de-install and sell Reason just because you're trying something else out. Sounds like a bad breakup :lol:
And now that I mentioned the rack extensions as the main reason not to sell my license, maybe you're right and this is like a bad breakup, like, ok Reason and I, we might not be made for each other, maybe we can't live together... but what happens with the kids (of course here I mean the rack extensions)? who is going to take care of them? :lol:

If I had R11 already this wouldn't be a problem, I would just use the RRP inside Ableton Live, but for now I think I'll have to think about which is the best option for me. Of course keeping my R10 as it is would be also one possible option. Anyways, thanks for all of the answers and ideas here, they're all helping me to take a decision and I won't decide in a rush since I don't need the money and these days I'm working in a different part of my project ideas that aren't directly related to making music.
Ah sorry I didn't clock that you were still on 10!! Obviously that changes things somewhat, although I'd still say that having it as an option to work in when you fancy a change is still worth it. I know some people who were on the fence about staying in Reason viewed 11 as their 'get out fee'. In as much as one final update would liberate their RE purchases from the Reason DAW, in light of the fact that they can't be sold. Depends if you think it's worth paying to give you access to those instruments. Personally I love having the Reason synths in Cubase now. I know those devices sooo much better than anything in Komplete or anything like that. But yeah whether or not it's worth it for you is totally a personal thing!

sdst
Competition Winner

22 Apr 2020

upgrade to reason 11 and use your REs wherever you want. :)

Biolumin3sc3nt

22 Apr 2020

I've found V. 11 Suite to be one of the best buys so far in a long time. Don't sell Your license! Go out for a walk and step away from the Computer for a minute.

PhillipOrdonez

22 Apr 2020

Wait for a sale and upgrade or wait for 12. You can focus on live for a while and with time the itch use Reason will come back.

enossified

22 Apr 2020

reddust wrote:
22 Apr 2020
Which price would you consider fair to sell my license if I decide to do it? I mean, for the base program, which is Reason 10.4
Did anyone answer this yet?

The update from any version of Live to the latest is always $129 so the resale value of old versions is always the same, unless the buyer needs an older version for a specific reason like using an older OS/computer or needing Rewire.

Live brand new is $399, 399 - 129 = 270. So I wouldn't ask for more than $150...150 + 129 = 279...so the buyer would save $120 over buying new. The lower you price it at, the faster it will sell.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

22 Apr 2020

I say keep Reason, especially since the money isn't a big issue for you. Take a break from it if it doesn't do it for you right now. Who knows, in 2 years you might feel like making a couple of tracks in Reason again. The fact that it has some limitations doesn't even have to be a bad thing. Different tools inspires different music, at least in my experience. It's not always about this vs that.

ShelLuser

22 Apr 2020

Why bet all your money on a single horse though? Of course it depends on what you're using your DAW(s) for and in full fairness I am biased as heck here as well because I've been using Ableton Live (suite) together with Reason for over 10 years now. But for me this is truly a "power combo".

There are tons of things which you'll be able to do in Reason and not as easily in Live. And vice versa of course. But even though I invested heavily into Native Instruments last year (complemented my home studio with Maschine Mk3 + Komplete 12 ultimate + Komplete Audio 6; my setup is truly 'powered by Komplete' right now) I still highly favor and recommend the use of Reason. Either rewired into Live (Reason 10 and prior versions) or as a rack extension through 11 (which also gives you free access to Beat Map. There are plenty of things which Reason has that Live does not... Alligator, Echo, Pulsar, Polar but also what to think about Komplex, Synchronous and the player series? Better yet: what about the combination of this whole lot rolled into one rack?

And sure... using Max for Live I can come up with an Alligator mock-up, in fact I've actually done just that. But it's still not the same.

My point though... there's absolutely nothing wrong with focusing on one single environment, Live in your case. In fact, I think it's a wise decision because Live has been at the heart of my home studio for a long time now and it's like elastic... There's also something to say for not becoming a hoarder and instead trying to focus on the stuff you already own and get the most out of it (I sure felt a bit like a 'hoarder' when I dove headfirst into Komplete ;)).

But since you already own Reason... why not just keep it and utilize it to enhance on your workflow? It seems like a waste to me to let all that potential just go to waste.
--- :reason:

Sterioevo

22 Apr 2020

Do you not have material you would like to further develop?

Funnily enough, I have found my sweet spot going outside Reason with Ableton - i.e. using both independently with Link.

Ableton is the sequencer / midi master.
Reason is the instruments and effects.
I can make use of Push sequencer integration into Reason via Ableton's Midi Out.
Best of both worlds, for my workflow.

I record the midi into Reason, bounce down and out to Ableton. And around it goes.

I have tried to transfer some of my material across using the Reason VST and exporting midi, it is much easier for me to work in this way.

kitekrazy

22 Apr 2020

I wonder what reaction you would get outside of this forum. Just keep it. Maybe you'll like something in Reason 15 and hopefully they don't raise the upgrade pricing. Maybe it's me but I would think DAW licenses would be a hard sell unless you almost give it away,

• Information