Would you upgrade from 11...?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Ulpu

10 Apr 2020

Just out of curiosity - what would Reason12 need to offer for you to upgrade from 11? A new synth? Or something else... what? Or is Reason11 offering enough for your needs?

For me Reason11 seems to have plenty. Especially the VST support is such a gate to huge collection of different synths. But I confess, I might start drooling for Reason12 even though I now think I don’t need anything new :D

Loque

10 Apr 2020

Just take alook at all those polls here about that. For me, clearly sequencer improvements. Just finished a track and stumbled over
* Got lost in the rack and sequencer
* Could not find specific devices
* God damn fcking VST always pops out if i double click the sequencer track. Stop it!
* Still no grouping of, lets say the drum stuff or 5 hi hat tracks or put the vox samples into a group and stuff like that
* Same grouping for mixer tracks (well, as soon as i have my bus chanels, i can mostly focus on them tho)
* Tiny little knobs...let me zoom in pls
* Just let me draw that sequencer down or repeat the sample
* Stop going into the piano roll for specific samples when i just want to edit the slices (in my head i have "adjust rythm" and not "adjust pitch" - brings me out of my workflow!)
* and so on and so forth...

I will not upgrad for another synth or more samples. I mainly upgraded to 10 for the curved automation lol
Reason12, Win10

xboix

10 Apr 2020

All I need to be persuaded to upgrade to 12 is enough time to have gone by since 11 launched, for there to have been plenty of ongoing free additions and fixes to 11 and for there to be a handful of new toys (that I don't really need!)

I suppose I also need to have survived coronavirus with both my life and with some disposable income. :lol:

guitfnky

10 Apr 2020

Loque wrote:
10 Apr 2020
Just take alook at all those polls here about that. For me, clearly sequencer improvements. Just finished a track and stumbled over
* God damn fcking VST always pops out if i double click the sequencer track. Stop it!
* Still no grouping of, lets say the drum stuff or 5 hi hat tracks or put the vox samples into a group and stuff like that
* Same grouping for mixer tracks (well, as soon as i have my bus chanels, i can mostly focus on them tho)
* Stop going into the piano roll for specific samples when i just want to edit the slices (in my head i have "adjust rythm" and not "adjust pitch" - brings me out of my workflow!)

I will not upgrad for another synth or more samples. I mainly upgraded to 10 for the curved automation lol
+1 on almost all of this. 👍🏼

but why do you double click the track in the sequencer? I didn’t even know double clicking was a thing. now that you mention it opens the VST on the track, that’s one thing I’d say is a feature, not a bug. definitely will be trying that out. it would be pretty useful for my workflow.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Loque

10 Apr 2020

guitfnky wrote:
10 Apr 2020
Loque wrote:
10 Apr 2020

but why do you double click the track in the sequencer? I didn’t even know double clicking was a thing. now that you mention it opens the VST on the track, that’s one thing I’d say is a feature, not a bug. definitely will be trying that out. it would be pretty useful for my workflow.
They introduced this feature in 9 i think. It will "open" (show) the rack device of this track which was a very nice addition. But since they added VST it opens the VST too, and if i have the rack full of stuff and i want to find the "rack" device, it opens the VST and i cannot see the rack flashing. So, i have no idea where my "rack" device is in this case. And i was never a fan of automatic opening a VST or closing it when i click somewhere else. It is the same, that my "browsing for patches" loses focus, when i click somewhere else. Please, let ME decide how i have to work! Auto-features are crap 80% of the time.
Reason12, Win10

Jackjackdaw

10 Apr 2020

I haven't upgrade from 10 yet! Even though I would get a lot of value out of the rack VST and midi out. But I find I can make do with Rewire and exporting stems etc. I have been putting my money into Cubase instead.

My two main bug bears are the lack of midi and the lo res graphics. I could probably hold my breath for the graphics but if they haven't done midi by now then I don't think they will.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

10 Apr 2020

I’d upgrade to 12 if they had a buy Reason 12 and get another DAW of your choice for free. Otherwise I’m 10.4 all the way to infinity and beyond.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

guitfnky

10 Apr 2020

Loque wrote:
10 Apr 2020
guitfnky wrote:
10 Apr 2020

They introduced this feature in 9 i think. It will "open" (show) the rack device of this track which was a very nice addition. But since they added VST it opens the VST too, and if i have the rack full of stuff and i want to find the "rack" device, it opens the VST and i cannot see the rack flashing. So, i have no idea where my "rack" device is in this case. And i was never a fan of automatic opening a VST or closing it when i click somewhere else. It is the same, that my "browsing for patches" loses focus, when i click somewhere else. Please, let ME decide how i have to work! Auto-features are crap 80% of the time.
ah, I see. I always have the rack and sequencer open simultaneously, so a single click on the track in the sequencer takes me to the right device in the rack. I can see how that would be annoying if you don’t have the rack visible already, and want to double click to see where you are in the rack. they should add an option you can tick to choose which way you want it to work, or add a hot key or something, to cover all scenarios.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

sdst
Competition Winner

10 Apr 2020

Reason 11 is the best Reason since Reason 5

I'm going to upgrade to R12, the only thing i want is efficiency with the cpu

Loque

10 Apr 2020

sdst wrote:
10 Apr 2020
Reason 11 is the best Reason since Reason 5

I'm going to upgrade to R12, the only thing i want is efficiency with the cpu
I think, they already made a lot. I can have so many devices now in my songs, which is amazing. But yea, there is still some room for optimization CPU wise. Maybe i can have even 50% more devices in Reason or finish completely my mastering without trouble in the same song.
Reason12, Win10

sdst
Competition Winner

10 Apr 2020

Loque wrote:
10 Apr 2020
I think, they already made a lot. I can have so many devices now in my songs, which is amazing. But yea, there is still some room for optimization CPU wise. Maybe i can have even 50% more devices in Reason or finish completely my mastering without trouble in the same song.
yes, there is a big difference from 9 to 11, I was scared with the cpu use

but they did a good job with R11, I hope keep it

EdGrip

11 Apr 2020

I went from 9 to 11, which was well worth it. I'm content to skip 12 unless they really blow our socks off.

JdA57

11 Apr 2020

I haven't upgrade from 10 yet and will not upgrade in the future. Version 10 is working perfect / fine for me and I'm using and prefering mostly RE's.
a) Version 11 using as to much CPU,
b) they don't let me activate Reason via 'Balance' (thats a very important reason why I'll not Upgrade to next versions) and
c) because I'll actually not upgrade my OSX, using ReWire, Version 10 is perfect too. Nothing interesting new in Version 11.

For to use my RE's as VST or AU I bought 2 Licences "Reason Lite 11" (39,- EUR each) . So I can use all my RE's in other DAW's, if needed.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

11 Apr 2020

Most likely yes. As long as there's something in the upgrade that I'll use or find interesting.

dioxide

11 Apr 2020

I'm still on 10. R11 just didn't offer anything worth jumping over for.

• A way for the main sequencer to change patterns and to latch sequences on and off. It's 2020 and I'm still having to build workarounds for this using CV and things like Volt SL-1.
• A way to save out a single Rack column into a file format of some sort.
• Stop appending 'copy' to devices if I paste them from another document. If I name my device 'Drums' there is no way I want to be renamed 'Drums copy' if I paste it in a new document.

ClassickHitz

11 Apr 2020

*Recycle integration and an updated sampling device.
*Export to Mp3
*More up-to-date modern sounding sample library
*Project Preview: a way to preview listen to your project before actually opening it
*An option to trade-in older REs in the Reason Shop. Possibly a face value credit or something similar.
*A loyalty discount program for long-time users.

plaamook

11 Apr 2020

ClassickHitz wrote:
11 Apr 2020

*Export to Mp3
They added that in 11.2
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

Loque

11 Apr 2020

plaamook wrote:
11 Apr 2020
ClassickHitz wrote:
11 Apr 2020

*Export to Mp3
They added that in 11.2
Lol
Reason12, Win10

BradfordMoeller

11 Apr 2020

I'm sure I'll upgrade, but I'm hoping for video file support, more themes, maybe small quality of life things, simple stuff!
:reason:)))

QVprod

11 Apr 2020

Hard to say. Reason being a plugin made it the best of both worlds for me. That aside, I don’t believe upgrades from here on out will be business as usual. Daw improvements are the main thing left, but I’m sure they’ll be doing something to satisfy both Daw and plugin users going forward. Excited to see what that next move is.

Ulpu

12 Apr 2020

Why do you think the VST support in Reason is so...hmm... boxy?
If compared to FL Studio where the VST opens as the FL's own synths.
I would like to see this improved in Reason12.
ClassickHitz wrote:
11 Apr 2020
*A loyalty discount program for long-time users.
This would be very nice! :thumbs_up:

plaamook

12 Apr 2020

I'll prob upgrade regardless cause that's what I tend to do and I've never regretted it.
But since I can't resist a feature suggestion thread, I'd really like to see zoom function sorted out in the sequencer and I'd like to see enough people get behind it to make a differnce.
Zoom in was poorly implemented in 11 and zoom out...we still can't zoom out.
Hey props! There are people that don't use reason to make 3 min pop songs that might like to see their whole song all at once!
Or that mightlike to be able to actually zoom in to what they want to see in some smooth fashion.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

Loque

12 Apr 2020

plaamook wrote:
12 Apr 2020
I'll prob upgrade regardless cause that's what I tend to do and I've never regretted it.
But since I can't resist a feature suggestion thread, I'd really like to see zoom function sorted out in the sequencer and I'd like to see enough people get behind it to make a differnce.
Zoom in was poorly implemented in 11 and zoom out...we still can't zoom out.
Hey props! There are people that don't use reason to make 3 min pop songs that might like to see their whole song all at once!
Or that mightlike to be able to actually zoom in to what they want to see in some smooth fashion.
I am quite happy with ctrl+[shift]+Scrollwheel. But i agree, that the sequencer handling canbe much better.
Reason12, Win10

Oquasec

12 Apr 2020

Yeah my fam wouldn't have to worry bout those upgrades anymore.
If I wanted to get those then I should just gettem myself.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

• Information