USB Mic support.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
stfual

07 Apr 2020

Genuine question. Is there any other DAW, audio recording application software apart from Reason that does not support USB mics?

Aquila

09 Apr 2020

Almost every DAW, including Reason, will support USB mics.

BUT...

Very few DAWs (if any) will support more than one simultaneous audio device.

visheshl

09 Apr 2020

Very easy on a mac, create a new device and select audio ins and outs that this new composite device will use. Then select that device as the audio device inside whatever DAW.
Steps
Open audio midi setup.
In the audio devices window, bottom left corner, click the plus sign, select create aggregate device.
Now select the aggregate device, in the right side window select the ins and outs. Rename device to whatever.
Open reason, open preferences audio tab, select the device you just created, now if you selected the usb microphone in the audio midi setp steps, you will be able to use the usb mic in reason
Last edited by visheshl on 09 Apr 2020, edited 1 time in total.

xboix

09 Apr 2020

I think the main problem on Windows is that with ASIO driver not being able to share with each other. I seem to recall recently seeing an ASIO device that promised to "join together" other ASIO devices to present a composite device, a bit like the Mac but quite where I saw it eludes me.

visheshl

09 Apr 2020

This is the primary reason i bought a mac, i can easily configure various devices and use them without vany hassle im not sure if theres a similar solution on windows, maybe with windows 10 there could be, earlier there was none as far as i remember

chimp_spanner

09 Apr 2020

Yeah unfortunately this is more of a Windows issue than anything as far as I can tell. Since I switched to Mac I haven't had any problems using multiple devices, or the same device with multiple apps. The audio drivers are just all-round better, much as it pains me to say as a former Windows user of some 20-odd years!

adfielding

09 Apr 2020

There's nothing as solid as macOS's aggregate devices in Windows (I miss CoreAudio!), but you can use ASIO4All to use separate devices for input/output in Reason.

edit: for what it's worth, I used to use a USB mic for streaming and found the whole exercise of using different audio devices in Windows to just not be worth the hassle.

chimp_spanner

09 Apr 2020

adfielding wrote:
09 Apr 2020
There's nothing as solid as macOS's aggregate devices in Windows (I miss CoreAudio!), but you can use ASIO4All to use separate devices for input/output in Reason.

edit: for what it's worth, I used to use a USB mic for streaming and found the whole exercise of using different audio devices in Windows to just not be worth the hassle.
Yeah ASIO4ALL does allow you to do this - the only thing I found with it is that I couldn't get it to address anything past the first stereo pair of any device. So I could use multiple audio interfaces but I'd lose access to all my extra inputs. Sucky!

adfielding

09 Apr 2020

chimp_spanner wrote:
09 Apr 2020
Yeah ASIO4ALL does allow you to do this - the only thing I found with it is that I couldn't get it to address anything past the first stereo pair of any device. So I could use multiple audio interfaces but I'd lose access to all my extra inputs. Sucky!
It's not ideal, for sure - CoreAudio is the #1 thing I miss from macOS, Time Machine & DrumSpillage are joint #2 :)

• Information