Reason 7 - Rewire multiple instruments?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Gurra

06 Apr 2020

I'm working on a video project and had planned (for now) to rewire two synthesizers from Reason (v7.1) into Reaper. The midi tracks for each rewired synth is in Reaper, but no matter what try I can only get either one of them to play at a time. It appears the track with the synth in Reason needs to be armed before it will send audio back to Reaper but for some peculiar reason I don't seem to be able to arm multiple tracks in Reason even though this is perfectly possible in Reaper.
I'm sure I'm just missing something very simple here. Would anyone know how to get this going without having to move the midi tracks into Reason because that would seriously make my workflow very difficult, or having to upgrade to v11 for VST support?

Gurra
:PUF_balance: :essentials: :reason:

orthodox
RE Developer

06 Apr 2020

There must be something wrong with how you route your midi to Rewire from Reaper. Whether Reason tracks are armed or not, the instruments should receive midi from Rewire if done correctly, Rewire source should totally bypass the sequencer. You might be selecting some wrong midi out channels in Reaper, the right ones should be listed there exactly as the names of Reason instruments.

Gurra

06 Apr 2020

Thanks for your quick reply Orthodox.
Midi is being received in Reason on both tracks. I get green indications in the Reason sequencer view on the little virtual keyboard underneath each synth icon at the very left of each track. I just don't get anything back into Reaper from Reason unless the Reason track is armed for recording.

Gurra

08 Apr 2020

Got it working. The trick was to configure separate sends and receives in the routing for the Reason Rewire master track. Orthodox was correct, midi was not being sent correctly from Reaper. What threw me was that midi did work when the corresponding reason track was armed.

Finally, I had to enable "Allow Feedback in Routing" in the project properties

The other configurations were already done correctly.

Reason:
Audio out routing
No separate configuration appears to be necessary for midi in Reason when in rewire mode.

Reaper:
One master track, and one instrument track for each midi instrument

Rewire FX configuration, midi out
Audio in

orthodox
RE Developer

09 Apr 2020

Great. Didn't think Reaper had such complicated settings for channel routing.

• Information