Recording Automation on Audio Track

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
rgdaniel

05 Apr 2020

Usually if I want to automate the panning of an audio clip / track I would right click the pan button, choose Edit Automation, draw in an automation clip, and just draw in the slope or curve inside that clip.

Today I thought I would try to record it live instead. I created the automation lane as usual, hit record, and adjusted the panning as it progressed, but I found I was recording over my existing audio clip, which of course is not what I wanted. Although I guess I shouldn't be surprised that hitting record on an audio track will record audio on that track. Duh.

But how do I record just the automation lane? I feel I should know this by now...

orthodox
RE Developer

05 Apr 2020

There are two red round buttons on the track: "Record Enable Parameter Automation" and just "Record Enable". Turn off the latter.

rgdaniel

05 Apr 2020

orthodox wrote:
05 Apr 2020
There are two red round buttons on the track: "Record Enable Parameter Automation" and just "Record Enable". Turn off the latter.
Dammit, YES!! The moment you said that, I remembered that I forgot to remember that from when I used to remember it but then forgot.

Thanks so much!

MrFigg
Competition Winner

05 Apr 2020

rgdaniel wrote:
05 Apr 2020
orthodox wrote:
05 Apr 2020
Dammit, YES!! The moment you said that, I remembered that I forgot to remember that from when I used to remember it but then forgot.

Thanks so much!
That happens to me a lot. I’ve actually started writing stuff down haphazardly in a notebook so I can look back. Record Source button is a classic for me.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

plaamook

06 Apr 2020

Yeah but then I forget to look at my lists...
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

Biolumin3sc3nt

06 Apr 2020

plaamook wrote:
06 Apr 2020
Yeah but then I forget to look at my lists...
LoL

demt

06 Apr 2020

who?
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

orthodox
RE Developer

06 Apr 2020

demt wrote:
06 Apr 2020
who?
Whoever. Anyone could.

selig
RE Developer

06 Apr 2020

You can prevent this accidental recording/erasing by selecting "Separate" under "Master Keyboard Input" in the "Control Surfaces" tab in Preferences. This will prevent tracks from "auto-arming" themselves when you select them.
This will also require you to specifically select MIDI control and recording when selecting a track, as it will no longer happen automatically.
It's a shame you can't independently select "record arm" and "MIDI input" for a selected track. So the upside is that you won't accidentally record over any selected track unless you specifically arm that track, and the downside is you won't be able to play an instrument unless you select it for MIDI input (from the sequencer or from the rack). This is not necessarily a bad thing IMO, it depends on your workflow and expectations. Could be it's an improvement for some, and a PITA for others!
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information