"Self Contain Settings"

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
ColdSkoolBeatz

05 Apr 2020

I'm a little frustrated that you still cannot save User Patches without changing the "Self Contain Settings" every time. :( :( :(

I use Reason on multiple platforms. My job dictates that I have to travel where I am away from home weeks at a time. During this time I bring my MacBook Pro to create in Reason when I am in my hotel room. The sessions I create in Reason on my MBP get saved to iCloud Drive so when I get home, I can finish them off on my significantly faster and powerful Windows desktop PC.

I am sure everyone knows if you do not self contain your Song in Reason, and you need to move the Song file, or open it on a different computer you'll get a prompt when opening the session that song files are missing. :question: :question: :question: Ok cool. I'll just make sure all of my Songs are Self Contained.

Except this setting does not allow you to Save User Patches when you want to bounce a midi performance to audio to minimize DSP usage. If I bounce in place but want to retain the settings of all my instruments and midi notes (performances/settings) I have to "Save As" an entirely new session. (Example Reason Song - original + Reason Song - stems)

If I decide I need to make changes to the patch or midi performance/settings. ...Open Reason Song - original, Copy and Paste the original Instrument track w/Midi performance/settings into the Reason Song - stem, etc, etc. It's just really a workflow and storage space killer.

My Windows PC can handle keeping both, in most cases, but then when you want to Mix you have a bunch of unused tracks that you cannot hide.

PreSonus Studio One has done a remarkable job in terms of a solution in relation to this type of workflow by being able to COMBINE THE ORIGINAL INSTRUMENT TRACK + BOUNCED AUDIO TRACK into 1. If you need/want to make changes to ANYTHING, right-click and select the option to revert the bounced audio track to it's original state, which also deletes the bounced audio.

If you want to keep the bounced audio, just move it to a different track.

This feature alleviates having to

A. create multiple sessions
B. fiddling with any settings that may cause you to lose sounds if you need to move/open sessions on a different computer
C. hide unused Instrument tracks you've bounced to audio but want to preserve the patches and original performances/settings just in case

I really hope Reason Studios adopts this solution in a future update, preferably the next.

Irelle

05 Apr 2020

I hope the guys will take into account some things we wish for and release them soon...

moneykube

05 Apr 2020

yes.. but daily more and more unlikely
Screen Shot 2020-04-05 at 5.19.43 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-04-05 at 5.19.43 PM.jpg (258.75 KiB) Viewed 355 times
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

• Information