Reason 10lite + extra VST vs Reason11

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Ulpu

04 Apr 2020

I have Reason10 lite at the moment.
Pondering between updating to Reason11 (full version, not suite).
OR! Staying at Reason10 Lite and getting some extra VST (something like Dune3) since the price of upgrade to Reason11 would be pretty much same...

I know Reason 10lite doesn't offer Malstrom.
But how about vocal recording/editing - is there huge difference between 10lite vs 11full?
VST works in both of them - but is 11 somehow better for VST?

Jackjackdaw

04 Apr 2020

I can't remember if intro has a limit to number of tracks, that could be something to bear in mind.

Full Reason is a great package. It has everything you need to make great music. When you have a clearer idea of what devices you use to get your sound then you will know what sort of VSTs to get to enhance your setup. Imho obvs. :-)

robotgard

04 Apr 2020

Last edited by robotgard on 09 Dec 2020, edited 1 time in total.

enossified

04 Apr 2020

There's no difference in 11 relative to VST usage. The biggest reason to upgrade to 11 full is the track and device limitations. If you're doing fine with Lite and can't afford to buy Dune and upgrade, then just buy Dune if you think you need it.

Saving your money and digging deeper into programming Europa and Thor might be a better choice, though. I admit to being lazy and sometimes buying new instruments just for the presets rather than working on making new sounds myself.

BTW you can buy an issue of Computer Music and get a free "light" version of Dune (based on Dune, not Dune 2) along with a bunch of other free plugins like Bazille, Aaalto, XILS 3, etc. If money is really tight, you should consider it. In the US, an issue of CM is about $20. You can also buy a digital copy online and get download links for the plugins.

Ulpu

05 Apr 2020

enossified wrote:
04 Apr 2020

BTW you can buy an issue of Computer Music and get a free "light" version of Dune (based on Dune, not Dune 2) along with a bunch of other free plugins like Bazille, Aaalto, XILS 3, etc. If money is really tight, you should consider it. In the US, an issue of CM is about $20. You can also buy a digital copy online and get download links for the plugins.

But it seems to be only in 32bit format - if I get it correct you now need 64bit to work with Reason ?

robotgard

05 Apr 2020

Last edited by robotgard on 09 Dec 2020, edited 2 times in total.

Ulpu

05 Apr 2020

robotgard wrote:
05 Apr 2020
Ulpu wrote:
05 Apr 2020
But it seems to be only in 32bit format
32bit and 64bit
Are u sure? Since in the fact section only 32bit is listed (some other instruments are listed with 32&64).

robotgard

05 Apr 2020

Last edited by robotgard on 09 Dec 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Ulpu

05 Apr 2020

enossified wrote:
04 Apr 2020
There's no difference in 11 relative to VST usage. The biggest reason to upgrade to 11 full is the track and device limitations. If you're doing fine with Lite and can't afford to buy Dune and upgrade, then just buy Dune if you think you need it.

Saving your money and digging deeper into programming Europa and Thor might be a better choice, though. I admit to being lazy and sometimes buying new instruments just for the presets rather than working on making new sounds myself.

This Computer Music was very good tip!
I remember buying the CM magazines years and years ago and they used to have cds filled with some stuff - can't remember what anymore :lol: But didn't remember CM offered also VST synths - very cool :thumbs_up:

enossified

05 Apr 2020

Yeah, definitely Dune CM is 64 bit because I was running it in Logic 10.4.3 which is 64 bit only. Is Dune up to 3 now? This based on Dune 1 but hey, it still sounds good.

All the CM Studio synths are "light" versions. The Dune CM mod matrix is only half the size (8 instead of 16 slots?), Bazille CM has fewer modules and lower max voice count, Aalto CM can only do 2 voices instead of 4, etc. There's lots of FX plugins, too. Anyone looking for great plugins on the cheap should check it out. I just checked again, in USA it's $15.99 an issue. End of commercial ;) and back to the OT.

joeyluck

05 Apr 2020

Yeah a lot of people don't realize that when you buy the latest version of CM, you get access to most of the previously offered plugins (only excluding the few that were limited time offers).

My subscription through Google Play stopped, since it's no longer offered through Google Play.
I went to Zinio and got a 3 issue subscription for free ;) (they might still be offering this)

Beyond that, a single issue through Zinio is $4.99 and there's also coupon deals.

Plugins are available through FileSilo for those who buy digital versions of the magazine.

EnochLight

05 Apr 2020

Ulpu wrote:
04 Apr 2020
I have Reason10 lite at the moment.
Pondering between updating to Reason11 (full version, not suite).
OR! Staying at Reason10 Lite and getting some extra VST (something like Dune3) since the price of upgrade to Reason11 would be pretty much same...

I know Reason 10lite doesn't offer Malstrom.
But how about vocal recording/editing - is there huge difference between 10lite vs 11full?
VST works in both of them - but is 11 somehow better for VST?
If your primary working environment is Reason, then by all means: UPDATE TO FULL REASON 11! The value/worth of full Reason is far more than Dune 3, IMHO; you're getting a metric shit ton of content and other devices. Pro tip: Grain and Syncronous is worth the cost of upgrading to full Reason alone, IMHO.

That's not to underplay how great of a VST synth Dune 3 is - trust me - I own it and it's a fantastic plugin. But the fact that you get such a ton of more content and instruments/effects with a full Reason upgrade just makes me lean towards upgrading instead.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Loque

05 Apr 2020

You can also buy Reason and get Thorn quite cheap:
viewtopic.php?p=493304#p493304

Its a different beast, but much cheaper atm.
Reason12, Win10

• Information