Need a dry / wet knob for scream 4?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
exxx

02 Apr 2020

I sometimes wish scream 4 had a dry / wet knob, but who thinks like this?

Electric-Metal

02 Apr 2020

exxx wrote:
02 Apr 2020
+1 A Dry Wet would be insanly welcome. :thumbs_up:
:?: The question is - Who cares :?:

ForgottenClank
RE Developer

02 Apr 2020

I've done some testing a while back and the issue is that Scream not only does distortion in terms of waveshaping but also some non-linear-phase filtering. A dry/wet knob would result in a bunch of notches in the frequency spectrum which changes the end result a lot and not in a natural/pleasant way.

Loque

02 Apr 2020

Not only sometimes. Most of the time i use it, i wish it would have a dry and a wet control.
Reason12, Win10

BradfordMoeller

02 Apr 2020

Ooh good idea!
:reason:)))

pushedbutton

02 Apr 2020

Skweem.zip
It's a screambinator
(1.71 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
Do something like this.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

02 Apr 2020

Obviously!
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

motuscott

02 Apr 2020

Look I got nothing to add
but I was whizzing through the interwebs and thought I'd lay down a footprint.
Carry on
Nothing to see here
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

pushedbutton

02 Apr 2020

motuscott wrote:
02 Apr 2020
Look I got nothing to add
but I was whizzing through the interwebs and thought I'd lay down a footprint.
Carry on
Nothing to see here
Your input is appreciated.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

motuscott

02 Apr 2020

You know, like in case I need to find my way back.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Spaceship

02 Apr 2020

Yes

Ahornberg

03 Apr 2020

Doesn't a parallel channel provide the dry/wet functionality?

Loque

03 Apr 2020

Ahornberg wrote:
03 Apr 2020
Doesn't a parallel channel provide the dry/wet functionality?

...And now think you have in the middle of a chain 2 or 3 Scream4...and you need to build this with parallel channels. Have fun!
Reason12, Win10

antic604

03 Apr 2020

Good idea. Until it happens (lol :D ) you can use parallel tracks, audio splitter/mergers, or even dedicated REs like SPEM:

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... cts-mixer/
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

plaamook

03 Apr 2020

Oh yeah. Would be such a welcome little tweak. Woulbnt even break back compatability.

As it is, I split it and run it through a Mofin cross fader.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

challism

03 Apr 2020

I think every effect device should have a wet/dry knob. It makes complete sense to me to put one on an effects device. I remember beta testing for a developer one time, and asking for a wet/dry knob to be added, other beta testers agreed, but the idea ultimately rejected by the dev. I couldn't understand why. Of course, you can always build your own wet/dry knob with the use of GroovyMelon's Crossfader, but that's kind of a hassle, when it would have been so much more simple (and logical) for the dev to build one in their device.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (131.23 KiB) Viewed 3325 times
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Karim
Competition Winner

03 Apr 2020

+1 and I add more algorhythms and more tape options... :puf_bigsmile:
exxx wrote:
02 Apr 2020
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3 + R12.x + IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

selig
RE Developer

03 Apr 2020

ForgottenClank wrote:
02 Apr 2020
I've done some testing a while back and the issue is that Scream not only does distortion in terms of waveshaping but also some non-linear-phase filtering. A dry/wet knob would result in a bunch of notches in the frequency spectrum which changes the end result a lot and not in a natural/pleasant way.
I totally agree - I've tried this with Scream and a few other devices and the results were not useful. Everyone already knows of the problems with the Tape setting, and even with a full polarity flip the phase is still not restored to 0° shift. Even some devices that DO have a dry/wet control exhibit this on some settings, such as ART.

So no, not EVERY device needs a dry/wet control. EQs are another example where a dry/wet knob makes no sense, especially as there are other ways to achieve exactly the same thing with an EQ with absolutely no phase issues (ColoringEQ is a perfect example of of how to achieve this exact functionality WITHOUT the use of a traditional dry/wet control, thus avoiding any phase interaction/comb filtering artifacts). :)
Selig Audio, LLC

Loque

03 Apr 2020

ForgottenClank wrote:
02 Apr 2020
Hum...that would mean, i cannot even use it in parallel channel without having the phase issues... :?
Reason12, Win10

exxx

03 Apr 2020

The izotope trash 2 has a dry wet knob. Can Scream 4 be added?

Sterioevo

03 Apr 2020

selig wrote:
03 Apr 2020
ForgottenClank wrote:
02 Apr 2020
I totally agree - I've tried this with Scream and a few other devices and the results were not useful. Everyone already knows of the problems with the Tape setting, and even with a full polarity flip the phase is still not restored to 0° shift. Even some devices that DO have a dry/wet control exhibit this on some settings, such as ART.

So no, not EVERY device needs a dry/wet control. EQs are another example where a dry/wet knob makes no sense, especially as there are other ways to achieve exactly the same thing with an EQ with absolutely no phase issues (ColoringEQ is a perfect example of of how to achieve this exact functionality WITHOUT the use of a traditional dry/wet control, thus avoiding any phase interaction/comb filtering artifacts). :)

Well this got me thinking...

What if you phase inverted 1 of 2 identical instances of Scream, and mixed with a dry version? And then made changes to 1 or the other Screams?

So I made a combinator and the results are a bit interesting :) IMO there are some potentially unexplored timbres/ to be discovered.

The basic premise is that the 2 Screams cancel each other out, and changing parameters so they are not identical allows for some signal to go through, almost like a phase cancellation isolator or something. Importantly though (YMMV depending on the patch - some Scream patches do not phase cancel) the resultant phase of the effect is different and sounds different (to my ears) when mixed with the Dry channel.

Just make sure you load the same Scream patch into the 2 x Screams and any changes you make to the dials on the front are exactly the same.

I have attached a combinator. It uses stock devices as well as the free Omega Trimmer (for phase inversion on Scream 2) and the free Mod Panel 8 (purple flavour: for the bi-polar knobs to change parameters on the Screams via CV).

As mentioned all parameters for the 2 x Screams need to be the same to phase cancel, hence corresponding parameters in default positions and using rear CV inputs via the Mod Panel 8 as they are bi-polar and non destructive/can be reset by returning to the default positions. The combinator controls are crude Master controls (similar to trying to Wet/Dry the Scream, phase issues) and the faders on the Mod Panel 8 are where the action is.

Controls:
Rotary 3 Dry Level
Rotary 4 - Splits pan for the 2 screams and phase cancellation
Button 1 Scream 1 Mute (reference non phased effect)
Button 2 Scream 1 Mute (reference non phased effect)
Button 3 Dry Mute

The Mod Panel 8 device has corresponding parameters on the faders as labelled for the 2 instances of Scream.

Hope this makes sense.
Attachments
phase cancelled wet dry scream.cmb.zip
(5.13 KiB) Downloaded 60 times

selig
RE Developer

03 Apr 2020

Sterioevo wrote:
03 Apr 2020
Well this got me thinking...

What if you phase inverted 1 of 2 identical instances of Scream, and mixed with a dry version? And then made changes to 1 or the other Screams?
Sorry for the thread "detour", I did a similar thing with compressors a while back to create a transient shaper effect. There's a whole world of effects out there using similar techniques IMO.
Selig Audio, LLC

Sterioevo

03 Apr 2020

I just stuck a Selig gain on it to check the mono and the panned screams also sound interesting, the more the pan the more the phase un-cancels. A whole universe.

exxx

03 Apr 2020

The important thing is that it should be easy to use.

Biolumin3sc3nt

03 Apr 2020

Well, it's pretty easy to do My Freaky Reason Friends. Morphin Crossfader ( I think that's right ) comes to mind and it's free. Old school

--- Ok I was gonna provide a link, but what the hell is up with RS new website? There's no option for "Utilities" in the shop on the front page?

Do I not know how to internet anymore? Is it just Me?

• Information