Best Screenshare Recording Software

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
BradfordMoeller

01 Apr 2020

I'm planning on starting a Youtube channel focused around recording/ producing guitar within Reason.

Most videos will just be my screen being shared while I talk through what I'm doing. Ideally, I'd like to be able to record my voice while doing so (instead of narrating in post).

Do you have recommendations for a favored screen recording software?
:reason:)))

ForgottenClank
RE Developer

01 Apr 2020

I use OBS to record my RE showcases. You have many options for output formats, filters and (my favourite) separate audio lanes. That means you can record your voice and edit it afterwards (e.g. denoising, eq, compression, etc.).

BradfordMoeller

01 Apr 2020

ForgottenClank wrote:
01 Apr 2020
I use OBS to record my RE showcases. You have many options for output formats, filters and (my favourite) separate audio lanes. That means you can record your voice and edit it afterwards (e.g. denoising, eq, compression, etc.).
Thanks for the response, looking into OBS now! I love the design of your RE's by the way; I'm planning on picking up the Forgotten Compressor before the pandemic is over.

ForgottenClank
RE Developer

01 Apr 2020

BradfordMoeller wrote:
01 Apr 2020
I love the design of your RE's by the way; I'm planning on picking up the Forgotten Compressor before the pandemic is over.
Thanks, I appreciate it!

BradfordMoeller

01 Apr 2020

joeyluck wrote:
01 Apr 2020
QuickTime is free on macOS. Great to get started with.
Just regular QuickTime can do that? Interesting!

Jackjackdaw

01 Apr 2020

I think OBS is probably the best option but it confused me, i dont know much about video. I use Filmora Wondershare because it has a built in editor and is super easy to set up and use.

joeyluck

01 Apr 2020

BradfordMoeller wrote:
01 Apr 2020
joeyluck wrote:
01 Apr 2020
QuickTime is free on macOS. Great to get started with.
Just regular QuickTime can do that? Interesting!
Yep! I think it's the simplest solution for simple videos where you just want to capture your screen and audio. You can trim it, but if you want to edit beyond that, you would need to import it into something else, like iMovie.
  • Open QuickTime
  • Go to 'File'
  • Choose 'New Screen Recording'
  • Choose the audio source (next to the record button)
  • Click the Record button
  • Then click anywhere on the screen to start recording, or click and drag to select a portion of the screen to record
You may need something like Soundflower or Blackhole installed to route the audio, unless you have an interface you can hard patch or has its own inner audio routing.

BradfordMoeller

01 Apr 2020

ForgottenClank wrote:
01 Apr 2020
BradfordMoeller wrote:
01 Apr 2020
I love the design of your RE's by the way; I'm planning on picking up the Forgotten Compressor before the pandemic is over.
Thanks, I appreciate it!
Just upgraded to R11 and grabbed the Forgotten Compressor along with it. Time to have some fun!
Jackjackdaw wrote:
01 Apr 2020
I think OBS is probably the best option but it confused me, i dont know much about video. I use Filmora Wondershare because it has a built in editor and is super easy to set up and use.
Cool I will look into this thanks!

[/quote]

Yep! I think it's the simplest solution for simple videos where you just want to capture your screen and audio. You can trim it, but if you want to edit beyond that, you would need to import it into something else, like iMovie.
  • Open QuickTime
  • Go to 'File'
  • Choose 'New Screen Recording'
  • Choose the audio source (next to the record button)
  • Click the Record button
  • Then click anywhere on the screen to start recording, or click and drag to select a portion of the screen to record
You may need something like Soundflower or Blackhole installed to route the audio, unless you have an interface you can hard patch or has its own inner audio routing.
[/quote]

Thank you for the clarification, I'll try this out too.

Jackjackdaw

01 Apr 2020

Yeah the audio is very limited and the editor is very basic too. I think asio is a problem with most screen grabbing apps. I was recording the audio to my tascam and syncing it up after.

• Information