Synth sound: dirty, flabby, horn-like tone?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
invadergir

31 Mar 2020

Hi all,

So, I have this idea for a sound in my head, and since I'm still pretty new to synth programming, I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction for this. What I'd like to build is a heavy-ish lead tone (dirty / distorted sounding), with a horn-like attack and lots of sustain. Horn-like to the point of almost being flabby or "farty", if you know what I mean (like if you were playing a trombone without the trombone).

Would something like that just be a matter of tweaking the ADSR envelope until it sounds like a horn? I found a Maelstrom patch that gets me close, but I can't quite get all the way there with it. (My ADSR tweaks didn't quite do what I needed.) I also got sorta close by taking a patch and playing it extra low, which caused some low frequency flapping, but of course that is too unstable depending on the notes you play; plus it sounded pretty thin and "fake".

Any ideas? Maybe which synth to use and what to tweak maybe? I'm on the R11 Suite.

Thanks in advance for any help...

Bjørn Felle

31 Mar 2020

i would try with Europa. the unison will help to give a sawtooth oscillator a chorusy brass sound, and putting some attack on the filter envelope will help. you could even modulate an envelope to the oscillator pitch so that each note starts slightly sharp and quickly glides on pitch which would make it sound like a more natural horn if that makes sense

Jackjackdaw

31 Mar 2020

Try Monotone, Here's a patch a knocked up for you, not far from the init sound.
Attachments
Flabby Mono.zip
(781 Bytes) Downloaded 37 times

invadergir

04 Apr 2020

Awesome, thanks guys, I'll give it a try!

Actually, a minute after I posted this I was messing around with Europa too, and I did almost something similar to Bjorn's suggestion. That envelope idea is great, I'll give that a try. And thanks Jackjackdaw, will check that patch out soon!

Bjørn Felle

05 Apr 2020

if you can't quite get the sound you are looking for, you could also have a look at the Mega Brass refill. It is excellent, and has some lovely combis to do things like the "Inception BWAAAAA". You can also browse the individual synth patches and samples which make up those layered combis, and one of those might serve as a good basis to tweak into what you need.

splitpen

06 Apr 2020

Made a brassy sound in Europa, the video below is a good watch for the sound design of it.

Attachments
Brass.zip
(2.2 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjzYHe3D8f8
Reasonstudios 11 Roland Quadcapture | AMD Ryzen 5900x|Elektron Analog Heat Mk2|Diy 3 way SB Acoustics/Scanspeak studiomonitors | AKG K702 | Key­sta­tion 61 MK3 |BCR2000 |X-Touch Ext | MP Midi

sublunar

06 Apr 2020

Fart into Grain. Done.

• Information