Anyone Here Authorized For Offline Use?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
OverneathTheSkyBridg

29 Mar 2020

I've noticed that Reason Studios seems to be down more frequently, and I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this? Probably just gonna authorize my computer so I don't have to rely on them.

chuck.dallas

29 Mar 2020

I haven't had much trouble getting online authorization, but having problems today for whatever reason. I have an old USB Authorization Stick that I haven't used for a long time, but when I tried it says I have to download the latest Rack Extensions -- tried, but nothing happens. Just spins. Something wrong with the Reason Studios website, it appears. Not sure what to do to get up and going....

SynthGang

29 Mar 2020

Didn't see your post - am having the same issue here!

OverneathTheSkyBridg

29 Mar 2020

SynthGang wrote:
29 Mar 2020
Ah, a fellow Canadian. Maybe it's just a geographical thing for us Canucks.

I've had this in the back of my mind ever since this COVID epidemic started that it may be a good idea to authorize offline if things start going sideways. As soon as the server pops back up I'm going to get on that.

SynthGang

29 Mar 2020

OverneathTheSkyBridg wrote:
29 Mar 2020
SynthGang wrote:
29 Mar 2020
Ah, a fellow Canadian. Maybe it's just a geographical thing for us Canucks.

I've had this in the back of my mind ever since this COVID epidemic started that it may be a good idea to authorize offline if things start going sideways. As soon as the server pops back up I'm going to get on that.
:lol: it very well could be - I never realized offline authorization was even a thing to be honest :shock: :? loool.. not until I went prodding around on Reason Studios' website. I had long thought "what a stupid thing to have to authorize after spending how much money in their store" :lol:

Hope you're staying safe out there! What province are you in? I'm in Ontario

OverneathTheSkyBridg

29 Mar 2020

My reasoning was along the lines that if my computer died beyond repair and I couldn't access my license then I'd be screwed. I know RS has a couple "get out of jail free cards" but I wanted to avoid that potential hassle.

joeyluck

29 Mar 2020

29 Mar 2020
My reasoning was along the lines that if my computer died beyond repair and I couldn't access my license then I'd be screwed. I know RS has a couple "get out of jail free cards" but I wanted to avoid that potential hassle.
I don't imagine encountering a failed hard drive that many times. But yes, they are prepared for such cases.

But in any case, if you don't use it because you are afraid of losing that capability, you are already placing yourself in that scenario because, well...you aren't using it :puf_smile:

sublunar

30 Mar 2020

Absolutely. My main production machine never touches the internet, except to download new versions of Reason/RE's.

Reason support gives you one or two freebies on the offline authorized computer, if you lose your drive, they will de-auth it for you. At least once or twice. But you better have a good reason to do this more than once because they have a hard limit and if they think you're doing something suspicious on purpose then they'll cut you off.

I also have a USB dongle for my production laptop so I rarely use online authorization- usually only if I'm on the computers at work and I'm killing time by making music on the clock.

kitekrazy

30 Mar 2020

I still have the Ignition key on one system.

EnochLight

30 Mar 2020

I've been authorized for offline use since day 1. I see no reason not to these days, especially with all of the COVID-19 "stay at home" requirements that are taxing the Internet right now.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

OverneathTheSkyBridg

30 Mar 2020

Yeah it was a bit of a wakeup call for me to authorize for offline. Knowing that there's recourse with Reason Studios I can probably risk the rare chance of hard drive failures. If on the off chance it happens I'll probably purchase a USB dongle.

joeyluck

30 Mar 2020

30 Mar 2020
Yeah it was a bit of a wakeup call for me to authorize for offline. Knowing that there's recourse with Reason Studios I can probably risk the rare chance of hard drive failures. If on the off chance it happens I'll probably purchase a USB dongle.
:thumbs_up:

The point I was making is that it's not a risk—because if someone isn't using it out of fear of hard drive failure, they have technically placed themselves in that same situation as having lost it—because they aren't using it :)

If someone were to happen to be one of the rare cases of constant hard drive failures, that doesn't remove your ability to use online authorization.

Abstrax

30 Mar 2020

i haven't been able to authorize RE's for weeks and it's really annoying. I posted about it like a week ago

viewtopic.php?p=492432#p492432

plaamook

31 Mar 2020

Yep. I was doing star jumps when they introduced it.
Got an authorised key as a back up (leftover from the record days ) just in case because I work in remote places often enough.
I live in dreaded fear of getting black listed. I've had to ask them to reset after changing out HDD's. The idea that I'd not be ale to authorise my comp over mistake...
I just wish they'd move over to iLok and be done with it. Authoriser isn't super stable, probs in the past with it. Problems even De-authorising my comp. Madness.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

EdGrip

31 Mar 2020

I've never NOT been offline authorised!

Any time I trial a RE (rarely) I have to authorise online for the trial license, and it takes me by surprise every time. "My login details? What? Just start Reason!"

Electric-Metal

31 Mar 2020

EdGrip wrote:
31 Mar 2020
I've never NOT been offline authorised!

Any time I trial a RE (rarely) I have to authorise online for the trial license, and it takes me by surprise every time. "My login details? What? Just start Reason!"
Same here
:?: The question is - Who cares :?:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

31 Mar 2020

I had to contact them to get my PC marked as lost after a meltdown. I don’t have my computer authorized any more but I’ve got my license stored both on Balance and also on the ignition key I got with Record.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

mcatalao
Competition Winner

31 Mar 2020

I have the dongle. It's at the studio pc. Then i have a Surface with an older version, i think it's 9.5. But the studio pc authorization works ok.

When i have trials, if i don't have internet i can't load the trial, but the rest is usually loaded.
There was a bug that used to crap the access but it was solved in R11.1.

EnochLight

31 Mar 2020

Abstrax wrote:
30 Mar 2020
i haven't been able to authorize RE's for weeks and it's really annoying. I posted about it like a week ago

Windows or Mac?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Abstrax

31 Mar 2020

EnochLight wrote:
31 Mar 2020
Abstrax wrote:
30 Mar 2020

Windows or Mac?
Windows 10. I don't really know if it's on my end or their end. As far as I know, I haven't changed anything about my setup.

EnochLight

01 Apr 2020

Abstrax wrote:
31 Mar 2020
EnochLight wrote:
31 Mar 2020

Windows or Mac?
Windows 10. I don't really know if it's on my end or their end. As far as I know, I haven't changed anything about my setup.
Are you running the latest version of CodeMeter? Reason requires CodeMeter as a virtual dongle if you aren't using a USB Ignition Key. If you're using a Balance interface, it is no longer supported as an Ignition Key.

Be that as it may, try this:

Go to: C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Propellerhead Software\RackExtensions

Or, on Windows 10, hit your Windows key and type in %appdata% and go to the "Propellerhead Software\RackExtensions" folder.

In that folder, you'll find all of your Rack Extensions that are downloaded and licensed. Each one in is its own folder. Scroll down to the bottom of that list, and you'll find two *.cache files. Delete these.

Now go online and back into your Propellerhead account, My Products, Rack Extensions. Hit the "Sync All" button and see if that downloads your RE licenses.

• Information