Upgrading to Reason 11 Out of Fear

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
BradfordMoeller

29 Mar 2020

With all the free time that the pandemic has provided me, I'm back to my mental block over whether or not to upgrade from R10 to R11.

I own basically all of the Suite RE's, so I've ruled that out, and don't use any other DAW, so upgrading to standard Reason 11 doesn't really provide anything that useful to me, aside from cross-fading. It's the first upgrade I haven't purchased immediately upon release.

But I feel the desire to support the company- maybe R11 has been a big success for them, who knows, maybe it hasn't been!

I also worry that because of the Rack Plugin, the future of Reason may take unusual turns, like dropping the standalone DAW (unlikely but upsetting to think about), or selling the rack plugin separately next round (and then losing out on saving $ if I do decide to use Reason within another DAW in the future.)

Can anyone relate to this? Am I being crazy?
:reason:)))

pushedbutton

29 Mar 2020

You do you but personally I've got toilet rolls to stock pile.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

BradfordMoeller

29 Mar 2020

pushedbutton wrote:
29 Mar 2020
:lol:

Steedus
Competition Winner

29 Mar 2020

Yeah I was pretty much thinking this exact same thing last night. As much as I don't value the Rack plugin as a desired feature on it's own, I would be admittedly disappointed if the next version of Reason split into 2 camps, the Rack plugin, and the DAW - kind of the reverse thing they did with Record when they integrated it into Reason.

I have the same thoughts regarding the Suite thing. For all we know this could be a special R11 thing, and might go away (back to just selling the REs separately) after R12 hits.

Hmm some more chin rubbing is in order I think :think:

Faastwalker

29 Mar 2020

BradfordMoeller wrote:
29 Mar 2020
I can relate. Your not crazy. Actually what is crazy is I think I wrote your OP and you posted it! :shock: Feel just about exactly the same as you. And like you R11 is the first upgrade since R2 (when I bought Reason) that I have not jumped on immediately. It wasn’t an upgrade for Reason users.

motuscott

29 Mar 2020

They're offering me 10% off the suite upgrade as a thanks for taking the survey. Suite looks attractive, That's a bargain on several instruments that have interested me. Problem is, I've taken this 12 year old computer as far as she will travel, can't upgrade OS and Reason 11 demands the upgrade. So, new computer, new software, prolly a bunch of new connectors and cableage...
Should I be dropping this kind of cash or hoarding TP, which apparently is going to be the new gold standard. I live in NYC. But I am old and expendable, so I got that going for me...
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

BradfordMoeller

29 Mar 2020

Steedus wrote:
29 Mar 2020
Yeah I was pretty much thinking this exact same thing last night. As much as I don't value the Rack plugin as a desired feature on it's own, I would be admittedly disappointed if the next version of Reason split into 2 camps, the Rack plugin, and the DAW - kind of the reverse thing they did with Record when they integrated it into Reason.

I have the same thoughts regarding the Suite thing. For all we know this could be a special R11 thing, and might go away (back to just selling the REs separately) after R12 hits.

Hmm some more chin rubbing is in order I think :think:
Faastwalker wrote:
29 Mar 2020
BradfordMoeller wrote:
29 Mar 2020
I can relate. Your not crazy. Actually what is crazy is I think I wrote your OP and you posted it! :shock: Feel just about exactly the same as you. And like you R11 is the first upgrade since R2 (when I bought Reason) that I have not jumped on immediately. It wasn’t an upgrade for Reason users.
Thanks for the responses, I'm glad I'm not crazy haha, I bet many people feel some version of this, which is a part of the reason I'm considering buying the upgrade, even though I don't need it, out of paranoia that RS is missing out on the sales they were expecting.
motuscott wrote:
29 Mar 2020
They're offering me 10% off the suite upgrade as a thanks for taking the survey. Suite looks attractive, That's a bargain on several instruments that have interested me. Problem is, I've taken this 12 year old computer as far as she will travel, can't upgrade OS and Reason 11 demands the upgrade. So, new computer, new software, prolly a bunch of new connectors and cableage...
Should I be dropping this kind of cash or hoarding TP, which apparently is going to be the new gold standard. I live in NYC. But I am old and expendable, so I got that going for me...
I forgot about looking into OS requirements, so thanks for the reminder, and yeah it's a crazy time to buy anything not necessary haha, no one is expendable- be safe and may the TP be with you.

sublunar

30 Mar 2020

I will not be upgrading to 11. Reason, to me, is an every-other-version upgrade. There's just not enough there in 11 to justify it.

demt

30 Mar 2020

I found it fun to run reason 11 as a vst in sonar witch is available free from band camp never thought I'd get another daw the experience was excellent as the difference added extra breadth to my skills and its free
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

Loque

30 Mar 2020

pushedbutton wrote:
29 Mar 2020
Its the new gold or bitcoin...
Reason12, Win10

kitekrazy

30 Mar 2020

demt wrote:
30 Mar 2020
I found it fun to run reason 11 as a vst in sonar witch is available free from band camp never thought I'd get another daw the experience was excellent as the difference added extra breadth to my skills and its free
I started out with Sonar. Bandlab does things Reason can't. Bandlab allows to audition midi and synth patches without loading it on the track.

Oquasec

30 Mar 2020

There's some extra missing plugins you may or may not want, but so far the rack plugin is fast to get stuff with with.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

motuscott

30 Mar 2020

Loque wrote:
30 Mar 2020
How many rolls for the upgrade?
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

BradfordMoeller

30 Mar 2020

sublunar wrote:
30 Mar 2020
I will not be upgrading to 11. Reason, to me, is an every-other-version upgrade. There's just not enough there in 11 to justify it.
Makes sense to me- I'm essentially going to upgrade just to support the company, with cross-fading and beat map as perks, not worth 130$ for many people.

enossified

30 Mar 2020

There's no reason to upgrade if you're not interested. Just wait until you are interested because an upgrade from any version to the latest is the same price. I have a version of Cubase that's so old, it's not eligible for any upgrade offer...I have to pay full price, guess I won't be upgrading that any time soon :roll:

invadergir

30 Mar 2020

It's funny seeing this post. I actually switched to Studio One for a while because I got frustrated that Reason 10 couldn't crossfade audio. Then when Reason 11 came out, I had to upgrade because I really wanted that Rack Extension plugin.... to use in the other DAW that I wouldn't have needed -- had I waited for R11. Ah well. S1 has some nice features though, and I don't regret it. Now with R11 and S1, I can have the best of both worlds, and mix and match as much as I want: Europa in a VST, Racks on Racks on Racks, or old-school Rewire, it's all up for grabs. ;)

Loque

31 Mar 2020

motuscott wrote:
30 Mar 2020
Loque wrote:
30 Mar 2020
If your timing is right, maybe 1. If your timing is bad, its just for your 455.
Reason12, Win10

Faastwalker

31 Mar 2020

motuscott wrote:
30 Mar 2020
Loque wrote:
30 Mar 2020

• Information