Can't figure out to record Dr. Octorex loops in Reason 10

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
mip

28 Mar 2020

Hey Gang,

I've been messing around with Reason for a little while, and usually play a midi controller to build drum patterns, basslines, etc. That all seems to work fine. However, how can I go about recording Dr. Octorex loops in Reason 10?

According to this video (at about 2:25, if it doesn't start you there):

one option would be to create a track with Dr. Octorex, and press Record in the transport. When I do that, it "looks" like it's recording, but when I click stop, there's nothing in the track.

Does it no longer work this way, or am I failing to select something to make this happen?

Thanks,
Mip

PhillipOrdonez

28 Mar 2020

There's a button to send notes to track. Can't remember the name right now.

Loque

28 Mar 2020

Right click pop menu send to track.

To create a rex loop sample, bounce a audio clip via popup menu.
Reason12, Win10

mip

28 Mar 2020

Ok - I’ll check that out.

Thanks everyone!

MrFigg
Competition Winner

28 Mar 2020

Right click on one of the 8 number buttons and select automate. Then go to the sequencer and draw a clip using the pencil tool. Then you can hack it up using the razor tool and select which loop each chunk will play.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Oquasec

28 Mar 2020

You can clip launch like that.
I'm guessing this is why it's a good idea to have recycle
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

mip

28 Mar 2020

Thanks gang - these methods will work. I still don't understand why the first method shown in the video doesn't work for me. Does it work for any of you?

EnochLight

28 Mar 2020

mip wrote:
28 Mar 2020
Thanks gang - these methods will work. I still don't understand why the first method shown in the video doesn't work for me. Does it work for any of you?
The first method that your video points to first? Just recording pattern changes? Yes - works perfectly fine:

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

mip

28 Mar 2020

Cool - thanks. I'm not sure what's up on my end, but being a nube, I wouldn't be surprised if I were missing something super obvious.

Thanks again to everyone - this is a great community. I'm glad I've stumbled upon it.

Be well everyone,

M

EnochLight

29 Mar 2020

mip wrote:
28 Mar 2020
Cool - thanks. I'm not sure what's up on my end, but being a nube, I wouldn't be surprised if I were missing something super obvious.

Thanks again to everyone - this is a great community. I'm glad I've stumbled upon it.

Be well everyone,

M
No worries. Did you do exactly what I just demonstrated in the video prior? Can you recreate this on your end?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

mip

29 Mar 2020

Yes - if I record the pattern changes, then the track gets written. I didn’t realize that was necessary.

Thanks

EnochLight

29 Mar 2020

mip wrote:
29 Mar 2020
Yes - if I record the pattern changes, then the track gets written. I didn’t realize that was necessary.

Thanks
It’s not. You can also send the pattern to track instantly. Or record it linearly as audio the old fashioned way. So.. three different ways. Well, actually four ways - you can also drag any REX file into the sequencer manually and it will appear as audio clips. Enjoy!

mip

29 Mar 2020

”Or record it linearly as audio the old fashioned way”

This is what I can’t seem to do. Nothing remains in the track if I just push “record”

The loop starts playing when I press record, and the track turns orange, but as soon as I hit stop, the orange disappears.

Thanks for your help.

selig
RE Developer

29 Mar 2020

mip wrote:
29 Mar 2020

This is what I can’t seem to do. Nothing remains in the track if I just push “record”

The loop starts playing when I press record, and the track turns orange, but as soon as I hit stop, the orange disappears.

Thanks for your help.
AFAIK, the only way to NOT record pattern changes as in the video is to not have the "parameter automation record enable" button engaged. This is the button directly to the right of the Mute Solo buttons in the sequencer. That's all I can guess is going on in your case.
Selig Audio, LLC

EnochLight

29 Mar 2020

mip wrote:
29 Mar 2020

Thanks for your help.
Are you on Windows? If so, make sure you are using an ASIO audio card driver. Then, create an audio track to actually record your Dr. Octo into, select the Dr. Octo as a source, go to your audio track and set it as such, and record your track. Simples. Like this:

mip

29 Mar 2020

Okay - now we're getting somewhere! I'm on a mac, but I didn't have an audio track after Dr. Octorex. I thought just clicking on Dr. Octorex would be all I needed to do. When I created the audio track, and changed the input from my standard audio in/out to the selected the samples for the unit, it worked.

Thanks so much - your video was what I needed to see.

Clearly I have a *lot* to learn!

selig
RE Developer

29 Mar 2020

mip wrote:
29 Mar 2020
Okay - now we're getting somewhere! I'm on a mac, but I didn't have an audio track after Dr. Octorex. I thought just clicking on Dr. Octorex would be all I needed to do. When I created the audio track, and changed the input from my standard audio in/out to the selected the samples for the unit, it worked.

Thanks so much - your video was what I needed to see.

Clearly I have a *lot* to learn!
Just to be clear, the video you linked wasn't about audio tracks, right? If this solution worked for you, great news - and it also explains why none of the previous answers met your needs... ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

mip

29 Mar 2020

So, when I drag the Kong drum machine into the rack, and play it while recording, something gets recorded (without me having to add an audio track to capture it). I'm guessing it's midi info that's getting recorded. When I drag the Octorex into the rack and hit record, what is happening? Is it the case that it's just getting triggered to play while the "tape" is rolling, but that the info it's outputting isn't getting written to tape unless I add an audio track?

I just added another Octorex unit to the rack, and chose the synth patch. I selected some different slots while recording. Again, nothing showed up in the track after I stopped the recording, but there's a green box around the slots, and they change when I play back the tracks.

BTW - I recorded a QuickTime movie to show my process (like you did), but I wasn't able to attach it. Do I need a youtube channel or something to which to upload it, and then link to it in the post?

EnochLight

29 Mar 2020

mip wrote:
29 Mar 2020
So, when I drag the Kong drum machine into the rack, and play it while recording, something gets recorded (without me having to add an audio track to capture it). I'm guessing it's midi info that's getting recorded. When I drag the Octorex into the rack and hit record, what is happening? Is it the case that it's just getting triggered to play while the "tape" is rolling, but that the info it's outputting isn't getting written to tape unless I add an audio track?

I just added another Octorex unit to the rack, and chose the synth patch. I selected some different slots while recording. Again, nothing showed up in the track after I stopped the recording, but there's a green box around the slots, and they change when I play back the tracks.

BTW - I recorded a QuickTime movie to show my process (like you did), but I wasn't able to attach it. Do I need a youtube channel or something to which to upload it, and then link to it in the post?
Please don't take this the wrong way, but it sounds like you need to spend some time reading the manual, as you seem to be misunderstanding some basic fundamentals regarding how Reason devices work. That said, to get started quick - why not watch the basic intro videos for Reason at the following link - it might be enough to get you started:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 87CD4601CD

As for videos, it's pretty much the easiest to upload them to YouTube and post a link - just start a free account. This forum doesn't accept large attachments, and no one wants to risk downloading files from random forum posts that may or may not be safe.

selig
RE Developer

30 Mar 2020

mip wrote:
29 Mar 2020
If there's a green box and things are changing when you play back the tracks, things are TOTALLY getting recorded. Not sure how your system is setup to now allow you to see this. If you right-click on anything in the green rectangle, and select "Edit Automation", it should DEFINITELY show up in the sequencer - does that work for you?
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information