Who uses the Factory Soundbank refills (Factory/Orkester/ReasonSounds)?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Do you use the Factory Soundbanks?

Yes, in every project. 100%
10%
Yes, most of the time. 82.5%
29%
Sometimes. 75%
15%
Occasionally. 50%
13%
Rarely. 25%
25%
No, never. They take up hard drive space and I wish I could delete them. 0%
7%
What are you talking about, I've been living in a cave without wifi.
No votes

Total votes: 68
challism

28 Mar 2020

I'm just curious who still uses the Factor Soundbank. I used to use it a lot, way back when I was a new Reason user. But I don't ever use it these days, unless I need a sample loaded in a patch/song file that everyone will have when I share it.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

MrFigg
Competition Winner

28 Mar 2020

Usually use the Rex drums when I’m starting a song or jamming with myself.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Jackjackdaw

28 Mar 2020

I never use the sounds. I do use fx presets though.

QVprod

28 Mar 2020

If I were a new user I’d use the FSB/Reason Sounds. Only reason I don’t is because most of the sounds have been there forever so I know what to expect being that I started with Reason 3. I recently went through some of the patches though and the sounds are still great. Orkester on the other hand isn’t getting use at all.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

28 Mar 2020

Yes for most of my drums. Kong, Rex Loops.

But for the most part I'm using sounds/patches from REs.

joeyluck

28 Mar 2020

I do use them much less nowadays. I have some favorites I go to. But mostly it's all about workflow.

If the search in the Browser can be improved, that would help and I might find myself using more sounds from the factory banks.

Right now, I have to make the choice to highlight "Reason Sounds" or "Factory Sounds" to search those specifically. That's the way the Browser works for everything... You search for "Echobode" and get 0 results because *whoops* you have 'Instruments' highlighted...

So if that is fixed (a global search), a search as you type, and tags added, then I could see myself stumbling upon more patches in the factory banks.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

28 Mar 2020

In maybe 10% of my songs. The browser/search is so trash that it puts my mind in the wrong space when I need to be happy and creative, not frustrated and derailed. I'm sure there are some gems in there though.

Browsing patches of RE's is frustrating enough, I have Refills in one place, factory in one place, my own in one place, some Refills have patches for multiple synths. I prefer a good VST browser where I can have all sounds in one window, factory/purchased/my own, and browse, tag, search, change quickly with arrow keys, all in one window.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

esselfortium

28 Mar 2020

The drum samples still get used a lot, especially the Kong ones. Whenever I need a reverse cymbal, though, I still usually go to the old Redrum cymbals folder to find something simple and straightforward I can play with.

Very rarely, I'll use one of the Factory Sound Bank's NN-XT instruments if I don't have a better option for the instrument I need, or if I'm wanting something that sounds "sampler-y" for more stylized uses.

The glockenspiel and a handful of the other sounds in the Soundiron devices are wonderful.

For most other things, I'm using third-party libraries.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

adfielding

29 Mar 2020

I've gone with "rarely". The factory sounds were super useful when I was starting out, and I think in a weird sort of way I learned quite a lot in trying to shape what was available into what I actually wanted (with varying results). Nowadays I rely pretty much entirely on third-party or custom stuff, though.

gregmarksimpson

29 Mar 2020

It's fun to every now and again set yourself a challenge to make a track with FSB stuff only. It forces a more creative approach to sample manipulation and there still are some amazing samples, loops and patches in the FSB that just need some decent mixing to sound full.

Bigger isn't always better. I was working on a track the other day and wanted a piano topline to add in as the final piece of the jigsaw. Every fancy piano RE and multi-GB piano library I tried didn't cut through, despite huge amounts of EQ effort, and all the other piano options like sampled M1 and dance pianos just sounded thin and brittle in the context of the mix. I thought I was going to have to abandon the idea until I came across a sampled acoustic piano in an old ReFill from 2005 which, despite being just an 8MB patch, fitted into the space perfectly; requiring minimum EQ. It sounded warm and huge in the mix despite its tiny size. Just goes to show.

plaamook

29 Mar 2020

I’ve used orkester quite a lot for raw material but less now.
Prob will again at some point.

I’d be more inclined to browse that stuff if it wasn’t in refill format. I usually use Mac finder windows rather than the browser.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

Jagwah

29 Mar 2020

Yes I like Reason Sounds I find them inspiring, don't really use the older FSB but I get why it's there. I don't use Orkester but if it was re done (sounds expensive) I would probably dabble in it, I liked an orchestral refill I tried out a while back. Only use a handful of refills. RE patches get used more than anything.

Jagwah

29 Mar 2020

gregmarksimpson wrote:
29 Mar 2020
It's fun to every now and again set yourself a challenge to make a track with FSB stuff only.
Great idea I should try this it could also make a good RT challenge! :thumbs_up:

BRIGGS

29 Mar 2020

The factory samples, are a will stocked refrigerator, to feed Grain. :geek:
r11s

michael.jaye

29 Mar 2020

At some point I was overwhelmed with all the refills and samples I'd collected, and started panicking about if I lost them all. So I started to go to the FSB first. I also use the Rebirth 808/909 samples in nearly every track I make.

Faastwalker

29 Mar 2020

Rarely. But maybe more often as a starting point for the Reason devices. Hear something that works, tweak a bit. It’s good for that for sure. Same with presets in general I think. Good starting points to get going. But feels a bit like cheating if you over do it. That’s why I don’t buy Refills. Well, very rarely.

Steedus
Competition Winner

29 Mar 2020

I find the new(ish) Drum Supply library to be really great. I use it in every project that requires drums/percussion. Loop Supply, not so much. I'm pretty disappointed in that library.

moneykube

30 Mar 2020

I have collected so much stuff... I forgot about the factory sounds ... again I did use them starting out.... been years now
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

iamthor4

22 Nov 2020

ive only recently got reason
and i have the moon echo audio refill collection , im debating whether to get stringwerk as it sounds better than orkestor but im
thinking i probably could get away with orkestor for what i want to do
its a vicious trap going down the /Re/ vst path so ill be using the fsb a lot

Chi-Individual

22 Nov 2020

I have always used the drum samples and Rex loops since R2. Nowadays I still use the drum samples and music samples but mainly in grain for manipulation. And Rex loops in Dr Octo Rex but in a different key. It’s been years since I’ve used just a raw sample or preset from the FSB or Orkerster.

chaosroyale

22 Nov 2020

"No, never. They take up hard drive space and I wish I could delete them. 0%"

I'm so glad you included this option!

I wish there was an option -as part of fixing the terrible RE authorizer maybe- that allowed you to simply check or un-check ANY content/devices to be synced with your version of Reason. I'd keep about half the native devices, and that's it. Don't want any of the factory samples, optional REs or presets taking up space on my SSD and; -this is the important thing for me - I don't want them cluttering up my menu's. I like an efficient, speedy workflow. I hate scrolling through 10 devices just to get to the 2 or 3 I actually use.

• Information