How Do YOU Use Sequencers ?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Proboscis

27 Mar 2020

I enjoy some music I hear with sequencers, but every time I play around, I feel there's no way to put it into a song.

So I'm wondering what the mindset is of others when you're inspired to sequence.

Do you create notes within a chord structure then change between those chords ? Or just run the same sequence throughout a track from start to finish ?

Or do you set it up to a musical scale, and noodle with changing the sequence, from within that scale ?

I've just started playing with the AS-16 Analog Sequencer (DLD Technlogy) RE in Reason, and am determined to use it for something, but as usual it's all a lot of just fooling around rather than creating a track.

BRIGGS

28 Mar 2020

:puf_smile: I mainly use sequencers to build songs. Matrix, Redrum, Drum Sequencer, Kompulsion and Polystep are beasts. I don't have a midi keyboard. I have many approaches to writing a sequence, depending on the part.

I have yet to make use of any of the RE sequencers, that do not have a automated pattern track.

Maybe bounce your AS-16 sequence to audio, then arrange it from there? :?:
r11s

EdGrip

28 Mar 2020

I would usually use it acid-style, or Ostinato - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ostinato

One persistent melody, while any and every parameter of the synth being sequenced evolves. With the AS-16, you can skip around within the sequence by automating buttons - start to subtly vary the sequence once the listener is very used to it.

Jackjackdaw

28 Mar 2020

I make experimental ambientish stuff and I use sequencers a lot but rarely as simple loop machines. Reason is the best thing in the world for modulating sequences. I use the probability and polymeter in Drum Sequencer a lot. I use Robotic bean Seqences with the gated function , where it advances a step with each key press. So one synth is doing something and every now and again another synth layers up. I just grabbed Analog Sequencer and had a play. Set a few dials, put it on random then put it through CV Player tap and added Note echo, created a beautiful generative pad with it. Looking forward to doing more with it. Another technique I use is having a minimal sequence playing a loop on a synth and I play live along with it so it's like a hybrid of loop of sequence and playing.

danc

28 Mar 2020

I (like a HUGE amount of electronic music makers) gravitate towards Aeolian modes (harmonic minor) - because they are easy to work with, have a "mood" that works, and it works well for a huge amount of composition types.

However...after watching a really interesting documentary about behind the scenes making of the Beatles Sgt Pepper's album I am more than tempted to experiment with the wide variety of modes available to us - especially mixing them up and layering them all together. The thing is... it requires a huge investment of time/energy to get your head around to make the most of them.

Now for WHITE SPACE...
One thing that is absolutely paramount is what I call the "white space" of sound. In graphic design, white space is the area that has nothing there (just empty space) and it's the balance between what you draw and what you don't draw. It's an art-form and takes a lifetime for artists to master. So - now back to sound... you have to know when NOT to make a sound and when to make a sound and get the right balance.

What's this go to do with sequencing?? Rhythm, groove, punctuation etc. over time. You have to master how to leave time gaps of not playing anything. You might think I'm waffling... which I am - stuck at home (by law - thanks Corona) looking at white walls isn't good for your brain! Anyway... what I'm trying to say is that it's not just what chords and sequence of notes that are important, it's the timing of it all.

You have to leave enough WHITE SPACE for percussion, vocals, FX etc. I think that is the reason why a lot of people are able to make some great stand-alone arps and sequences etc and then wonder why they can't make a track from it... because they haven't considered WHITE SPACE.

Waffle waffle over! Forgive me - it's a tough few weeks for us all!
Check my Soundcloud:

plaamook

29 Mar 2020

I use Matrix’s for looping things constantly while I’m sketching ideas. Not drum loops necessarily. I loop long samples, field recs, etc in Grain (which is fuckin nuts cause you can now SEE what’s looping) and then at some point bounce to audio for editing and arranging.
In fact it’s so essential to how I work now I’m not sure how I’d function w out em.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

plaamook

29 Mar 2020

Really wish they’d put free run function on matrix though. Prob one of my biggest little requests in Reason. None of the new sequencer Re’s or players cut it imo. Too much junk in there. Just want a simple free running Matrix.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

Oquasec

29 Mar 2020

Set tempo to however many bars I want a pattern to end
Music theory afterwards
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

• Information