Do u use “blocks” in Reason?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
mcatalao
Competition Winner

26 Mar 2020

kuhliloach wrote:
26 Mar 2020
(...)
When the software opens the user should be in Block 1. The first beat you make should already be a Block, and maybe even be a Clip with Ableton-level playback features. Perhaps everything you do in Reason should be forced to be a Block of some kind. And maybe, if you lay audio over all all your Blocks, that should be a Block too.

The confusing thing is that when you open Reason you are not in a Block. It's something that must be turned on, and then things can become confusing to new users. I think there's some great potential here.
Well... Actually... Reason must always open the way you've left your project. Which it already does!

That being said if you want reason to start a project with block 1, you just have to save the opening template with block 1 loaded. Simple.

OTOH, the way i see Reason it is a daw thougtht to create any kind of project. The blocks mode is not compatible for example with more audio oriented sequencial record project, like for example the recording of a band. Or a live recording. Or a Mastering Project.
From the creative standpoint blocks are great to develop an arrangement.

But, as any other of these kinds of projects, you can set your template, with block 1 loaded.

Bloma

26 Mar 2020

I use em all the time, mostly to store different ideas/branches from the main idea. I find it really handy.

MarzT

26 Mar 2020

mcatalao wrote:
26 Mar 2020
I use blocks in 2 ways.

1 - To develop song structure, and build the song from the blocks. My template has a base song structure defined on the blocks with the colors i want.
2 - As markers and coloring song places. Even if i'm working on a pur audio song, i'll define the block structure for project navigation.
3 - With the help of an automation tool called autohotkey i have macros that navigate the project fast to different sections, as markers and their macros (with hotkeys defined to go to the places). This even enhances project navigation even more, i can quickly navigate to the first chorus by hitting win+3 or the bridge with win+5 for example.

If you want to see my macros working with the blocks you can check it here in this video:

As for how to use blocks cratively, i like to refer this Adam Fielding feature video for RS. At minute 3 he explains how he uses blocks in the development of his song:

so cool! Never would have known - now i might give it a try

Kalm

26 Mar 2020

Actually yes, quite frequently
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

Bewlay

27 Mar 2020

Is there still a limit of 32 Blocks in Reason 11? The way I use them for songs/ parts in a live situation, I'm running out!
Reason 10, Mac OS 10.9.5, Digital Performer 7
http://www.grousemusic.com/

Karim
Competition Winner

27 Mar 2020

A LOT! :thumbs_up: :cool:

It is a use that I now make systematically in every song of mine. and I will say more.
it is absolutely essential if you want to easily make "Club Mix" or "Radio Edit" versions with an ease of a few seconds.
But I speak from the perspective of a producer with an attached record label .

I couldn't live without blocks ..
it's one of the most ingenious things ever created in this software.
Ulpu wrote:
26 Mar 2020
Does people find blocks helpful in their workflow? Or how do U usually arrange your loops into song?

Me - before this day I didn’t really needed blocks (I did use the colors though to highlight verse etc in the playlist mode).

But now after playing around FL Studio for a while, I tend to experiment more with the blocks also... Still some things to learn though :mrgreen:
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

Sterioevo

27 Mar 2020

All the time.
It's like 32 songs in one.
In the song mode you put it all together.

Ulpu

27 Mar 2020

Interesting comments and some new ideas also. Thanks everyone!
I think I will try to learn more about the blocks-system… At least it feels pretty suitable for my purposes.
Sure it has limitations. But then again, I think there are work arounds also to these limitations.

FLVZ

27 Mar 2020

Extensively!

I tend to come up with multiple ideas in one sitting and having the ability to sketch in a completely fresh sequencer without having to close and open projects is a workflow dream. Furthermore it allows me to experiment with ideas, and once a block is painted in song mode I can record over it and add or trial ideas on the fly. Also use blocks for live performance since i can automate the tempo in each block

Oquasec

27 Mar 2020

Blocks is a real pattern mode, since it snaps the the marked points in the timeline.
It has the same limitations as fl studios to where you must change the tempo to fit the pattern marks.
Some people prefer that limitation over the linear approach but in general it actually works the same way
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Bewlay

27 Mar 2020

Flavolous wrote:
27 Mar 2020
Extensively!

I tend to come up with multiple ideas in one sitting and having the ability to sketch in a completely fresh sequencer without having to close and open projects is a workflow dream. Furthermore it allows me to experiment with ideas, and once a block is painted in song mode I can record over it and add or trial ideas on the fly. Also use blocks for live performance since i can automate the tempo in each block
I'd never really thought about Blocks this way, thanks for the tip man.
Each Block could also be a different arrangement/ edit of the same track. And you could have a different mix for each arrangement using automation clips.
Be nice to be able to call up multiple different mixes as an future option but for now this is a great new way of thinking about Blocks.
Is there any restriction to using Blocks full time? In other words, do you ever have to not be using a Block? You can Bounce your track/ loop so I can't think of any reason why Blocks shouldn't be the default if you choose.....but maybe I just haven't used them enough.
Reason 10, Mac OS 10.9.5, Digital Performer 7
http://www.grousemusic.com/

eiresurfer

27 Mar 2020

I think Blocks are great. I use them in about 50% of my tunes, but I really wish there was an "Extract to Lane" function.
So that when you've organised a tune around blocks, you could pull all the parts out (excluding muted parts) into their own lane.

guitfnky

27 Mar 2020

eiresurfer wrote:
27 Mar 2020
I think Blocks are great. I use them in about 50% of my tunes, but I really wish there was an "Extract to Lane" function.
So that when you've organised a tune around blocks, you could pull all the parts out (excluding muted parts) into their own lane.
yeah, this would be awesome. at least a couple of times in every song I wish I could just pull one of the tracks forward, instead of having to do all of them, and then removing the ones I don’t need to edit.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

orthodox
RE Developer

27 Mar 2020

guitfnky wrote:
27 Mar 2020
eiresurfer wrote:
27 Mar 2020
yeah, this would be awesome. at least a couple of times in every song I wish I could just pull one of the tracks forward, instead of having to do all of them, and then removing the ones I don’t need to edit.
Maybe i don't get the problem, but what's wrong about “Convert Block Automation to Song Clips”? That it pulls all the lanes from the block?

guitfnky

27 Mar 2020

orthodox wrote:
27 Mar 2020
guitfnky wrote:
27 Mar 2020

Maybe i don't get the problem, but what's wrong about “Convert Block Automation to Song Clips”? That it pulls all the lanes from the block?
yes. if there are 6 tracks playing in a block, and I only need to change one of those tracks in that particular section, I have to convert, then delete the 5 I don’t need to change.

Sterioevo

27 Mar 2020

guitfnky wrote:
27 Mar 2020

yes. if there are 6 tracks playing in a block, and I only need to change one of those tracks in that particular section, I have to convert, then delete the 5 I don’t need to change.
Or you just copy all to a new block and make the changes as required. I find it easier to copy/paste when working on variations. I use the convert function when I want to, for e.g. export the full song arrangement.

Alternatively you just make the changes “on top” of the track as required, in the song mode.

guitfnky

28 Mar 2020

Sterioevo wrote:
27 Mar 2020
guitfnky wrote:
27 Mar 2020

Or you just copy all to a new block and make the changes as required. I find it easier to copy/paste when working on variations. I use the convert function when I want to, for e.g. export the full song arrangement.

Alternatively you just make the changes “on top” of the track as required, in the song mode.
that’s even more cumbersome. convert is great when you need all or most of the clips to be editable. but when you only need one element to edit, it’s not as good an option.

and making changes on top of the track is exactly what I mean. you should be able to pull forward just the one track you need so you can edit it on top of the static block clip underneath. you shouldn’t have to either convert everything in the block, or have to manually go into the block so you can do more copying and pasting. it should be just as simple to pull forward specific pieces as it is to convert the whole thing.

Sterioevo

28 Mar 2020

It is what it is, that's how I use it and it serves me well.
What it "should" be is a whole other thing.

Proboscis

28 Mar 2020

Noiserunner wrote:
26 Mar 2020
Sometimes I use (empty) Blocks for simulating markers
taddx wrote:
26 Mar 2020
All the time, but as markers only.
mcatalao wrote:
26 Mar 2020
As markers and coloring song places.
xboix wrote:
26 Mar 2020
blocks is only good for use in place of a proper marker track.

There are enough people wanting PROPER MARKERS in Reason, to warrant RS to get their finger out of their ass and add the feature.

We should not have to rely on blocks to achieve something as simple as time markers.

One of the many omissions in Reason as a DAW that makes it feel like abandonware, or at least nobody at Propellerhead has ever really used the software as their primary platform.

Back on topic.....

When using blocks 'as intended', the inability to overlap is a reality that's a bit shit. And to add new tracks is all a bit janky.

Blocks in Reason seems like a great idea that was half-implemented, then abandoned.

JunctionArsonist

28 Mar 2020

kuhliloach wrote:
26 Mar 2020
Blocks are so powerful, so what's the rub?

Perhaps everything you do in Reason should be forced to be a Block of some kind.
Until blocks can overlap, they are not powerful and are a hindrance to simple songwriting.

Sterioevo

28 Mar 2020

Abandoned.
Hindered.

Please.

The limit is your imagination.

Pull your head out of your ass and smell the roses.

There are capabilities in this software yet unimagined, go find them.

taddx

28 Mar 2020

Sterioevo wrote:
28 Mar 2020
Abandoned.
Hindered.

Please.

that is deep mate, should get stickied

xboix

28 Mar 2020

taddx wrote:
28 Mar 2020
Sterioevo wrote:
28 Mar 2020
Abandoned.
Hindered.

Please.

that is deep mate, should get stickied
I think all forums should have "Pull your head out of your ass" stickied.

tallguy

28 Mar 2020

I don't use blocks. There's plenty of other stuff for me to learn about making music. I someone could beam some information into my brain matrix style, I would choose "compression" over "blocks".

Not saying I don't ever want to wrap my head around blocks, just that I'm picking my battles. Managing limited time and energy.

EdwardKiy

28 Mar 2020

Sterioevo wrote:
28 Mar 2020
Abandoned.
Hindered.

Please.

Nobody uses Reason sequencer for a project start to finish. Definitely not the developers. The "featured artists", the mods, all the youtubers and literally everyone I saw on this forum. Why? Because it's not "minor inconveniences" here and there - the sequencer is missing a fucking leg. Block mode is (maybe) just one of its problems. I reserve my judgement for now, as I have no experience using it, but I wouldn't be too surprised, since most of the sequencer features are lacking in terms of workflow, to say the least.

People expressing their opinion here paid for the product, and this thread is exactly where it belongs. Make a post on the florists forum where you can tell people what the roses smell like.
Sterioevo wrote:
28 Mar 2020

talking about blocks here, sunshine, not about "unimagined capabilities"
Last edited by EdwardKiy on 28 Mar 2020, edited 1 time in total.

• Information