Do u use “blocks” in Reason?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Proboscis

31 Mar 2020

Oquasec wrote:
31 Mar 2020
The pattern mode is honestly not bad at all. I just wish it was 999 blocks :/
There's a rumor that's just started doing the rounds that Reason Studios are going to rename the block feature 99 Luftballoons

PeterP

31 Mar 2020

I love the block feature and use it in almost all songs I do in Reason.

Usually only 3-4 blocks per song; verse, pre-chorus, chorus and sometime a hook or interlude block.

Each block has the "full fat" version of the section. When I lay out the arrangement of the song in the sequencer I mute tracks to create variations between between verse 1 and 2, for example mute the strings and extra synth layer on the first verse.

Then I add small additional tweaks on top the blocks in the sequencer, maybe to get a nice transition or something.

Finally I record the unique stuff, like guitars and vocals, on completely new tracks.

xbitz

03 Apr 2020

Sterioevo wrote:
30 Mar 2020
xbitz wrote:
30 Mar 2020
btw different instances of the same visually overlapping blocks can be muted differently which is a nice/useful non-destructive creative arranger/productivity tool

like it
That's very useful, thanks for sharing.
btw. Adam Fielding uses this technique worth to watch his workflow

1h:36m from
:reason: :recycle: :re: :record: :refill: :rt:

guitfnky

03 Apr 2020

one thing I just realized about why they don’t allow overlapping blocks...you can tie time signature and tempo changes to blocks. as weird as it could get with overlapping audio and MIDI tracks, having to resolve time sig and tempo differences would be even weirder.

I hope they never do that. 😆
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

orthodox
RE Developer

03 Apr 2020

guitfnky wrote:
03 Apr 2020
one thing I just realized about why they don’t allow overlapping blocks...you can tie time signature and tempo changes to blocks. as weird as it could get with overlapping audio and MIDI tracks, having to resolve time sig and tempo differences would be even weirder.

Yeah, that's frightening. We should forget about overlapping, it's too dangerous. Not just a regular clip clash, but tempo automation...
:)
Last edited by orthodox on 03 Apr 2020, edited 1 time in total.

guitfnky

03 Apr 2020

orthodox wrote:
03 Apr 2020
guitfnky wrote:
03 Apr 2020

Yeah, that's frightening. We should forget about overlapping, it's too dangerous. Not just a regular clip clash, but tempo changes...
I know you’re being sarcastic, and obviously it’s not dangerous. it would just make things unnecessarily messy. introducing “features” that cause results users can’t predict, making them clean up the mess afterward would be...kind of dumb.

honestly, if you learn how to use them as advertised, there’s no need for overlapping blocks, nor to have 999 of them. those who feel they need either probably don’t have a very good grasp of how to use them in the first place.

orthodox
RE Developer

03 Apr 2020

guitfnky wrote:
03 Apr 2020
orthodox wrote:
03 Apr 2020

Yeah, that's frightening. We should forget about overlapping, it's too dangerous. Not just a regular clip clash, but tempo changes...
I know you’re being sarcastic, and obviously it’s not dangerous. it would just make things unnecessarily messy. introducing “features” that cause results users can’t predict, making them clean up the mess afterward would be...kind of dumb.

honestly, if you learn how to use them as advertised, there’s no need for overlapping blocks, nor to have 999 of them. those who feel they need either probably don’t have a very good grasp of how to use them in the first place.
It's pretty easy to avoid. If overlapping clips is unpredictable, just don't do that. Or create song clips in the places of conflict, they always have priority.
They might show exclamation signs at those places , allowing to right-click it and select the block clip to play or to mute.

guitfnky

03 Apr 2020

orthodox wrote:
03 Apr 2020
guitfnky wrote:
03 Apr 2020

It's pretty easy to avoid. If overlapping clips is unpredictable, just don't do that. Or create song clips in the places of conflict, they always have priority.
They might show exclamation signs at those places , allowing to right-click it and select the block clip to play or to mute.
it’s actually even easier to avoid than that. they just shouldn’t add it. 🙃

orthodox
RE Developer

03 Apr 2020

guitfnky wrote:
03 Apr 2020
orthodox wrote:
03 Apr 2020

You conservatives can't stop the progress :)

guitfnky

03 Apr 2020

orthodox wrote:
03 Apr 2020
guitfnky wrote:
03 Apr 2020

that’s the first, and probably last time I’ve ever been called a conservative. :lol:

orthodox
RE Developer

03 Apr 2020

guitfnky wrote:
03 Apr 2020
orthodox wrote:
03 Apr 2020

that’s the first, and probably last time I’ve ever been called a conservative. :lol:
Sorry if that offends.

I just thought of another way to resolve possible issues. Just allow multiple lanes on the Block pattern track. In case of conflict, the clip brought by block pattern on the topmost lane takes precedence.

danc

03 Apr 2020

One thing I will say is this... I was a devout Reason user until about a year ago, as I moved my sequencing/arranging over to Studio One as I immediately get all the features that I couldn't be bothered to wait for in Reason. Unlikely to appear for another 10 years at this pace.

But it's not all roses...
...because - the one thing that I REALLY miss from Reason that I don't have anything similar at my disposal in S1 is BLOCKS. I found so many creative ways of using blocks... I especially miss the arranging power that it has if you mute individual lanes. And I loved shifting the start point of blocks so that they began part way through the block sequence, to create some really interesting variations.

Thankfully I have Reason in a rack to still access all my fav REs etc. NNXT although old and annoying in many ways is still my fav way to quickly construct sampler instruments. It just works and well.

Anyway - don't knock BLOCKS. If you don't like them... don't use them. But for many people they are AMAZING and creative and useful.
Check my Soundcloud:

guitfnky

03 Apr 2020

danc wrote:
03 Apr 2020
One thing I will say is this... I was a devout Reason user until about a year ago, as I moved my sequencing/arranging over to Studio One as I immediately get all the features that I couldn't be bothered to wait for in Reason. Unlikely to appear for another 10 years at this pace.

But it's not all roses...
...because - the one thing that I REALLY miss from Reason that I don't have anything similar at my disposal in S1 is BLOCKS. I found so many creative ways of using blocks... I especially miss the arranging power that it has if you mute individual lanes. And I loved shifting the start point of blocks so that they began part way through the block sequence, to create some really interesting variations.

Thankfully I have Reason in a rack to still access all my fav REs etc. NNXT although old and annoying in many ways is still my fav way to quickly construct sampler instruments. It just works and well.

Anyway - don't knock BLOCKS. If you don't like them... don't use them. But for many people they are AMAZING and creative and useful.
you’ve got it. Blocks have limitations, sure, but they do allow you to do some really interesting stuff. it surprises me to hear that some people weren’t aware that you can mute tracks within blocks, or even sections, if you split the block. that’s such a powerful tool.

BradfordMoeller

03 Apr 2020

I use them every time, but just as markers for parts of songs.
:reason:)))

gregmarksimpson

05 Apr 2020

Ulpu wrote:
26 Mar 2020
Does people find blocks helpful in their workflow? Or how do U usually arrange your loops into song?

Me - before this day I didn’t really needed blocks (I did use the colors though to highlight verse etc in the playlist mode).

But now after playing around FL Studio for a while, I tend to experiment more with the blocks also... Still some things to learn though :mrgreen:
I find Blocks are the fastest way to get from an idea to an arrangement. I take the idea and put it into Block 1. Then Ichange to Block 2, perhaps bring the drum part over, perhaps make a new one, and compose the second part. Then I do the same for Block 3. I usually then switch to Song view and create an arrangement out of my A, B and C parts. Leaving space for a D part which I then compose after a listen through to my arrangement to see what the piece is lacking and needs. This D part is usually the middle-8 and I usually don't bother with a Block at this point, I just put it straight into the song.

Good luck!

• Information