Reinstall: Deauthorizing...and also an email virus question

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

23 Mar 2020

RIght...I got an email with a .doc attachment and I know...I KNOW I shouldn't have opened it but I was in a curious mood. Now after reading about email viruses I fond that many go in through opening word documents. I don't have Word or any of the Microsoft Office stuff. I use Open Office but when I clicked on the file Open Office opened and then closed directly. I was in on Program Data on my C drive and I noticed a file called "regid.1991-06.com.microsoft_Windows-10-Pro.swidtag". Never seen it before. Read a bit on the net which says swidtag files usually appear after infection from an email virus. Usually Ransomware. I've done a couple of full scans on the email attachment with defender which turned up nothing. I've done a few online scans on the web...a few said no problem and a few said the file was password encrypted. Anyway...I'm still paranoid. I've never ever had a virus on my pc but I'm wondering. I've been thinking of doing a completely fresh Windows 10 install for a while but what with all the updates it's going to take totally ages. So....anyone know anything about swidtag files? Am I worrying needlessly.

And the main question of the thread. I've deauthorized my pc for Reason. I've deactivated all my iLok licences and I've deauthorized a few VSTs. I've backed up everything that I need from my C drive. Am I forgetting anything?

Thanks if you can give me any help on either or both of these questions.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Loque

23 Mar 2020

* Disconnect everything unneeded from network and computer
* be aware of possible stolen passwords
* try to scan hd from other computer with AV software
* check all authorization software
* Never OPEN A DOCUMENT FROM UNKNOWN SOURCE!!! AND BE CAREFUL WITH KNOWN SOURCE TOO!

Fingers crossed. Good luck.
Reason12, Win10

• Information