MIDI mapping without Remote Override

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
esefelipe

21 Mar 2020

I have a MIDI foot controller that can be programmed to output anything I need it to do. I'd like to be able to use it with Reason without having to set up remote overrides in each project. I know I can create a template project, but that doesn't help with any existing projects.

I can't wrap my head around the LUA, Codec and Map files that exist for some MIDI devices. I've got plenty of development experience but the lack of documentation really hurts.

I see the generic MIDI implementation chart. That's helpful for individual devices. What I'd like to have is transport control. What are the generic MIDI CCs used for transport and things like undo/redo (when Remote Overrides are not applied)? Or, what file(s) do I need to edit to add a generic MIDI implementation for transport control?

sonicbyte

23 Mar 2020

Hi, as you said, you should the template for any new project. There is no way so far to make your changes backward compatible, sadly, you must edit each old song manually to match your current setup.

esefelipe

23 Mar 2020

I can plug in any controller that has an existing codec and it’s transport controls will work - no adjusting any templates. Is there no method to create new Remote MIDI Codecs and Mapping files for custom controllers? Or just no way to specify transport controls in those files?

Do I need a developer account to create Remote codecs?

rmtcvolte

23 Mar 2020

Hi, Reason Studios has changed all that SDK, developer stuff a view weeks ago (Can´t find the link). But sign in as a developer is easy, but should not be necessary.
Starting to adapt an existing codec, should be also possible - this is what I´ve done first. Which foot controller is it, you need a codec for?

esefelipe

23 Mar 2020

rmtcvolte wrote:
23 Mar 2020
Hi, Reason Studios has changed all that SDK, developer stuff a view weeks ago (Can´t find the link). But sign in as a developer is easy, but should not be necessary.
Starting to adapt an existing codec, should be also possible - this is what I´ve done first. Which foot controller is it, you need a codec for?
The Morningstar MC6, a 6 button controller which doesn’t have any built-in settings/presets. I can assign the switches to do whatever I want - CC value on press, different CC value on release, MIDI notes with velocities, PC, SysEx, it even sends MIDI clock. For now, I’ve set up a scheme of several CCs in hopes that I can edit those into a codec+map.

I’ll check out that link, thanks!

• Information