MP3 Yeah

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
FGL

21 Mar 2020

Finally Mp3 export. Other things no longer make sense today. Aif production is dead. Nobody buys Aif, nobody uses Aif outside of production. If you want to listen to the things you have done, with the iphone or in the car, you need MP3.

Skimrok

21 Mar 2020

I disagree I don't listen to mp3s personally never liked the format and the size of phone storage these days I have plenty of tunes in wav to keep me happy , that's me anyway
12 with 11 Suite :reason:/ Akai Mini Mk3 / MPD218 /Eve SC207 Monitors / Mrs10 Sub / Motu M2 / Zen Can

Heigen5

21 Mar 2020

Mp3 export - well I have a Switch mp3 converter that converts any audio to any audio, but hey, still... :thumbs_up:

Biolumin3sc3nt

21 Mar 2020

Yay... let's go back to Nintendo while We're at it!

Biolumin3sc3nt

21 Mar 2020

FGL wrote:
21 Mar 2020
Finally Mp3 export. Other things no longer make sense today. Aif production is dead. Nobody buys Aif, nobody uses Aif outside of production. If you want to listen to the things you have done, with the iphone or in the car, you need MP3.
I don't know what Crack Pipe You're smoking out of, but yes People still buy music in lossless formats. If You wanna still live in 2001, with a 56k modem, by all means do so.

Biolumin3sc3nt

21 Mar 2020

I would also like to apologize to the world, I just had 2 ingrown toenails fixed yesterday afternoon. I'm in pain, having a few cocktails this morning and I'm grumpy as hell. I also want MP3 to burn in hell.

Please forgive Me!

FGL

21 Mar 2020

Heigen5 wrote:
21 Mar 2020
Mp3 export - well I have a Switch mp3 converter that converts any audio to any audio, but hey, still... :thumbs_up:
I have also one. Who dont? But this is way faster. I need this three times a day in production. Cause I hear what I do in the car and on this little Devices mostly, like 98 Percent of Humans do. Aiff is dead, it is only for doing it in Production-Software.

plaamook

21 Mar 2020

Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:
21 Mar 2020
... I also want MP3 to burn in hell.
Tough 😎
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

plaamook

21 Mar 2020

MP3 export. 💪
Just one less thing to annoy me
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

FGL

21 Mar 2020

Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:
21 Mar 2020
I would also like to apologize to the world, I just had 2 ingrown toenails fixed yesterday afternoon. I'm in pain, having a few cocktails this morning and I'm grumpy as hell. I also want MP3 to burn in hell.

Please forgive Me!
All fine, no Problem, with different Opinons.

FGL

21 Mar 2020

Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:
21 Mar 2020
FGL wrote:
21 Mar 2020
I don't know what Crack Pipe You're smoking out of, but yes People still buy music in lossless formats. If You wanna still live in 2001, with a 56k modem, by all means do so.
Well, look at the numbers. Where did the cupboards go? Ikea doesn't sell them. Music industry today is MP3. Apple Music, Spotify. CDs only buy grannies for their grandchildren.

FGL

21 Mar 2020

Nobody, her the difference between Aif and MP3 at high Kompression Rate. It is all Illusion, like the warm sound of Vinyl.

FGL

21 Mar 2020

Problem of today is, my Grandpa buyed me a CD but how could I get it on my phone.

EdwardKiy

22 Mar 2020

FGL wrote:
21 Mar 2020
Nobody, her the difference between Aif and MP3 at high Kompression Rate. It is all Illusion, like the warm sound of Vinyl.
If you don't hear the difference between mp3 and a lossless format, you need to go get your ears checked mate. This is not up for discussion from a technical perspective and I've done too many blind tests to count. And if you enjoy listening to compressed streamed (garbage) audio, then you have no business telling anything about sound quality to anyone anywhere ever. Keep your deficits to yourself.

MP3 export is very handy for collabs, when you need to exchange a bunch of ideas back and forth quickly, so it's a welcome feature, but not for a good listening experience.

FGL

22 Mar 2020

Nice try. They have done many blind tests. Most in Music is pure Illusion and esoteric. Some Genius who knows he ist testet and has much experience can hear it on a professional Setup that 99,9 Percent don‘t have. But Nobody ever won in Game like this. It is like the Vinyl warmth. In Reality the People hear some Music on Youtube from sixties TV Shows in Mpeg. People who think they have supreme Ears mostly only have a big ego. Children have the best ears. If you getting older you lose it. But most supreme Mixing Mastering Experts are old Guys, how comes?

" The weakest link by far is the human ear, especially past your twenties!"

People who hear much loud music like DJs, or Rockmusicans often not even have a normal hearing.

And most modern music is the counter-thesis to good hearing, also the THX cinema sound. It's ridiculous when people who like to distort tones and prefer the strongest spice, report their superhuman taste buds.

https://www.nmz.de/online/auch-hifi-lie ... erscheiden

https://www.digitec.ch/de/page/audio-ko ... dtest-6592

EdwardKiy

22 Mar 2020

FGL wrote:
22 Mar 2020
Nice try. They have done many blind tests.
I've done at least 10 yesterday. nice try.
FGL wrote:
22 Mar 2020
Most in Music is pure Illusion and esoteric.
It may not make much of a difference if you listen to stuff that has 0 dynamic range, like dubstep, but Mp3 is a lossy format. It was designed to give a representation of what the original was. That's the DEFINITION of a lossy format. It irreversibly degrades the signal and cannot be made back into a wav or flac or aiff again, even using the same "advanced compression algorithms" that made it into mp3. You understand "irreversible degradation"?
FGL wrote:
22 Mar 2020
Some Genius who knows he ist testet and has much experience can hear it on a professional Setup that 99,9 Percent don‘t have. But Nobody ever won in Game like this. It is like the Vinyl warmth. In Reality the People hear some Music on Youtube from sixties TV Shows in Mpeg.
It appears that even a modest $250 setup of mid-ranged beyerndynamics and a focusrite is plenty enough to hear the difference. On a good setup the difference is night and day, trust me, mp3 is like the sound is suspended in milk.
FGL wrote:
22 Mar 2020
People who think they have supreme Ears mostly only have a big ego.
My ego is so huge, it can easily support a family of 4, but I don't think my ears are supreme. I merely suggested yours were below the 50th centile, seeing as you like to listen to streamed music and mp3 sounds good to you. You then went on to "people listening to music on youtube videos". Why would I even give a toss about what "people do"? There's people drinking urine ffs.
FGL wrote:
22 Mar 2020
Children have the best ears. If you getting older you lose it.
I'm 30+, and while I can still hear the difference, I will be treating my ears right, thank you.
FGL wrote:
22 Mar 2020
But most supreme Mixing Mastering Experts are old Guys, how comes?
because you get more skillful if you do the same thing for longer. Or were you implying some hidden logic here?

EDIT: your inline picture doesn't even show the result of the test, saying it "gravitates" towards people not being able to discern, from which I would infer he is upset that people can actually tell the difference.

One other link is just an opinion with nothing to back it up, just like yours.
I'll take the test from the third one in an hour, when the download finishes.

Edit2: okay I took the test, got the top option right for classic, 2nd best option (state-of-the-art compression quality mp3) for jazz and missed the rock one completely, but holy moly was the mix terrible. So 3 tasks, 5 quality options each, 1 correct 1 second-best to correct and missed the 3rd one. This is almost 2/3, but over 50% anyway you put it. And here's the best part - all the recordings were unfamiliar to me. The author claims he wanted to reproduce how we "normally listen to music" so he didn't give queues on what to listen for and claimed that most music we listen to is unfamiliar to us, which is complete bollox. I know exactly what I like, and most of the time I listen to a selection of music I consider good over and over at highest possible quality.

You can take a hike now, Mr. Esoteric

OverneathTheSkyBridg

23 Mar 2020

MP3 should've happened like four versions ago. Nonetheless it is welcome.

FGL

23 Mar 2020

"because you get more skillful if you do the same thing for longer."

Aha, I understand, the same thing as in football, players at 80 are the best. Moby is the perfect counter evidence. Most of the time it takes time for most of them to establish themselves in the business. But the ears are not getting any better and it is much more important how you process what you hear intellectually.

Karim
Competition Winner

23 Mar 2020

I requested that feature in 2001 or 2002 I think..
Mmm... Before the world ends... at last :puf_smile:
FGL wrote:
21 Mar 2020
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

FGL

23 Mar 2020

I think this discussion of hearing some difference in quality was a big thing into the ninetees.

EdwardKiy

23 Mar 2020

FGL wrote:
23 Mar 2020
"because you get more skillful if you do the same thing for longer."

Aha, I understand, the same thing as in football, players at 80 are the best. Moby is the perfect counter evidence. Most of the time it takes time for most of them to establish themselves in the business. But the ears are not getting any better and it is much more important how you process what you hear intellectually.
Can you build a response where you don't trash yourself before I can do it? You're taking all the fun away. Thanks.

First, to support your claim, you give links that are proof of the exact opposite of what you said and now this... So you said yourself that
FGL wrote:
23 Mar 2020
it is much more important how you process what you hear intellectually
, and yet of all the professions you chose football players as being similar to sound engineers?

How about politicians, investment bankers, doctors? How come the top surgeons in every specialization are 60+? Their sight is dull, their backs are weak and bones are brittle, their reflexes and coordination obviously slow. Why aren't kids the best surgeons? Any guesses? What's even funnier, all the top football players - top 10, top 50, top 100 - whatever, are predominantly 30 years +, so are past their physical prime. Why are they becoming THE BEST after they start losing physical ability? Even with this ridiculous "example" you fail.

Here's another interesting fact - the "audiophile" market is currently experiencing the highest growth since ever. Here's a market report and projection for the headphones segment for the next 10 years https://market.us/report/audiophile-headphone-market/

Saving space is hardly an issue now, hi-end processing and playback hardware becoming better and cheaper by the day and entering pockets and homes - all of these things point to lossy formats becoming redundant - the exact opposite of what you believe. Companies like marshall are investing in going from studio and concert equipment to high-end home and personal equipment because that market is growing.

Also, since you conveniently ignored the definition of a lossy format, I will be reminding it to you until you can get it in your head. Lossy format is a REPRESENTATION of what the original data is. It equates to irreversible signal degradation. Irreversible degradation, Carl.

To reiterate, take a hike.

fail.jpg
fail.jpg (83.72 KiB) Viewed 3107 times

Skimrok

23 Mar 2020

Forgive my spelling

people which downloaded mp3s in 2001 era, forget about mp3 in the nineties

lots of people didn't know the difference sizes ie 128kbs was big back then and partly due to illegal sites audiogalaxy etc and lets talk about good old dial modems and speeds of downloads was a huge factor for them , so when people played mp3s back in them days it was very noticeable, even moving forward mp3s would of got a decline from a cutting houses / mastering houses, yes it was all external not like the last 15 years that's for sure

I know 320kbs is normal now but if you was around clubs radios and events mp3s would stand out in a bad way for various reasons which technically I can only speculate, set ups was geared for vinyl and the various quality differences ie not 320kb not mastered tunes etc could be massive

now with the power of software and DAWs has changed it a lot so much so if you wasn't around in them days its hard to understand and actually pointless in some ways because that's then and this is now this may go right over your head , older guys which loved valve amps could tell the sound difference with modern amp of the 80s and 90s and I do feel that happens in generations of music lovers, if you been around mp3s most of your life how can you understand anything else which you not custom too , , there is cases for all sides and if you like mp3s fill you boots and enjoy, if you like wavs fill your boots and enjoy, vinyl v mp3 is so varied technically no one will win each case because we all used to different things.let alone the human hearing has differences in us all . because it changes as we go through iife

dats was big in the ninites with recording studios , cdrs was late 90s around pound a go then the cost got better and better each year moving forward then become old news really in the last 10 to 15 years , oh yeah minidisk nearly made traction in the early 90s but really popped its head in the late 90s early 2000s

what you got to remember its so easy for someone to defend or dismiss anything , just look at latest daws for example , what works for one wont work for another , so mp3 verses zyz is a bit pointless really because we all hear things slightly differently and some have better playback devices then others

enjoy and make music
12 with 11 Suite :reason:/ Akai Mini Mk3 / MPD218 /Eve SC207 Monitors / Mrs10 Sub / Motu M2 / Zen Can

Steedus
Competition Winner

09 May 2020

Hey just a general question here (not an excuse to bash the feature), but I just grabbed 11 Suite and went to export a demo track and saw there's the option for MP3 export! (I'd completely forgotten that was a thing now). But it doesn't appear to allow you to change any settings, or am I missing something here? By default it looks like it renders at full mp3 quality which is good, but I was just curious.

I did try and RTFM, but it's not mentioned in there at all - or at least not in the v11.2 manual which is the latest one I could find on Reason Studios site.

DaveyG

10 May 2020

Steedus wrote:
09 May 2020
Hey just a general question here (not an excuse to bash the feature), but I just grabbed 11 Suite and went to export a demo track and saw there's the option for MP3 export! (I'd completely forgotten that was a thing now). But it doesn't appear to allow you to change any settings, or am I missing something here? By default it looks like it renders at full mp3 quality which is good, but I was just curious.

I did try and RTFM, but it's not mentioned in there at all - or at least not in the v11.2 manual which is the latest one I could find on Reason Studios site.
Yes, you are correct that there are no adjustable settings. A very strange design decision!

Popey
Competition Winner

10 May 2020

Being able to export MP3 direct from reason is handy as you then don't need to take a extra step of converting from wav in another piece of software. That said the only time I ever want to convert to mp3 is to email a copy to a client or collab during creation stages of a project. For me yes it's a nice addition but hardly game changing.

• Information