A Good Farewell

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Luxuria

12 Mar 2020

I can't take it anymore!

I'm caving in, upgrading to R11- ditching the DAW and sticking the RRP in Reaper 6.

I was cruising through the boonies when I realized why I love Reason; the damn rack!

I can't stand the torture any longer of having to think that the team manning this ship is slow, partly incompetent or willfully uninspired, and owned by a VC that doesn't care about the product.

Compliments to sticking to the flagship of the product and where it all started. Sad it couldn't have been more while I'm still young :lol:

A video on youtube broke me: (check it out: It's a much better DAW!!!! https://youtu.be/zyKSfStJElo) into admitting defeat for this battle.

They can have my $129 but they won't see me back! Unless by God they pull a typical PHeads move and put a paywall on the graphic update :thumbs_down:

I'll also pick up Expanse on my way out...Thank you.

But I'm gone! No more seeing infinite threads turn into request posts without a reply from Devs or even the pretty quiet Mattias. No more disappointingly small drip fed updates or IMO: misdirected shots at 1-3 things the team will focus 6-12 months on and still end up half baking somehow.
:wave:

PhillipOrdonez

12 Mar 2020

Have fun!

Loque

12 Mar 2020

BB.
Reason12, Win10

EnochLight

12 Mar 2020

original.jpg
original.jpg (37.4 KiB) Viewed 6206 times
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EdwardKiy

12 Mar 2020

Luxuria wrote:
12 Mar 2020
I can't take it anymore.

I can't stand the torture any longer
I'm hoping the HD patch (it's a patch, right?) is the part of the Grand Sequencer Reason Update to make it King. Hold on!

Jmax

13 Mar 2020

Once a Reason user, always a Reason user. You'll be back ohahahaha ;)

VIVIsect

13 Mar 2020

Jmax wrote:
13 Mar 2020
Yeah, when Record was announced as a separate app way back, I said "lol nope" and ditched Reason for Logic. And now look at me, owning Reason 11 after all these years. :lol:

Oquasec

13 Mar 2020

Reason is made in a way that it would take a while to even understand all of the program.
There's no way in hell you'd be a master at Reason 5+ without practicing each section religiously.
As in learning all the instruments, effects & utilities would be a huge task by itself let alone connected to something else.
---
The controls stay the same because they don't need to change on something that is supposed to be a analog sim.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

selig
RE Developer

13 Mar 2020

Jmax wrote:
13 Mar 2020
Truth, literally - you cannot purchase the plugin on it's own, so even if you don't RUN the full version you STILL have to purchase/update it. And thus you would still want it to be fully supported so the plugin version doesn't also go away. ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

13 Mar 2020

Sometimes I feel like it's a good thing that I don't know what I'm missing out on with other DAWs. I'm in my own shielded little Reason world and feel pretty content with what I've got. I just feel like I get by pretty well with what's there already.
Ignorance is bliss I guess.

I did use Reaper for a little while about 7 years ago before I started using Reason. It was alright, but for whatever reason I just preferred Reason. I think Reaper just seemed less inspiring to me. There's just something about the way it looks. I know you can change skins but it still doesn't help. Call me shallow but these things matters.
I've also seen quite a bit of Pro Tools since a couple of my friends have used that. But that DAW just looks dull as hell to me.

I know some people give Reason crap for being toyish and not "serious" enough. To me it's the other way around. Making music is supposed to be fun. I want my DAW/REs/plugins to feel like toys.

Anyway good luck with Reaper. Do whatever fits your needs.

bxbrkrz

13 Mar 2020

Another Dear John Reason letter.
In the end use the tools that shorten the length between the first spark in your head and the execution. Use what fits you best.
It's a good farewell now, to a future great welcome back.
Always.
:puf_smile:
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

joeyluck

13 Mar 2020

Doesn't sound like a farewell to me! If you continue using the RRP, that's using Reason.

And a good amount of new Reason users and ReasonTalk members are RRP users.

reddust

13 Mar 2020

I moved recently back to Ableton Live, but never felt like I left Reason, actually I have so little time lately that I haven't used any of both. I guess one of them is going to become my main tool in the future but I would never say never and having two different tools is always better than having one one, another thing is if I will purchase any upgrade for any of them in the near future :)

hurricane
Competition Winner

13 Mar 2020

joeyluck wrote:
13 Mar 2020
And honestly (surprisingly too) using the RRP in Logic feels so "Reasony" that even though I am no longer using Reason the DAW, I still feel like a Reason user. I'm definitely not missing anything, and instead of sitting there frustrated, I'm fully taking advantage of all the things Logic offers that us Reason DAW users have been wishing 4 for YEARS.
Last edited by hurricane on 13 Mar 2020, edited 1 time in total.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Creativemind

13 Mar 2020

Luxuria wrote:
12 Mar 2020
I can't take it anymore!

I'm caving in, upgrading to R11- ditching the DAW and sticking the RRP in Reaper 6.

I was cruising through the boonies when I realized why I love Reason; the damn rack!

I can't stand the torture any longer of having to think that the team manning this ship is slow, partly incompetent or willfully uninspired, and owned by a VC that doesn't care about the product.

Compliments to sticking to the flagship of the product and where it all started. Sad it couldn't have been more while I'm still young :lol:

A video on youtube broke me: (check it out: It's a much better DAW!!!! https://youtu.be/zyKSfStJElo) into admitting defeat for this battle.

They can have my $129 but they won't see me back! Unless by God they pull a typical PHeads move and put a paywall on the graphic update :thumbs_down:

But I'm gone! No more seeing infinite threads turn into request posts without a reply from Devs or even the pretty quiet Mattias. No more disappointingly small drip fed updates or IMO: misdirected shots at 1-3 things the team will focus 6-12 months on and still end up half baking somehow.
On the verge of doing the same. Just bought a new powerful comp and have Reaper 6 but not upgraded to Reason 11 yet. Trying to find the cheapest upgrade online. Think I've found one (someone put me onto it on another thread of mine) but still waiting for a response from that particular shop after I'd messaged then with a query.

The features in Reaper are endless from the vids I've seen. I'm yet to find a feature Reaper doesn't have?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

kitekrazy

13 Mar 2020

Jmax wrote:
13 Mar 2020
More like once a Reaper user, always a Reaper user. I find Reason and Reaper quite different. It's an excellent DAW.

ast3rix

13 Mar 2020

LOL!!! Kinda hard to say you're gone when you're using the rack. I moved over to Ableton Live 10 and have officially been using it for 2 years. During that time I sure missed my rack extensions. I was super happy to see the adoption of the rack and the updates that they have been doing to it. I use it more now than any of my other vst's!!! I love the flexibility of the rack and how you can pull together sounds and build up sounds. I have really been totally in love with the grain sampler. I feel you on the DAW part thou.. I love the work flow of Ableton and nothing beats the warp features. I am in heaven with my setup right now... I hope reason studio keeps improving the rack... it's where they started and what they are really good at.

QVprod

13 Mar 2020

hurricane wrote:
13 Mar 2020
joeyluck wrote:
13 Mar 2020
And honestly (surprisingly too) using the RRP in Logic feels so "Reasony" that even though I am no longer using Reason the DAW, I still feel like a Reason user. I'm definitely not missing anything, and instead of sitting there frustrated, I'm fully taking advantage of all the things Logic offers that us Reason DAW users have been wishing 4 for YEARS.
And this here is the whole point! Why keep hoping to get what you want when you can simply have it.

Oquasec

13 Mar 2020

The sequencer is pretty troublesome to deal with on a bad mouse.
Which is why ima be gettin backups
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Jagwah

14 Mar 2020

The file size of the program is amazing and must be light on people's computers. The sequencer looks horrible, but I like how the base program has obviously been worked on a lot. Didn't entice me much, but I am a bit biased.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see you back one day, however I really do understand how waiting forever for something, only to have to wait another eternity for it, only to then realise you could wait all your life and it may never come - can really burn you out, and it may be a wise move to move on now, before another eternity of waiting. Either way good luck and have fun!

mcatalao
Competition Winner

14 Mar 2020

You're ditching reason for reaper? Oh boy...

mcatalao
Competition Winner

14 Mar 2020

It's actually interesting a lot of the stuff that's mentioned in the video is similarly implemented in reason, while other stuff is simply not there (most particularly track freezing, track and mixer channel grouping and some other stuff). But imho, the software is so convoluted, stuff is so crammed in that reaper always felt very very convoluted.

Plus midi editing, while having a lot of features is hideous. That's the thing with reaper. It has everything Any other daw has (except for reasons rack) but so freaking crammed!!!

So what happened to me some years ago was that I tried it and was Always lost.

Heater

14 Mar 2020

I bought the upgrade to 11 so I can use the plug in with a DAW that had track freeze. Ironically the performance improvements means I don’t have use it.

My 15 year old was looking for a DAW and tried a few and is now using Reason. I know it so well I don’t even need to think about how I do stuff.

EdwardKiy

14 Mar 2020

ast3rix wrote:
13 Mar 2020
I feel you on the DAW part thou.. I love the work flow of Ableton and nothing beats the warp features. I am in heaven with my setup right now... I hope reason studio keeps improving the rack... it's where they started and what they are really good at.
I really hope they don't. Or if they do, they should change the name back to Propellerheads or Reason Rack Makers, because a studio is not a place where people gather before going to another place to make music. The name is misleading.

Mike B

14 Mar 2020

Luxuria wrote:
12 Mar 2020
I can't take it anymore!

I must say I really feel you on that. I've had some fun with Reason, but because of the major missing features that have been stated countless times in this forum (missing vst3, weak sequencer editing tools and piano roll, missing tempo detection, missing custom keys, unfriendly laptop keyboard to play keys like other daws such as ableton, etc, missing channel grouping...) I quickly backed off.

I love Reason, but in this day and age it's just not it unfortunately.

Studio One seems like the right balance for the future DAW, in my humble opinion.

• Information