CPU priority

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Eeeejection

10 Mar 2020

Hi folks , since updating to the latest version of reason 10 (also moved to win10) I've notice in the preferences menu I can no longer choose CPU usage value ???
Before updating Reason and windows I had no problem running a few VSTs at a time including Serum and my Roland cloud synths , now I'm getting all the crackling and popping , not had a song actually stop with the "please optimize" message yet though.
Running an i7 , 16gb ram but with a pretty basic audio interface for my monitors.
Is there another way to set CPU priority now ?

As I mentioned I had no problems running a few VSTs at a time before updating.

Thanks

Loque

10 Mar 2020

The setting was pointless.

Check if your VSTs are working in multi core mode, which my interfere with Reasons multi core support. Make a decision who manages multi core support.
Reason12, Win10

Jowe79

10 Mar 2020

Multicore support option where is best way for active on? In plugin vst itself or in reason audio settings? Or both??

EnochLight

10 Mar 2020

Jowe79 wrote:
10 Mar 2020
Multicore support option where is best way for active on? In plugin vst itself or in reason audio settings? Or both??
Experiment. Generally Reason likes multi-core "on" in its own Preferences, but Hyper-threading is hit or miss (mostly miss :lol: ).. For your VST, I'd likely always leave them with multi-core on if they give you the option on a per-plugin basis.

You said you moved to the latest version of Reason 10, but you just now moved to Windows 10? What OS were you on before and with what version of Reason?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

guitfnky

10 Mar 2020

Loque wrote:
10 Mar 2020
The setting was pointless.
how so?

I’d agree that for most users, it’s probably not too useful, but if you’re running video or some other software simultaneously, and want to make sure those take priority, I could understand using that option.

used infrequently? sure. pointless? nah.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

TheDragonborg

10 Mar 2020

EnochLight wrote:
10 Mar 2020
Jowe79 wrote:
10 Mar 2020
Experiment. Generally Reason likes multi-core "on" in its own Preferences, but Hyper-threading is hit or miss (mostly miss :lol: ).. For your VST, I'd likely always leave them with multi-core on if they give you the option on a per-plugin basis.

You said you moved to the latest version of Reason 10, but you just now moved to Windows 10? What OS were you on before and with what version of Reason?
Hyper-threading is great for exporting audio though... a song takes like 30 seconds or less for me to render... I love it!

• Information