Reason Studios survey

This forum is for discussing Propellerhead's music software. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
User avatar
Faastwalker
Posts: 1624
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 10 Mar 2020

I received an email with a link to this last week. First question was 'what version of Reason do you use?', but it only went up to 10. Second of three main questions was, 'What's the main reason you have not upgraded to Reason 11?', or something along those lines. Completing the survey entered you into a prize draw to win the upgrade. So obviously only forwarded to Reason users who have not yet upgraded. Very odd! :-?

Steedus
Posts: 301
Joined: 31 Aug 2015

Post 10 Mar 2020

I got it too. Must've been sent to everyone who hadn't upgraded yet. I don't think it's that odd.. Just a bit of market research. I think I gave them some genuinely honest and hopefully constructive critical opinions of why I hadn't upgraded - the key one being that I'm a dedicated Reason user for the most part, and this upgrade seems to be targeting people who dip in and out.

The rumoured visual upgrade, if it's real would definitely interest me though.

User avatar
Jagwah
Posts: 1624
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 10 Mar 2020

Faastwalker wrote:
10 Mar 2020
Very odd! :-?
I enjoyed the chance to have a moan directly to Props about my Reason woes, but I figured they must have heard all this a thousand times before, so I found it a little odd too :)

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 3686
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 10 Mar 2020

Hahaha.
Why didn’t you upgrade to 11?
Because it’s crap.
Excellent. You just won a free upgrade. Congratulations.
丰2ॐ

User avatar
dvdrtldg
Posts: 1252
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 10 Mar 2020

My answer to "Why haven't you upgraded to 11?" would be "Because it seems OK but not essential to my current needs, and I've got other more pressing demands on my money right now" - which would make me the perfect candidate for a freebie. I like the look of BeatMap and that Sweeper thing. Checking my email now

User avatar
Boombastix
Posts: 1111
Joined: 18 May 2018
Location: Bay Area, CA

Post 10 Mar 2020

I was just harping the same old:
* VST midi out (Standalone + RRP)
* Freeze tracks

Those two and I'll upgrade, always those that makes it hard to finish tracks
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

User avatar
reddust
Posts: 653
Joined: 07 May 2018

Post 10 Mar 2020

I also said the update wasn't worth the money in my case and that I want VST midi out and MPE support

User avatar
Zac
Posts: 1594
Joined: 19 May 2016

Post 10 Mar 2020

I mentioned wanting VST MIDI Out as well :thumbs_up:
Glory Days - Synth/Electro Pop - 132bpm, Dm, 3 min : see viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7515755

User avatar
orthodox
Posts: 1017
Joined: 22 Jan 2015

Post 10 Mar 2020

I appreciate their move with that survey. Especially the lottery part.

I voted for better delay compensation, advanced sequencer blocks and 32-bit export/bounce.
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise. -- L.Carroll

User avatar
Oquasec
Posts: 2656
Joined: 05 Mar 2017

Post 10 Mar 2020

Gonna have to second that advanced sequencer blocks idea.
Because moving the blocks from 32 to 999 blocks would make more sense ya feel me?
Cubase/FLS/Reason user.

User avatar
orthodox
Posts: 1017
Joined: 22 Jan 2015

Post 10 Mar 2020

Oquasec wrote:
10 Mar 2020
Gonna have to second that advanced sequencer blocks idea.
Because moving the blocks from 32 to 999 blocks would make more sense ya feel me?
I'm talking about endowing Blocks with features that would allow them to compete with Ableton's Session View cells. That is, the ability to have multiple blocks active at the same time, and a block triggering device that could be midi-controlled live, even when the main (song) sequencer is stopped.
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise. -- L.Carroll

User avatar
Oquasec
Posts: 2656
Joined: 05 Mar 2017

Post 10 Mar 2020

The rack plugin and rewire is already here of course but Blocks definitely need to be looked at.
The workaround for exceeding that limit would be convert block to song clip
Last edited by Oquasec on 10 Mar 2020, edited 1 time in total.
Cubase/FLS/Reason user.

User avatar
pushedbutton
Posts: 1210
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Lancashire, UK

Post 10 Mar 2020

Is this mutating into another feature request thread? :lol:
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

User avatar
fieldframe
Posts: 737
Joined: 19 Apr 2016

Post 10 Mar 2020

pushedbutton wrote:
10 Mar 2020
Is this mutating into another feature request thread? :lol:
The Iron Law of Reason forums states that it is not only a possibility, but a certainty.
The Iron Law of Reason forums: All topics eventually turn into feature request threads; the only difference is how many posts it takes.

Welcome to TEST FIXTURE

User avatar
motuscott
Posts: 1752
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: the new york

Post 10 Mar 2020

Need Mor Everything
Vlad the thread stopper

User avatar
demt
Posts: 1016
Joined: 16 Sep 2016

Post 10 Mar 2020

everything started to go wrong so i got it full version 2
currently akai touch mpc. reasonsuite11, android kaosilater .behringer ddm4000 dj mixer
hear scince reason 2.5

kitekrazy
Posts: 790
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 11 Mar 2020

I was hoping for some kind of discount to put me over the edge like most developers do. Maybe I should have put that in the survey.

User avatar
TheGodOfRainbows
Posts: 480
Joined: 31 Mar 2015

Post 11 Mar 2020

orthodox wrote:
10 Mar 2020
I appreciate their move with that survey. Especially the lottery part.

I voted for better delay compensation, advanced sequencer blocks and 32-bit export/bounce.
Just curious, what do you mean by better delay compensation? In what way can it be made better?

User avatar
orthodox
Posts: 1017
Joined: 22 Jan 2015

Post 11 Mar 2020

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
11 Mar 2020
orthodox wrote:
10 Mar 2020
I appreciate their move with that survey. Especially the lottery part.

I voted for better delay compensation, advanced sequencer blocks and 32-bit export/bounce.
Just curious, what do you mean by better delay compensation? In what way can it be made better?
Currently, the delay compensation is done only at Mix Channels of the Main Mixer. If you have two signal paths with different latencies (e.g. if you split a signal and put a (reported) delay on one branch), you must end these paths at different Mix Channels in order for the delay compensation to work. You can't merge the paths with any merger or mixer device in the Rack (Line Mixer 6:2 or Audio Splitter/Merger), or the compensation will break. Allowing that would be an easy thing to implement, IMO.
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise. -- L.Carroll

User avatar
TheGodOfRainbows
Posts: 480
Joined: 31 Mar 2015

Post 11 Mar 2020

orthodox wrote:
11 Mar 2020
TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
11 Mar 2020


Just curious, what do you mean by better delay compensation? In what way can it be made better?
Currently, the delay compensation is done only at Mix Channels of the Main Mixer. If you have two signal paths with different latencies (e.g. if you split a signal and put a (reported) delay on one branch), you must end these paths at different Mix Channels in order for the delay compensation to work. You can't merge the paths with any merger or mixer device in the Rack (Line Mixer 6:2 or Audio Splitter/Merger), or the compensation will break. Allowing that would be an easy thing to implement, IMO.
I understand. You say it would be easy to implement, but to me it seems like it would get chaotic and more complex. But, I know absolutely nothing about coding. Still, is it so difficult to workaround? How often do you want to do splitting and stuff as you described?

User avatar
orthodox
Posts: 1017
Joined: 22 Jan 2015

Post 11 Mar 2020

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
11 Mar 2020
orthodox wrote:
11 Mar 2020


Currently, the delay compensation is done only at Mix Channels of the Main Mixer. If you have two signal paths with different latencies (e.g. if you split a signal and put a (reported) delay on one branch), you must end these paths at different Mix Channels in order for the delay compensation to work. You can't merge the paths with any merger or mixer device in the Rack (Line Mixer 6:2 or Audio Splitter/Merger), or the compensation will break. Allowing that would be an easy thing to implement, IMO.
I understand. You say it would be easy to implement, but to me it seems like it would get chaotic and more complex. But, I know absolutely nothing about coding. Still, is it so difficult to workaround? How often do you want to do splitting and stuff as you described?
I do it all the time. When I need to do parallel or dry/wet processing, say, in an insert FX box of a Mix Channel, I cannot do that currently with non-zero latency FX devices. I can't use an A/B crossfader with them. Whenever I use a latency device, I have to create a dedicated Mix Channel for that, which seems a bit excessive. And if I split it to different (parallel) Mix Channels, I lose the ability to crossfade things, I can only move around the individual channel faders.
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise. -- L.Carroll

User avatar
Faastwalker
Posts: 1624
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 11 Mar 2020

kitekrazy wrote:
11 Mar 2020
I was hoping for some kind of discount to put me over the edge like most developers do. Maybe I should have put that in the survey.
Same here. I think the upgrade has been on sale in the past but I may be wrong.

I suggested in the survey that I didn't think the upgrade was worth the price given that I had no use for Reason as a VST plug-in. It's just shy of $200 (AUS), so a fair amount for the other additions the upgrade to R11 offered. I'd imagine other Reason users, that have not upgraded to R11, would have similar ideas if they had no use for Reason as a plug-in.

User avatar
Neo
Posts: 85
Joined: 21 May 2015
Location: Melbourne Australia

Post 11 Mar 2020

Appreciate their move with that survey myself. Maybe is shows they are listening? Time will only tell hey. Bring on 12!
Aussie dollar.. gotta love that exchange rate as-well.
:reason: :re: :ignition: | :PUF_take:

kitekrazy
Posts: 790
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 12 Mar 2020

Faastwalker wrote:
11 Mar 2020
kitekrazy wrote:
11 Mar 2020
I was hoping for some kind of discount to put me over the edge like most developers do. Maybe I should have put that in the survey.
Same here. I think the upgrade has been on sale in the past but I may be wrong.

I suggested in the survey that I didn't think the upgrade was worth the price given that I had no use for Reason as a VST plug-in. It's just shy of $200 (AUS), so a fair amount for the other additions the upgrade to R11 offered. I'd imagine other Reason users, that have not upgraded to R11, would have similar ideas if they had no use for Reason as a plug-in.
There was a Black Friday sale when Reason 10 was out. I got it for $80.

User avatar
Faastwalker
Posts: 1624
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 12 Mar 2020

kitekrazy wrote:
12 Mar 2020
Faastwalker wrote:
11 Mar 2020

Same here. I think the upgrade has been on sale in the past but I may be wrong.

I suggested in the survey that I didn't think the upgrade was worth the price given that I had no use for Reason as a VST plug-in. It's just shy of $200 (AUS), so a fair amount for the other additions the upgrade to R11 offered. I'd imagine other Reason users, that have not upgraded to R11, would have similar ideas if they had no use for Reason as a plug-in.
There was a Black Friday sale when Reason 10 was out. I got it for $80.
A sale on the Reason 11 upgrade price would probably convince me to buy it. It's a positive gesture towards existing users as well. This would be a moot point if I used Reason alongside another DAW that could host it. I probably would have snapped up the R11 upgrade in a heartbeat in that case. But with Reason being my main DAW the upgrade value is severely diminished for me.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], guitfnky, jimimills, Kalm and 3 guests