Major bugs in AU-version

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Qha

24 Feb 2020

Hi people. I'm having major problems with Reason Rack 11.2 (and had the same problems with 11.1) in Logic X. They make Reason unusable for me so I'm creating this thread to make people aware.

I sent feedback to devs on December and was hopeful that the problem was fixed, because release notes say: "Fixed an issue where automating parameters in the AU version of Reason Rack Plugin did not work as expected". But no, the problems are there still and they haven't answered to my emails anymore.

The problems arise when you record midi keyboard performance. Logic pro treats damper, pitch bend and mod wheel data a bit differently than other automation. They're recorded as midi data on following parameters:
Ch. 1: Modulation
Ch. 1: Pitch Bend
etc.

Now if you playback your recorded midi region Reason reports different parameter changes back:
1 Reason Rack: Pitch bend
1 Reason Rack: Modulation
etc.

This causes 2 problems:
1) Every playback creates endless undo points that renders undo unusable in logic:
Screen Shot 2020-02-24 at 9.38.29.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-24 at 9.38.29.png (116.05 KiB) Viewed 1930 times
2) If you touch the data at all, Logic autoselects the wrong parameter, which makes editing impossible. This can be avoided by turning off "autoselect parameter", but it's essential for my workflow to keep it on at all times.
Screen Shot 2020-02-24 at 9.40.31.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-24 at 9.40.31.png (19.6 KiB) Viewed 1930 times
Weird that I can't find anyone reporting this problem. Can someone try these out? I'd really like to use Reason Rack, but can't currently because of these bugs.

Qha

24 Feb 2020

Maybe the reason most people don't have a problem is that they don't have these settings on:

- Undo history: include parameter changes from plugins
- Autoselect automation parameter in read mode

I do and find them super useful. Too bad Reason isn't compatible with these yet.

Qha

02 Mar 2020

Bump, is no-one who uses Logic really having any of these problems?

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

02 Mar 2020

Qha wrote:
02 Mar 2020
We're looking into this right now but we don't have a fix just yet. Sorry! Until we do have a fix, we recommend changing the settings you mentioned so this doesn't cause issues.

Qha

02 Mar 2020

MattiasHG wrote:
02 Mar 2020
Qha wrote:
02 Mar 2020
We're looking into this right now but we don't have a fix just yet. Sorry! Until we do have a fix, we recommend changing the settings you mentioned so this doesn't cause issues.
Lovely, thanks for the update!

geronimo

04 Mar 2020

And still impossible to mount the mono version of Reason Rack from MOTU Digital Performer 10, in AU (Audio Unit) format.

Alrek

04 Mar 2020

@MattiasHG can we have the AU rack plugin window to be resizable like in the VST version? The fixed window is way to small for bigger screens.

enossified

22 Mar 2020

The reason this is happening is because Reason Rack is reporting a number of standard controllers as automatable device parameters.

Try this:

1. Open an instrument track

2. Load the Reason Rack plugin, but leave it empty (no devices)

3. Open Smart Controls

You should see this:

Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 1.06.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 1.06.16 PM.png (607.6 KiB) Viewed 1147 times

If you move any of those six controllers, you will see the Smart Control knobs move. That is why the CC events show up in the plugin undo list.

What is the purpose of having those controllers also be device parameters? Other plugins do not do this.

jwd606

15 Apr 2020

If I drag a Redrum pattern from the Reason plug-in into Logic's sequencer pattern it works fine.

If I try to drag a DRex pattern in, it crashes Logic.

Can anyone offer any help? It's Logic 10.3, and the current trial version of Reason.

edit: it has worked. Loaded a different loop, then back to the original loop, and the midi file went across to the sequencer without crashing Logic.

• Information