Reason Beat Map

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Faastwalker

22 Feb 2020

ljekio wrote:
21 Feb 2020
Faastwalker wrote:
21 Feb 2020
Upgrading to R11 is now a much more enticing proposition 😉 Now it’s about BeatMap, the new MIDI out device (I guess this replaces the EMI?), the sequencer / editing additions. Is there anything else? Still no use for Reason as a VST. But I’ve been eyeing up Magix Acid again. Would be cool to make a Reason Rack to use in Acid if I do end up getting it.
I doubt what Acid have vst3 support.
Acid Pro 9 supports VST 2/3 and has a 32-bit bridge to run older plug-ins.

Acid doesn't get much love these days. But I've used it on and off for even longer than I've used Reason (since Reason 2).

https://www.magix.com/au/music/acid/aci ... /#c1045547

Heater

22 Feb 2020

Where do I find the Kong kits for beatmap mentioned in the video?

aeox
Competition Winner

22 Feb 2020

Heater wrote:
22 Feb 2020

Also in "Drum Supply" Under "-Kong Patches"

Heater

22 Feb 2020

aeox wrote:
22 Feb 2020
Heater wrote:
22 Feb 2020

Thank you

aeox
Competition Winner

22 Feb 2020

Heater wrote:
22 Feb 2020
aeox wrote:
22 Feb 2020

Thank you
Also under "Factory Sounds" there is a bunch of stuff too :thumbs_up:

buddard
RE Developer

22 Feb 2020

aeox wrote:
22 Feb 2020
Heater wrote:
22 Feb 2020

Thank you
And in the /Rack Extensions/Beat Map/-Drum Device Patches/ folder!

Heater

22 Feb 2020

Thanks folks for the list of Kong kits.

aeox
Competition Winner

22 Feb 2020

buddard wrote:
22 Feb 2020
aeox wrote:
22 Feb 2020

And in the /Rack Extensions/Beat Map/-Drum Device Patches/ folder!
Oh that's probably what he was actually looking for :D

Heater

22 Feb 2020

Also. Beat Map on one of the crazier settings > Kong > synchronous. Instant Autechre :lol:

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

23 Feb 2020

My first time trying out Beat Map. I kind of like it.

david1806

04 Apr 2020

Hi all...

Being an old bugger like I am, who has been playing electronic music since early 80s (shiiiiiit....!), I remember very well the ridiculous criticism that "all you had to do was press a knob and out comes your music" about electronic music. Of course, we all laughed at such a remark, because it was just total bollocks of course BUT.....

.....the software coming out now really is like that - push a few buttons and boom, there is your drum track, bass line, hook, harmonies - the whole shebang! And I don't quite know how I feel about it. All those years of laughing at people saying such nonsense, and now they could say that and they would be right! So now we are hearing the same generic beats and riffs because people with very little talent can actually produce a half-decent (with the emphasis on 'half') track. Is this a good thing? I really don't know. As a fellow producer, sure, I want people to create music, but I would rather it actually be created by themselves - not a piece of software...it feels like such a cop out to me. If I made a tune, and I knew that most of the tracks had been 80% created by the software - I would not feel any pride in that. I would KNOW that I had literally just pressed a few buttons, which a monkey can do.......so where is the satisfaction in that?

Am I just being an old duffer who needs to shut the f@@k up, or do I have a valid point? I await your replies with interest!!

David (old producer still in the game....!)
PS...you may see this message pop up elsewhere .......

PhillipOrdonez

04 Apr 2020

Monkeys can press all and any buttons, but it will never sound good, unless they had a really good taste?

I don't care. If it's good, is good. Half-decent tracks were produced and are being produced now and will continue to be produced for long as music is being produced.

Some people will make amazing music with it. Others will make junk. Others will make stuff that conceptually has a lot of value but their quality will be sub par. And the tool itself plays no role in the final outcome regardless of what it will be.

joeyluck

04 Apr 2020

david1806 wrote:
04 Apr 2020
Hi all...

Being an old bugger like I am, who has been playing electronic music since early 80s (shiiiiiit....!), I remember very well the ridiculous criticism that "all you had to do was press a knob and out comes your music" about electronic music. Of course, we all laughed at such a remark, because it was just total bollocks of course BUT.....

.....the software coming out now really is like that - push a few buttons and boom, there is your drum track, bass line, hook, harmonies - the whole shebang! And I don't quite know how I feel about it. All those years of laughing at people saying such nonsense, and now they could say that and they would be right! So now we are hearing the same generic beats and riffs because people with very little talent can actually produce a half-decent (with the emphasis on 'half') track. Is this a good thing? I really don't know. As a fellow producer, sure, I want people to create music, but I would rather it actually be created by themselves - not a piece of software...it feels like such a cop out to me. If I made a tune, and I knew that most of the tracks had been 80% created by the software - I would not feel any pride in that. I would KNOW that I had literally just pressed a few buttons, which a monkey can do.......so where is the satisfaction in that?

Am I just being an old duffer who needs to shut the f@@k up, or do I have a valid point? I await your replies with interest!!

David (old producer still in the game....!)
PS...you may see this message pop up elsewhere .......
So are you against things like arpeggiators popular in electronic music? Would you be upset if someone used an LFO to modulate a filter instead of recording themselves turning the knob the entire song?

Funny you mention "same generic beats and riffs" when so much electronic music in the early days sampled and used the same drum loops over and over again. And then so many people when writing, wrote the same four on the floor beats.

Beat Map is not a loop player. Users still choose their drum kits and individual drums sounds. And then each part can be independent of the other—you can pin drum parts to locations of the four different maps, creating unique drum beats.

You may be much less likely to create the same sounding drum beat as someone when using Beat Map than you are to create the same sound synth riff using an up/down arpeggio available on every synth.

Synths and keyboards for years have had accompaniment sections/"fingered mode", built-in drum patterns, arpeggiators, chord memory triggers, etc. Some people use them...some people don't...some people use them well...others don't. It's nothing new.

Maybe it helps looking at it that way? :)

david1806

05 Apr 2020

Bugger! I had a lovely, long boring reply but it disappeared when I tried to post it (maybe someone is trying to tell me something...!)

You are right PhillipOrdonez, if it sounds good, it sounds good. It's just from a personal standpoint, if I created a track that for the most part the software had pumped out the tune, I personally, however good it sounded, would not feel like I had achieved much, I wouldn't get much satisfaction form it. Maybe that is the old duffer talking, but maybe it's also because I am a musician. I can hear you now..."pffft, musician, shmoosician...and?" - and you would be right...LOL!

And yes of course joeyluck - sequencers, etc are the backbone of electronic music. And I have used Reasons Scales & Chords to create some great big riffs - though I do put my own touch to it. But joey, I think we are talking apples and oranges. The software I am referring to is the more recent that is coming out now - it really is push a button and boom - there's your track. And like I said before, and must stress, it is just a personal thing for me. As PhillipO said - if it's good , it's good. But for me the whole picture has to be right i.e. getting to the finished product by playing, programming, creating the sounds etc....not just literally having the software do it for me.

Anyway, I am honestly just putting it out there for some thoughts on it. I am absolutely not saying I am right and things should be done this or that way - just (as an old(ish) duffer...!) for me personally, having had years of "all you gotta do is push a button to make a tune" and having that really annoy me - it is, now, true.

As I said in the other post, I do hope that you are all well and safe in these crazy times....be safe all :)

MR.MODERATOR - feel free to delete the post that you locked :)

joeyluck

05 Apr 2020

david1806 wrote:
05 Apr 2020
Bugger! I had a lovely, long boring reply but it disappeared when I tried to post it (maybe someone is trying to tell me something...!)

You are right PhillipOrdonez, if it sounds good, it sounds good. It's just from a personal standpoint, if I created a track that for the most part the software had pumped out the tune, I personally, however good it sounded, would not feel like I had achieved much, I wouldn't get much satisfaction form it. Maybe that is the old duffer talking, but maybe it's also because I am a musician. I can hear you now..."pffft, musician, shmoosician...and?" - and you would be right...LOL!

And yes of course joeyluck - sequencers, etc are the backbone of electronic music. And I have used Reasons Scales & Chords to create some great big riffs - though I do put my own touch to it. But joey, I think we are talking apples and oranges. The software I am referring to is the more recent that is coming out now - it really is push a button and boom - there's your track. And like I said before, and must stress, it is just a personal thing for me. As PhillipO said - if it's good , it's good. But for me the whole picture has to be right i.e. getting to the finished product by playing, programming, creating the sounds etc....not just literally having the software do it for me.

Anyway, I am honestly just putting it out there for some thoughts on it. I am absolutely not saying I am right and things should be done this or that way - just (as an old(ish) duffer...!) for me personally, having had years of "all you gotta do is push a button to make a tune" and having that really annoy me - it is, now, true.
Are you still talking about Beat Map? If you check out comments here and other threads, you'll see some people saying they couldn't get what they wanted out if it, some that did and enjoy working with it, but nobody saying they pushed a button and they were done. Beat Map is a tool for exploring and tweaking and for finding new ideas. And even after you've tweaked things, you may find yourself sending it to track and then making some additional edits there. And that's just the drums of a song.

Is there other software you are referring to? Maybe as a challenge for yourself, you could write a song using nothing but the tools that you consider to be "push a button to make a tune." Then maybe decide how you feel about it based on your experience. Maybe you'll have some satisfaction when you figure the work you put in and the writing you still did. Maybe not.

The musician vs. computer argument can only go but so far when you quantize, copy and paste, transpose, move a note, adjust velocity, use a rhythmic gate, use an arpeggiator, use an LFO, and the list goes on. We're all using computers and the tools nowadays aren't too much different than what we had before, they're just different. I had arpeggiators, and chord memory, auto accompaniment, and rhythm based effects when I was a kid. I remember when people told me using a vocoder was cheating. There's more technique involved with that than those people understand. Same can be said with any number of these tools.

That's how I see it.

PhillipOrdonez

05 Apr 2020

David, what I meant to say, is that it requires skill to make it sound good. Not anyone can press a button and it will be a good song. Anyone saying electronic music is easy to make has never tried to make electronic music.

Sure you can use tools that will help you compose something with the press of a button and a newbie will think it is good. But it isn't good. It will never be good. Not without skill, taste and experience behind it.

david1806

05 Apr 2020

All very interesting and very valid points - thanks!

The things you mention in your last paragraph joey I agree with, but I think I said before, that kind of thing isn't really what I mean, because as you say, they do take skill.
I guess the best thing, as suggested, is to give you some examples.....I can't think of any off the top of my head, as I don't use them, just seen the demos. When my FB advert is a piece of music software, it is quite often the sort of thing I am waffling on about.

I'll take a look........

zoidkirb

05 Apr 2020

That's the problem with advertising. If you believe the ads, every new software that comes out is the best, easiest, most powerful, original and unique invention ever. Once you take the wrapping off though, you find in your hands just another tool to possibly get a job done with.

demt

06 Apr 2020

as another grandad id just like to say the push button examples give an idea of witch cource to set sail to allso its going to take a lot of buttons to get close to my style makes it allmost as difficult as learning an instrument, gulp the amount of time needed soon leads me back to the basics and yes theres not a guitar emulater out there that comes close to the real thing, erm yup if you want to sound different quite skillful guitar work will help you out,
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

Yonatan

06 Apr 2020

There has been so many ways already to create boring beats with loops and midi for many years. Beat Map should be a blessing as it is as simple as Dr Octorex but brings another angle. Use any sounds and try Beat Map on it.
With a sense of sound and music, you can make it work for you. And producers with less sense of flow, it will work less good.
I find it takes quite a bit of tweaking to make Beat Map work, depending on what sounds you use. Still, if you are patient enough, it will sooner or later bring a beat that can be used as ground.
If you already know what will work on your track, you might as well play the midi manually.

Where Beat Map shines most is the instant fun in having a groovy beat at the spot, for jamming, composing, using in live situation, experiment etc. It is a great starting point. And it can bring something that you would not have done yourself. EzDrums has its midi libraries but it is more genre classified and great if know what you look for. But Beat Map is more intuitive and brings in a flavour of surprice.

selig
RE Developer

06 Apr 2020

david1806 wrote:
05 Apr 2020
All very interesting and very valid points - thanks!

The things you mention in your last paragraph joey I agree with, but I think I said before, that kind of thing isn't really what I mean, because as you say, they do take skill.
I guess the best thing, as suggested, is to give you some examples.....I can't think of any off the top of my head, as I don't use them, just seen the demos. When my FB advert is a piece of music software, it is quite often the sort of thing I am waffling on about.

I'll take a look........
If stuff like this is currently bothering you in any way, be prepared to have your head exploded in a few years…

It won't be long before AI "composers" create entire songs with the user specifying only things like composer style/emotion, genre/composer, tempo, key, length etc. But at that point you wouldn't even necessarily need to specify anything at all, just roll the dice and a song will come out. It will be more like a current song library search engine, where you specify your desired mood and are directed to the songs that fit those "tags".

I see film directors using this type of technology initially, to get instant scores that fit the length, emotion, and chosen style of the film. For example, let's say you need a 30 second hero's theme in the style of John Williams - bam, you got it. Don't like something about it? Change a few settings and try again.

Sure, it will sound clunky and contrived at first, sort of like a "first year" film composer (!). But assuming humans are still around in 50-100 years, it will eventually get refined and improved. Just like when DJs came on the scene and live bands were hired less (or when cars replaced horses), you'll have to adapt. Or choose a different career - or be a hold out because eventually "real" composer WILL come back in fashion.
Just like gas, and then electric lighting replaces candles and lanterns, which then became "passé" - but then came back as "fancy/designer" items after a time, live musicians can survive the DJs, tape playback, samplers, arpeggiators, note generators, and even AI. Some folks will always prefer riding horses, candlelight dinners, and some will always prefer live music/musicians. Change is inevitable, at least in this universe…
Selig Audio, LLC

Faastwalker

10 Apr 2020

selig wrote:
06 Apr 2020
If stuff like this is currently bothering you in any way, be prepared to have your head exploded in a few years… It won't be long before AI "composers" create entire songs with the user specifying only things like composer style/emotion, genre/composer, tempo, key, length etc. But at that point you wouldn't even necessarily need to specify anything at all, just roll the dice and a song will come out. It will be more like a current song library search engine, where you specify your desired mood and are directed to the songs that fit those "tags".
Had to dig out this image I had from 2003 :D

soroc sosta

07 Dec 2020

Hello All!

Just noticed the XY coordinates below the map image.

Is there anyway to:
- copy, save, and paste in 'map coordinates' without writing it down?
- type in 'coordinates' somehow, if one has to write the coordinates down?

It appears the smallest increment of XY controls is 0.17, and the mouse movement is very sensitive.
Would be nice to know if there's a way to dial it in.

TAZ

• Information