REASON vs other DAWS

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Frankdw

21 Feb 2020

Dear Reason , I love the software, I really do. But I'm really frustrated that it REASON remains a sort of 'non Pro' software, even if the software is really good. I bought a ROLLI, not compatible. I bought a ARTURIA keyboard with mappings for the synths: Not Compatible. I buy VST's from Soundtoys etc. and delays are very much apparent. I want to but don't dare to buy other hardware boys that are really very new in creating music, reason doesn't support MPE ... Want to buy the ROLAND Hardware but nope, no reason support. There's a few more really cool hardware tools that I forgotten the name as I write, but again, NO support for Reason. Even if I check for 'Compatibility' in general on websites of top VST's. It names all the typical DAWS, most of times reason isn't mentioned, so again 'looking' the web, or taking risk in buying hardware and hoping that it works for reason. You really have to have a focus on this my dear Reason people, it is really getting annoying and very on-pro. I've been making music for 30 years now, and used the main daws; Logic, Cubase, a bit of Ableton and it always brings me back to reason... please, get these things in ORDER before adding more whistles and bells... I can imagine that creating the perfect Daw isn't simple, but again, you're doing great as I'm not a complaining on what 'I' specifically want. I do complain about the lack in support in general of third party tools and hardware, which I'm sure is a general very high on the list complaint. Please, PRETTY PLEASE, With a cherry on top, get your software support up to the level of the other big ones.
Thank you,
Frank De Wulf

Electric-Metal

21 Feb 2020

Frankdw wrote:
21 Feb 2020
Dear Reason , I love the software, I really do. But I'm really frustrated that it REASON remains a sort of 'non Pro' software, even if the software is really good. I bought a ROLLI, not compatible. I bought a ARTURIA keyboard with mappings for the synths: Not Compatible. I buy VST's from Soundtoys etc. and delays are very much apparent. I want to but don't dare to buy other hardware boys that are really very new in creating music, reason doesn't support MPE ... Want to buy the ROLAND Hardware but nope, no reason support. There's a few more really cool hardware tools that I forgotten the name as I write, but again, NO support for Reason. Even if I check for 'Compatibility' in general on websites of top VST's. It names all the typical DAWS, most of times reason isn't mentioned, so again 'looking' the web, or taking risk in buying hardware and hoping that it works for reason. You really have to have a focus on this my dear Reason people, it is really getting annoying and very on-pro. I've been making music for 30 years now, and used the main daws; Logic, Cubase, a bit of Ableton and it always brings me back to reason... please, get these things in ORDER before adding more whistles and bells... I can imagine that creating the perfect Daw isn't simple, but again, you're doing great as I'm not a complaining on what 'I' specifically want. I do complain about the lack in support in general of third party tools and hardware, which I'm sure is a general very high on the list complaint. Please, PRETTY PLEASE, With a cherry on top, get your software support up to the level of the other big ones.
Thank you,
Frank De Wulf
I can't speak about hardware. But a vast majority of VSTs runs in Reason just as expected. If you don't see Reason listed on the vendor's sites, it's because they haven't updated their compatibility lists.
:?: The question is - Who cares :?:

Frankdw

21 Feb 2020

Fair enough about the VST’s. I do have some issues with them in reason which don’t apply to other Dawn’s but even so: the hardware issue is a real issue. Like: A REAL issue....

Soulshopmedia

21 Feb 2020

i run a ton of hardware with reason with no problem. i'm not sure what kind of compatibility issue you speak of outside of the roli keyboard which most daws just recently updated because they had compatibility issues as well
make music and stop being spoiled. :re: :reason: :record: :refill: :recycle: :rebirth: :PUF_balance: :reload: :PUF_figure: :essentials:

reddust

21 Feb 2020

I guess it's about more than just basic compatibility when it comes to hardware.

I don't have any issues connecting my ROLI Seaboard or my Native Instrument hardware devices with Reason but their compatibility is just basic, I can't make use of MPE with my Seaboard, which is actually what makes a Seaboard interesting, otherwise isn't really of any advantage using a Seaboard than using a regular keyboard.

Also with Native Instruments there is no problem using the hardware as a basic midi controller but you miss most if not all of the NKS features, like being able to mix tracks directly on your hardware or to control the play, stop and record buttons or tab tempo without having to do a lot of tweaking before. Some of these functions aren't even possible with tweaking on Reason while other DAWs are NKS compatible and let users control a lot of the DAW features directly on your Native Instrument hardware device.

Jackjackdaw

21 Feb 2020

I don't think RS are going to shake the ' Reason is a toy' perception when the flagship new device looks like a Nintendo and makes auto beats for you as you explore a virtual terrain! I also get the frustration of shopping for a new midi controller and seeing all of them have maps for everything but Reason. I also see a lot of folks going bonkers about all the stuff Reason needs to be able to do that it can't. It's frustrating because on the other hand, Reason's playfulness makes a lot of elements of music making very intuative and fun. That's the trade off really, if you need those pro functions you need to bite the bullet and adapt to a more business like DAW to get them. I don't think RS is about to start targeting the pro audio market.

aeox
Competition Winner

21 Feb 2020

Jackjackdaw wrote:
21 Feb 2020
I don't think RS is about to start targeting the pro audio market.
:thumbs_up:

Pretty much sums up my thoughts. Not a bad thing IMO

Kalm

21 Feb 2020

aeox wrote:
21 Feb 2020
Jackjackdaw wrote:
21 Feb 2020
I don't think RS is about to start targeting the pro audio market.
:thumbs_up:

Pretty much sums up my thoughts. Not a bad thing IMO
Me as well, but I would like them to keep up with the most popular products. For example, The ROLI could be a gambebreaker for many people in Reasonwho do orchestral work. Komplete Kontrol is huge as well (I have an S49 MK2 and love using it). S1 just added typical mapping controls but even that is useful. Honestly I just want to control combinators and the transport section seamlessly on it . . . maybe move some faders but that's it. I think they can achieve that but at the same time weighing on popularity requests vs core requests. I'm pretty sure they've recognized the MIDI compatibility list is outdated but S1 updates slow as well in that arena. Maybe its cause I don't do a lot of mapping presets, just map things when I want to automate at that time. I think if it's stressed which items should be added in the MIDI list they'll give more attention to it. But how many people are screaming integration.

I think if we want to see certain updates, there should be a collective agreement among users which is the most important but right now, everyone wants everything. If I was RS, I would take my time too at this point :lol:
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

Proboscis

21 Feb 2020

Frankdw wrote:
21 Feb 2020
Dear Reason , I love the software, I really do. But I'm really frustrated that it REASON remains a sort of 'non Pro' software, even if the software is really good.
Well, since the latest version of Reason can also be used as VST in most any other DAW, you can stick with your favorite software, and all the hardware compatibility, plus the superior sequencer, and still have most of the benefits of Reason that make it unique, namely the back of rack wiring. The downside of course is that if you're on version 10 or below, it will cost you $129 to make this happen.

gullum

21 Feb 2020

what is Pro?
Someone who makes money from what they do
A pro soccer player uses the same clothes as an armature, so it's not the clothes that make them pro same with software Pro tools is not a pro software more than Reason is. I could make money using Reason when someone using a (pro) different software does not.

Jackjackdaw

21 Feb 2020

gullum wrote:
21 Feb 2020
what is Pro?
Someone who makes money from what they do
A pro soccer player uses the same clothes as an armature, so it's not the clothes that make them pro same with software Pro tools is not a pro software more than Reason is. I could make money using Reason when someone using a (pro) different software does not.
Semantics mate, get over it.

jlgrimes

21 Feb 2020

Frankdw wrote:
21 Feb 2020
Thank you,
Frank De Wulf
I don't think it necessarily mean its Non Pro.

Ableton have some of these same limitations namely the no MPE support, so you would be in the same boat if you went and bought Ableton there.

Also there are inexpensive DAWs such as Reaper, Cakewalk, and Tracktion to look into that might support some of Reason's shortcomings. Reaper does support MPE btw and is only $60 and has an extremely "generous" demo period.

MusicRadar list Reason as one of the top 10 most popular DAWS beating out Bitwig, Pro Tools, and Cakewalk I believe.

I agree though that Reason has many shortcomings but I wouldn't call it non professional (or any DAW for that matter). You can always take any DAW no matter how "bad" it is and find someone doing some amazing industry level work with it.

And on the flip side every "great" DAW has some shortcomings some users will poke their fingers at.

FL Studios have a chaotic GUI (some people feel).
Ableton lacks a "Pro" level Piano Roll
Reason has too little features
Reaper has too many features
Logic has an "unlogical" workflow
Cubase has too many pop up menus
Studio One doesn't have good included instruments.

Busta US

21 Feb 2020

Frankdw wrote:
21 Feb 2020
Thank you,
Frank De Wulf
As much as I totally relate with your post, I must say you are unfortunately writing in the wrong forum. You have many members here that can die for Reason (literally) any “criticism” or “complain” they will tell you to use something else.

What I suggest you do:

1. Write directly to Reason. They have a Feature Request Section on their ReasonStudios.com website - Look for”contact” section and copy paste your post.

2. Send this post ad a Dm on Facebook

3. Dm the product manager, Mathias in this forum (probably the only one that can help you here). He sais he visits the forum regularly.

4. Keep sending the same message over and over until you get a response, while still being friendly and diplomatic

The good news:

The Product manager did say, yesterday by the way, that there will be a pleasant surprise for DAW users, and that they are working hard to first finish the plugin and then work on the DAW.

DO SEND YOUR MESSAGE EITHER WAY, Dont give up. And I relate with what you say so much. And probably others here. But we keep getting shut by butthurts ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ShelLuser

21 Feb 2020

Frankdw wrote:
21 Feb 2020
Dear Reason , I love the software, I really do. But I'm really frustrated that it REASON remains a sort of 'non Pro' software, even if the software is really good. I bought a ROLLI, not compatible. I bought a ARTURIA keyboard with mappings for the synths: Not Compatible. I buy VST's from Soundtoys etc. and delays are very much apparent.
What exactly do you mean with "compatible", what's your goal?

See, last year I bought a Push and Maschine controller. They're not supported by Reason in the sense that they're not recognized as a remote keyboard or control surface. But they are recognized for their MIDI input. I can turn on Push, load up Reason and start playing Reason using the pads on Push "just like that".

And well, if you want to talk professional... I can start the Maschine software and I'll be greeted with the exact same experience. Maschine does not recognize Push, but it will accept its MIDI input.

I really don't see the problem with this. IMO it's up to the hardware manufacturer to make sure that their hardware supports general standards for usage in general DAW's or to provide drivers. For example: the Maschine MkIII controller is also not compatible with Live out of the box (other than it being recognized as a MIDI input). Thus N.I. provided drivers. Seems easy enough.

Why "blame" Reason for something the hardware developers decided on?
Frankdw wrote:
21 Feb 2020
Want to buy the ROLAND Hardware but nope, no reason support. There's a few more really cool hardware tools that I forgotten the name as I write, but again, NO support for Reason.
Just because it's not officially supported doesn't mean you can't make it work for you. Just like I'm often using Push with Reason; it's not supported but it does provide a solid MIDI interface.

But yah, it's not up to Reason to support a kazzillion pieces of hardware, the hardware manufacturers should take note of Reason.
--- :reason:

sdst
Competition Winner

21 Feb 2020

Frankdw wrote:
21 Feb 2020
I bought . I bought I buy . Want to buy
make music and stop buying things. :lol:

Frankdw

21 Feb 2020

jlgrimes wrote:
21 Feb 2020
Frankdw wrote:
21 Feb 2020
Thank you,
Frank De Wulf
I don't think it necessarily mean its Non Pro.

Ableton have some of these same limitations namely the no MPE support, so you would be in the same boat if you went and bought Ableton there.

Also there are inexpensive DAWs such as Reaper, Cakewalk, and Tracktion to look into that might support some of Reason's shortcomings. Reaper does support MPE btw and is only $60 and has an extremely "generous" demo period.

MusicRadar list Reason as one of the top 10 most popular DAWS beating out Bitwig, Pro Tools, and Cakewalk I believe.

I agree though that Reason has many shortcomings but I wouldn't call it non professional (or any DAW for that matter). You can always take any DAW no matter how "bad" it is and find someone doing some amazing industry level work with it.

And on the flip side every "great" DAW has some shortcomings some users will poke their fingers at.

FL Studios have a chaotic GUI (some people feel).
Ableton lacks a "Pro" level Piano Roll
Reason has too little features
Reaper has too many features
Logic has an "unlogical" workflow
Cubase has too many pop up menus
Studio One doesn't have good included instruments.

Ok, you'e right. In my defence: I don't call reason the software Non-pro, I think leaving such great hardware toys un-compatible with reason is so 'un reason' like as they are the ones who rightfully claim 'making music without going to techy'... anyway... I'll go further in my studio making music instead of making to much noise overhere... ;)

Frankdw

21 Feb 2020

sdst wrote:
21 Feb 2020
Frankdw wrote:
21 Feb 2020
I bought . I bought I buy . Want to buy
make music and stop buying things. :lol:
As long as paypall loves me, I'll play along. :-)

Frankdw

21 Feb 2020

Busta US wrote:
21 Feb 2020
Frankdw wrote:
21 Feb 2020
Thank you,
Frank De Wulf
As much as I totally relate with your post, I must say you are unfortunately writing in the wrong forum. You have many members here that can die for Reason (literally) any “criticism” or “complain” they will tell you to use something else.

What I suggest you do:

1. Write directly to Reason. They have a Feature Request Section on their ReasonStudios.com website - Look for”contact” section and copy paste your post.

2. Send this post ad a Dm on Facebook

3. Dm the product manager, Mathias in this forum (probably the only one that can help you here). He sais he visits the forum regularly.

4. Keep sending the same message over and over until you get a response, while still being friendly and diplomatic

The good news:

The Product manager did say, yesterday by the way, that there will be a pleasant surprise for DAW users, and that they are working hard to first finish the plugin and then work on the DAW.

DO SEND YOUR MESSAGE EITHER WAY, Dont give up. And I relate with what you say so much. And probably others here. But we keep getting shut by butthurts ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I did send this message to the reason board... someday well get there, i'm sure :-))

Loque

21 Feb 2020

Why "vs"? Better just "with" ;-)
Reason12, Win10

DJMaytag

21 Feb 2020

Frankdw wrote:
21 Feb 2020
Frank De Wulf
Did you happen to remix Human Resource’s Dominator a long time ago?

kitekrazy

21 Feb 2020

I see similar content on other DAW forums. It's not unusual for people to use more than one DAW and it's seems RS is marketing that way with their shiny new VST.

Frankdw

22 Feb 2020

DJMaytag wrote:
21 Feb 2020
Frankdw wrote:
21 Feb 2020
Frank De Wulf
Did you happen to remix Human Resource’s Dominator a long time ago?
Yes.... ;)

Frankdw

22 Feb 2020

Loque wrote:
21 Feb 2020
Why "vs"? Better just "with" ;-)
'VS' is kinds negative, I agree.... but 'with' makes my setup to complicated for what I want to do... so let's make that 'REASON and Other DAWS' ;)

Frankdw

22 Feb 2020

Jackjackdaw wrote:
21 Feb 2020
I don't think RS are going to shake the ' Reason is a toy' perception when the flagship new device looks like a Nintendo and makes auto beats for you as you explore a virtual terrain! I also get the frustration of shopping for a new midi controller and seeing all of them have maps for everything but Reason. I also see a lot of folks going bonkers about all the stuff Reason needs to be able to do that it can't. It's frustrating because on the other hand, Reason's playfulness makes a lot of elements of music making very intuative and fun. That's the trade off really, if you need those pro functions you need to bite the bullet and adapt to a more business like DAW to get them. I don't think RS is about to start targeting the pro audio market.
I actually think they are equal and more to the 'other DAWS, and that is offcourse subjectieve and in my own experience... They are as pro as the others, its just that as you say Reasons playfullness is axactly what I love about it and those hardware tools are really all about that playfullness... Rolli, Touché etc... So my opinion is that REASON should be jumping on those tools to enhance what they state as what is the core of reason.
Now, I've read that some other DAWS have issues to with those particular hardware tools, so I'm taking a bit back of my (frustratie) comment to be honest, more hopefull that maybe with the whole MIDI 2.0 things get solved?
Regarding my approach, I don't have the deep tech skills as many on this board, but I do have a good understanding of ... that being said, It would be great if some REASON High end user (maybe on this forum) is willing to help me get some of my issues solved, even by using Teamviewer on remote or ..... I would pay offcourse for the service... Sadly I don't know any REASON users in my close community (close by my home that is) 'yet'...

Cheers
Frank

craven

22 Feb 2020

Hey Frank, you are absolutely right that Reason should support more input devices / controllers. I was eyeing the ARTURIA keyboard as well a while ago but read that it's not that well integrated with Reason.

I love Reason for its playfulness and how it evokes creativity, never had that 'click' with other Daws. I don't care if some perceive it as subpar or a toy, however, if it is not compatible with other creative tools, then it's an issue.

I hope you'll find a solution. Cheers!
:ugeek:

• Information