Reason 11.2 and Logic Pro X

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
JLP

20 Feb 2020

Does anyone know how to route midi in Logic using Reason 11.2 so that I can record the actual notes produced by Chords and Scales on a midi track? In the on-line tutorial it's demonstrated with Ableton Live where you can actually select midi inputs on each track.

Thanks,

Joe

hurricane
Competition Winner

20 Feb 2020

Use midi fx freeze. It's a free download: http://www.audiocr.com

And here's a video on how to use it:

Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

JLP

20 Feb 2020

Thanks Hurricane I appreciate your quick response. I've already been using MidiFX Freeze for the Logic Chord trigger. I was hoping that 11.2 Scales and Chords would eliminate the need for it. Seems the 11.2 Midi In/out device is not as functional in Logic X as it is in other DAWS. I wish they'd publish more info on how it integrates with Logic X. The only thing I could find short clip on a controller assignment that wasn't very helpful.
If you have any tips on automation of reason rack plugins, I'd appreciate it.

hurricane
Competition Winner

20 Feb 2020

JLP wrote:
20 Feb 2020
Thanks Hurricane I appreciate your quick response. I've already been using MidiFX Freeze for the Logic Chord trigger. I was hoping that 11.2 Scales and Chords would eliminate the need for it. Seems the 11.2 Midi In/out device is not as functional in Logic X as it is in other DAWS. I wish they'd publish more info on how it integrates with Logic X. The only thing I could find short clip on a controller assignment that wasn't very helpful.
Unless I am missing something, Reason as a midi effect is just like any other midi effect in Logic, so you'll still need something (like midifx freeze) to record midi output onto a logic track.

Same deal with automating rack devices. Now, I don't know how much you know Logic, so forgive me if some of this is basic knowledge, but automating a rack instrument or effect is exactly the same as automating any other 3rd party device. A few basic ways of doing so are to:

1. Map a plugin parameter to a smart control and use the smart control while recording to record changes. This is somewhat like mapping combinator knobs.
2. Use the "touch" functionality in the channel strip and record your movements on the actual device while you record.
3. Use Logic's automation view to select an automation parameter, and then use the mouse to draw curves.
logicrr-auto.jpg
logicrr-auto.jpg (272.57 KiB) Viewed 4907 times
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

JLP

21 Feb 2020

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

What I meant was how can I route midi from one channel to another in Logic as they do in Ableton in the following videos:

There must be a way to do the same in Logic.

Thanks for the automation guidance. Works perfectly!

dpcoffin

21 Feb 2020

If I recall correctly, using Logic features only, you have to use an IAC Driver loop and their External Instrument device to record MIDI from one track to another. REALLY wish they'd bring Logic into the 21th century MIDI--wise!

Nielsen

21 Feb 2020

I'm here to ask the same question. I have spent an hour in Logic this afternoon trying to figure this out, but the examples from Ableton and Cubase do not seem to translate smoothly into Logic. I also suspect there must be a simple way. After all, this new MIDI out interface is being communicated as a new functionality for use in any DAW.

hurricane
Competition Winner

21 Feb 2020

I have a feeling you might have to mess around in Logic's environment to do it exactly how Live does it. I prefer to stay out of the environment, so this alternate method might work for you instead:

You guys are aware that you can trigger multiple midi tracks simultaneously by putting them in a summing folder right?

1. You need to set up your first instrument with any instrument, a reason rack midi fx and the player setup of your choice. Then create the other tracks you want to trigger.
2. You need to copy drag the green midi fx to the other tracks. Pan things if you want.
3. Highlight all the tracks and create a 'track stack', and you'll be creating a "summing" stack in the next dialog box.
4. Highlight the Sum 1 track and start recording and you'll notice the other instruments being triggered.
5. You can leave everything as is or flatten the stack - flattening gives you what you see in 5; the main recording and its two aliases, so any changes you make to the first will be applied to the rest.

If instead you want the MIDI output recorded to the track, you'd have to use something like midifx freeze.

multimidi.jpg
multimidi.jpg (139.72 KiB) Viewed 4747 times
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Alrek

21 Feb 2020

Thank you hurricane for this amazing tipp!

I have a similar question that I can't find any solution for:

Is it possible, to have one single MidiFX plugin to trigger multiple instruments?
Unfortunately you can't put a MidiFX on a track stack sum channel to trigger all the other included instruments.

My idea is to have a single Reason player (Drum Sequencer) as a centralized MidiFX plugin which triggers several other instruments (Reason Rack plugin with Cong, AU-Instrument for the kick, EXS24 for percussion elements etc.).

With a first glimpse in Logic's Midi environment I was not able to find the place to manipulate or route MidiFX plugins.

hurricane
Competition Winner

21 Feb 2020

Alrek wrote:
21 Feb 2020
Is it possible, to have one single MidiFX plugin to trigger multiple instruments?
Unfortunately you can't put a MidiFX on a track stack sum channel to trigger all the other included instruments.
Correct. I can't see a straightforward way to do this, and I think you would have to configure this in the environment. Maybe somebody else knows how.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Theo.M

21 Feb 2020

JLP wrote:
20 Feb 2020
That's logic's fault, by not allowing simple midi input choice on each track (EVERY other daw has this).. One of the reasons I left it. I am sure you can get around it with a complicated environment setup but I had had it with all that.

hurricane
Competition Winner

21 Feb 2020

It's not that big a deal. In my opinion the Reason Rack plus Logic is a near perfect combination.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Theo.M

22 Feb 2020

hurricane wrote:
21 Feb 2020
It's not that big a deal. In my opinion the Reason Rack plus Logic is a near perfect combination.
good to know and sorry I couldn't help but it really is a logic issue.. people have been screaming for midi input selection per track for about 20 years :lol:
It's really weird apple refuse to do it.

Yonatan

22 Feb 2020

Kind of expected LPX to have a proper midi input. Wish I could use Logics instruments and effects inside Reason rather than the other way around.

Theo.M

22 Feb 2020

Yonatan wrote:
22 Feb 2020
Kind of expected LPX to have a proper midi input. Wish I could use Logics instruments and effects inside Reason rather than the other way around.
The way to do that is with mainstage. I use alchemy that way in pro tools. Sorry to go OT but it might be helpful to you.

Yonatan

22 Feb 2020

Theo.M wrote:
22 Feb 2020
Yonatan wrote:
22 Feb 2020
The way to do that is with mainstage. I use alchemy that way in pro tools. Sorry to go OT but it might be helpful to you.
Oh, never thought of that. I do have Mainstage, so it can be used as a plugin, I must check that out. Thanks!

hurricane
Competition Winner

22 Feb 2020

Yonatan wrote:
22 Feb 2020
Theo.M wrote:
22 Feb 2020

Oh, never thought of that. I do have Mainstage, so it can be used as a plugin, I must check that out. Thanks!
The only thing is Mainstage is NOT a plugin, and you'll have to use a workaround to get the sound into Reason or any other DAW. But it can be done.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

hurricane
Competition Winner

22 Feb 2020

Oh, which reminds me - you can use the Reason Rack inside MainStage now. MainStage + Reason Rack = a super-powered live performance rig.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

dpcoffin

22 Feb 2020

Alrek wrote:
21 Feb 2020
You can do this easily in pluginguru's new device Unify. It doesn't yet offer access to Mainstage, since that apparently requires using the Mac's IAC Driver, but it's in a very active update state right now, very responsive to new feature requests. I just asked about IAC/external-intrument-type access in this kvr thread, to which the dev responds frequently—and I just noticed he's already responded; things are moving fast these days:)

dpcoffin

22 Feb 2020

hurricane wrote:
22 Feb 2020
The only thing is Mainstage is NOT a plugin, and you'll have to use a workaround to get the sound into Reason or any other DAW. But it can be done.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... s+a+plugin

Theo.M

22 Feb 2020

Yonatan wrote:
22 Feb 2020
Theo.M wrote:
22 Feb 2020

No but it accepts midi in.

It's a standalone. Set your buffer to 64, and the latency is no worse than any hardware synth.

WaxTrax

01 Nov 2021

Does anyone know if the following scenario is currently possible with the latest version of Reason (12.2) and Logic Pro (10.7):

In Logic, two separate virtual instrument tracks, each with their own individual AU virtual instrument loaded, and each track with a separate instance of the RRP as MIDI FX with a player device generating MIDI notes.

The goal is to have completely isolated tracks where the RRP instance in one track generates MIDI notes for the AU instrument assigned to that track, and the other RRP instance in the other track generating MIDI notes for the AU assigned to that track. 100% analogous to doing this natively within Reason having one Player control one instrument, and another Player controlling another instrument.

I have tried a bunch of different things and read tons of different threads but I can't get this to work. I am fairly new to Logic so there is definitely the chance that I'm just doing this wrong. After spending over an hour trying to get this to work and searching the Internet for an answer, I thought I would ask here before deciding it's not possible right now.

Thank you!

huggermugger

01 Nov 2021

WaxTrax wrote:
01 Nov 2021
Does anyone know if the following scenario is currently possible with the latest version of Reason (12.2) and Logic Pro (10.7):

In Logic, two separate virtual instrument tracks, each with their own individual AU virtual instrument loaded, and each track with a separate instance of the RRP as MIDI FX with a player device generating MIDI notes.

The goal is to have completely isolated tracks where the RRP instance in one track generates MIDI notes for the AU instrument assigned to that track, and the other RRP instance in the other track generating MIDI notes for the AU assigned to that track. 100% analogous to doing this natively within Reason having one Player control one instrument, and another Player controlling another instrument.
Isn't it just a matter of doing this?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-11-01 at 9.27.37 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-11-01 at 9.27.37 AM.jpg (559.67 KiB) Viewed 2616 times

WaxTrax

01 Nov 2021

I tried recreating your screenshot and what happens is that both players send their notes to the second track (Retro Synth), even if I try messing around with the MIDI channels. If this works for you, then I must be doing something wrong.

huggermugger

01 Nov 2021

WaxTrax wrote:
01 Nov 2021
I tried recreating your screenshot and what happens is that both players send their notes to the second track (Retro Synth), even if I try messing around with the MIDI channels. If this works for you, then I must be doing something wrong.
Mine definitely works as expected, each Player/Instrument is independent. But I'm in R11 and also Logic 10.4. Maybe an R12 bug? It's full of 'em!

• Information