Reason 11.2 is here!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Zac

20 Feb 2020

Zac wrote:
20 Feb 2020
A quick question; does the new midi out device in standalone allow the midi out from sequencing VSTs to be utilised now without going outside of the Reason DAW?
^^I'm really curious if this update gives us VST midi out somehow in the Reason DAW. Please answer me someone :?:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

20 Feb 2020

DS_Joost wrote:
20 Feb 2020
Look okay just to be really honest here the constant whining about the demise of Reason and the fact that REASON STUDIOS ARE THE LITERAL DEVIL AND THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT THE USER AND THIS WILL BE THEIR DEMISE AND I WILL NOT UPGRADE MY REASON 10 EVER AGAIN UNTIL THEY DO EXACTLY AS I SAY OTHERWISE I WISH NO ONE TO HAVE ANY FUN WHATSOEVER IN THIS PROGRAM AND I WILL CONTINUE TO BASH MY IDEAS OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN UNTIL THEY LISTEN is getting really, really old. We get the point. Okay, here me say it again: we get the point. No, really, we. get. the. point. Now can we please for once in our lifetimes discuss what is actually there instead of what isn't? Can we please, please talk about Reason without every other mention of it devolving into it's inevitable demise and how other DAWs have xyz feature for twenty years and how you are definitely never ever gonna upgrade ever again? Please. For the love of all that is holy. Go out, make some music. It's fun.

Oh, and in case I wasn't clear enough:

WE. GET. THE. POINT.
Personally I couldn’t care less any more what they do. Sure...as you say that whole argument is old. What you just wrote however is also old. Same old same old. Nothing new and been written a million times before. I don’t really get why the people stating their own views on the direction Reason is taking are always dubbed as “whiners” by many of those who have differing opinions. Maybe that’s not so constructive either.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

orthodox
RE Developer

20 Feb 2020

Zac wrote:
20 Feb 2020
Zac wrote:
20 Feb 2020
A quick question; does the new midi out device in standalone allow the midi out from sequencing VSTs to be utilised now without going outside of the Reason DAW?
^^I'm really curious if this update gives us VST midi out somehow in the Reason DAW. Please answer me someone :?:
Most likely, NO.

visheshl

20 Feb 2020

Upgrading to reason 11 has been the best decision. I had switched to live long ago and had been using rewire. Now i can use reason as a plugin alongside my other instruments and effects and multitude of features that ableton offers. I have the best of both worlds. Its awesome that now you can use reason players to play other vsts in the daw, also you can now drag and drop midi from devices to the daw. Such a great improvement.
Last edited by visheshl on 20 Feb 2020, edited 1 time in total.

guitfnky

20 Feb 2020

DS_Joost wrote:
20 Feb 2020
Look okay just to be really honest here the constant whining about the demise of Reason and the fact that REASON STUDIOS ARE THE LITERAL DEVIL AND THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT THE USER AND THIS WILL BE THEIR DEMISE AND I WILL NOT UPGRADE MY REASON 10 EVER AGAIN UNTIL THEY DO EXACTLY AS I SAY OTHERWISE I WISH NO ONE TO HAVE ANY FUN WHATSOEVER IN THIS PROGRAM AND I WILL CONTINUE TO BASH MY IDEAS OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN UNTIL THEY LISTEN is getting really, really old. We get the point. Okay, here me say it again: we get the point. No, really, we. get. the. point. Now can we please for once in our lifetimes discuss what is actually there instead of what isn't? Can we please, please talk about Reason without every other mention of it devolving into it's inevitable demise and how other DAWs have xyz feature for twenty years and how you are definitely never ever gonna upgrade ever again? Please. For the love of all that is holy. Go out, make some music. It's fun.

WE. GET. THE. POINT.
who here has suggested any of that?
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

DJMaytag

20 Feb 2020

buddard wrote:
20 Feb 2020
The new standalone MIDI device still has PB and MW:

It's just the Rack Plugin version that doesn't:

Bottom line: Can stand-alone Reason host Xferrecords Cthulhu and get MIDI out to other things now with this MIDI Out thing?

Rackman

20 Feb 2020

You're the only person in this thread writing in shouty UPPERCASE son. I think you should take some time to calm down.

If you don't like the discussion why don't you find a forum where everyone agrees with you.

And go and look up what 'LITERAL' means.
DS_Joost wrote:
20 Feb 2020

WE. GET. THE. POINT.

carllackey

20 Feb 2020

playing around with the new beat mapper, an id8 is always being loaded up when i put it in the rack,, can i not use redrum or the other drum machines in reason?

Chizmata

20 Feb 2020

the new player for sure looks fancy, will try what its got under the hood sometime.

Catblack

20 Feb 2020

stekme wrote:
20 Feb 2020
Cool features.
Beat Map Eurorack remind me module by Mutable Instruments - GRIDS (or his father - Mutable Anushri drum section), that based on BD/SD/HH/CYC Maps.
Yeah, it seems exactly that. I hope they give Emilie credit in the manual for any code reuse.

Resonans by Robotic Bean uses her code (from Rings) so it's not a far stretch to assume they have.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

Despondo
Competition Winner

20 Feb 2020

WillyOD wrote:
20 Feb 2020
It's funny to see Ryan/Props use other DAWs in their video and Reason as a plugin. I guess.... that is the future :(
Not for me. I like all my stuff in one DAW, and that DAW is Reason. :-)

buddard
RE Developer

20 Feb 2020

DJMaytag wrote:
20 Feb 2020
buddard wrote:
20 Feb 2020

Bottom line: Can stand-alone Reason host Xferrecords Cthulhu and get MIDI out to other things now with this MIDI Out thing?
No, these devices are for sending MIDI out from Reason, not receiving MIDI into Reason.
Just like the EMI that we had before, but now it also works in the Rack plugin + it has more CV inputs.

What you're looking for is some kind of MIDI In thing. :)

chimp_spanner

20 Feb 2020

DJMaytag wrote:
20 Feb 2020
buddard wrote:
20 Feb 2020

No. Hopefully it'll come eventually - I just looked up Cthulu and it looks great!

buddard
RE Developer

20 Feb 2020

Catblack wrote:
20 Feb 2020
stekme wrote:
20 Feb 2020
Cool features.
Beat Map Eurorack remind me module by Mutable Instruments - GRIDS (or his father - Mutable Anushri drum section), that based on BD/SD/HH/CYC Maps.
Yeah, it seems exactly that. I hope they give Emilie credit in the manual for any code reuse.
No code from Mutable Instruments was used in the making of Beat Map.
Although there certainly are some functional similarities between the devices on the surface, they use completely different approaches.

DJMaytag

20 Feb 2020

buddard wrote:
20 Feb 2020
No, I want to send MIDI data from a VST (Chtulu, Nerve, D16’s drum boxes, and ABL3 VST mainly) to sequence Europa or Kong or another VST. I don’t want to send MIDI outside of stand-alone Reason.

Mataya

20 Feb 2020

orthodox wrote:
20 Feb 2020
Zac wrote:
20 Feb 2020

Most likely, NO.
So I still can't use Microtonic drum sequencer or StiX to drive kong or a Redrum? Bumer.

m

aeox
Competition Winner

20 Feb 2020

DJMaytag wrote:
20 Feb 2020
buddard wrote:
20 Feb 2020
No, I want to send MIDI data from a VST (Chtulu, Nerve, D16’s drum boxes, and ABL3 VST mainly) to sequence Europa or Kong or another VST. I don’t want to send MIDI outside of stand-alone Reason.
That's in direct competition with players :twisted:

exxx

20 Feb 2020

The reason should have been to update the mastering meter or surgical eq.

How many years will the mcalss series be upgraded

Catblack

20 Feb 2020

buddard wrote:
20 Feb 2020
Catblack wrote:
20 Feb 2020

Although there certainly are some functional similarities between the devices on the surface, they use completely different approaches.
Thanks for that clarification! You can understand how one could think that though.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

OverneathTheSkyBridg

20 Feb 2020

I'm looking forward to playing with Beat Map, but the new and improved MIDI device is the winner for me personally as far as this upgrade is concerned. Very happy with Reason, 11 Suite was a great deal and the additions here make it even better.

orthodox
RE Developer

20 Feb 2020

Rackman wrote:
20 Feb 2020
You're the only person in this thread writing in shouty UPPERCASE son. I think you should take some time to calm down.

If you don't like the discussion why don't you find a forum where everyone agrees with you.

And go and look up what 'LITERAL' means.
DS_Joost wrote:
20 Feb 2020
What's so wrong about using CAPS? The guy expressed his feelings. Whiners do the same when they express their pessimistic attitudes.

And 'literal' can have a number of meanings. Why be so literal.

buddard
RE Developer

20 Feb 2020

Catblack wrote:
20 Feb 2020
buddard wrote:
20 Feb 2020

Thanks for that clarification! You can understand how one could think that though.
Oh yes, definitely! Hence the clarification. :D

tanni

20 Feb 2020

I dont see the to track function, nor the pattern buttons on the new Beat Map Player. So I only can record the notes into the sequencer in realtime while record is on ?

QVprod

20 Feb 2020

carllackey wrote:
20 Feb 2020
playing around with the new beat mapper, an id8 is always being loaded up when i put it in the rack,, can i not use redrum or the other drum machines in reason?
You should drag the device you want to use first and drag the player afterwards.

buddard
RE Developer

20 Feb 2020

tanni wrote:
20 Feb 2020
I dont see the to track function, nor the pattern buttons on the new Beat Map Player. So I only can record the notes into the sequencer in realtime while record is on ?
Beat Map can do both "Send to Track" and "Direct Record" like every other Player.
It doesn't have multiple patterns, though.

But you can still use the pattern automation lane for it!

1. Right-click on Beat Map and choose Create Track for...
2. Right-click on the sequencer track and choose Create Pattern/Loop Lane
3. Draw pattern clips in the Pattern Select lane

The advantage of this method vs automating the On button is that you can control the pattern offset if you want, which can be useful if you have breaks in odd time signatures or just want to mess up the rhythm in interesting ways. :)

• Information