Reason 11.2 is here!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
MattiasHG
Reason Studios

21 Feb 2020

KrazyKat wrote:
21 Feb 2020
Note to track inside rack for certain devices, but not for players?
It's all I wanted. Thought this update was it.

Heartbroken
It's a bit more complex than that. Players are designed to be stacked and listen to MIDI input. Let's take Dual Arpeggio as an example, you couldn't drag MIDI from it because it's dependent on what MIDI's coming in to it. That's how the entire format is designed and in Reason "Send to track" actually renders this it in sped-up real time and puts it on the track. When another host's involved, we can't really control the sequencer playback so it wouldn't work.

Appreciate the feedback though. There could be some cleverly designed solutions to this, we have some ideas, but it's not as straightforward as in Dr OctoRex, Matrix and Redrum so it didn't make it this time. You can of course record the output of players to track anyway with MIDI Out.

QVprod

21 Feb 2020

Zac wrote:
21 Feb 2020
Please excuse me for being so ignorant about graphics but what are the differences / options hi res will give me? I use a 40 inch TV at 1396 x 786 or something close to that
Screen resolution is different from screen size. Your TV screen is less than full HD which is 1920x1080 or 1080p so you won't notice a problem. On any screen resolution above 1080p, or even at 1080p, the devices are small and can be hard to read.

joeyluck

21 Feb 2020

MattiasHG wrote:
21 Feb 2020
KrazyKat wrote:
21 Feb 2020
Note to track inside rack for certain devices, but not for players?
It's all I wanted. Thought this update was it.

Heartbroken
It's a bit more complex than that. Players are designed to be stacked and listen to MIDI input. Let's take Dual Arpeggio as an example, you couldn't drag MIDI from it because it's dependent on what MIDI's coming in to it. That's how the entire format is designed and in Reason "Send to track" actually renders this it in sped-up real time and puts it on the track. When another host's involved, we can't really control the sequencer playback so it wouldn't work.

Appreciate the feedback though. There could be some cleverly designed solutions to this, we have some ideas, but it's not as straightforward as in Dr OctoRex, Matrix and Redrum so it didn't make it this time. You can of course record the output of players to track anyway with MIDI Out.
I use Sonuscore's The Orchestra (Kontakt instrument) running inside Reason, and it has drag and drop MIDI. And what it does is during playback, it is recording. So the drag and drop to the sequencer is instant, however it has to have recorded it first...so whatever you have played will be transferrable to MIDI.

Ad0

21 Feb 2020

I am trying feedback routing to bring VSTs into the FX chain of the RRP. But no luck so far. There seems to be no sound going out from RRP 3/4 at all since the spacemodulator receives nothing.

So the routing I am trying RRP REX -> out 3/4 -> space modulator on track 2 -> out 1/2 -> RRP in 3/4 -> reverb -> RRP out 1/2 -> send to track 3, input 1/2 -> Master.
Yeah I know I can split it up to 2 RRP instances but just wanted to see whether this worked :D

Crumbfort

21 Feb 2020

Social Exodus wrote:
20 Feb 2020
Crumbfort wrote:
20 Feb 2020
Hmm, I'm using Reaper and the Rack plugin is just simply not sending CC messages out. Everything is hooked up properly in the plugin instance, and the MIDI out module shows the CV activity, but no dice.
Reaper devs might have that fixed by tomorrow lol
Hehe, funny enough the new Reaper version that came out earlier today (v6.04/64 rev 569963) fixes the MIDI CC out problem.

Working great now!
Descent: Legends of the Dark // Darkeport Productions // The LotR: ACG // Blue Zones (Netflix) // Chef's Table (Netflix)

(Composer for visual media / Adeptus Mechanicus Synthseer)

Yonatan

21 Feb 2020

Not having the Rack Plugin yet, so can anyone ensure if I understood rightly about getting player MIDI notes into say Logic Sequencer. I know one cannot "Send to track", but can one "Direct Record" so that all the little midi-notes gets into Logic sequencer? Or is it only possible to get the broader midi lines that trigger the player to do its thing? (hope it was clear). I do use "send to track" and I admit it is a bit of a nice magic inside Reason DAW to be able to do. But if I can use Direct Recording, if that is possible, it would be more than enough for me at this point as I use that very often.
Last edited by Yonatan on 21 Feb 2020, edited 1 time in total.

EnochLight

21 Feb 2020

Zac wrote:
21 Feb 2020
Please excuse me for being so ignorant about graphics but what are the differences / options hi res will give me? I use a 40 inch TV at 1396 x 786 or something close to that
With a display with that low of resolution, probably not much. But for more typical 4K panels where the resolution approaches 3840 x 2160 pixels, or even future proofing for 8K and beyond - higher resolution graphics will be the difference between a blurry pixelated mess and crisp.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Biolumin3sc3nt

21 Feb 2020

Yonatan wrote:
21 Feb 2020
Not having the Rack Plugin yet, so can anyone ensure if I understood rightly about getting player MIDI notes into say Logic Sequencer. I know one cannot "Send to track", but can one "Direct Record" so that all the little midi-notes gets into Logic sequencer? Or is it only possible to get the broader midi lines that trigger the player to do its thing? (hope it was clear). I do use "send to track" and I admit it is a bit of a nice magic inside Reason DAW to be able to do. But if I can use Direct Recording, if that is possible, it would be more than enough for me at this point as I use that very often.
Midi FX Freeze -- It's Free -- Use It

http://www.audiocr.com/

manisnotabird

21 Feb 2020

Connect some slow LFOs to the X and Y CV inputs on the back of BeatMap and you've pretty much made the drums for your own version of Autechre's "Flutter".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti_EP

Yonatan

21 Feb 2020

Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:
21 Feb 2020
Yonatan wrote:
21 Feb 2020

Thanks a lot! Love how there is almost always some little trix and or free plugin to fix things.

Biolumin3sc3nt

21 Feb 2020

Yonatan wrote:
21 Feb 2020
Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:
21 Feb 2020

Thanks a lot! Love how there is almost always some little trix and or free plugin to fix things.
You're welcome... It's one of those free goodies that's been around for a while that everyone misses. If You're so inclined, tip the developer

Biolumin3sc3nt

21 Feb 2020

manisnotabird wrote:
21 Feb 2020
Connect some slow LFOs to the X and Y CV inputs on the back of BeatMap and you've pretty much made the drums for your own version of Autechre's "Flutter".

Took the words right out of My mouth. I was making some sick combinator patches this afternoon with BeatMap and Pulsar

guitfnky

21 Feb 2020

Yonatan wrote:
21 Feb 2020
Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:
21 Feb 2020

that might be a handy tool, but I don’t think you need it to do what you were asking about. the announcement video shows how to record the MIDI output from the rack plugin’s Player devices into your DAW. I think the example in that section of the video was Ableton, so you probably need slightly different settings in Logic, but yes, it does what you describe. (unless of course, I’m misunderstanding what you were asking)
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Biolumin3sc3nt

21 Feb 2020

guitfnky wrote:
21 Feb 2020
Yonatan wrote:
21 Feb 2020

that might be a handy tool, but I don’t think you need it to do what you were asking about. the announcement video shows how to record the MIDI output from the rack plugin’s Player devices into your DAW. I think the example in that section of the video was Ableton, so you probably need slightly different settings in Logic, but yes, it does what you describe. (unless of course, I’m misunderstanding what you were asking)

Being as I'm not an Ableton User, that was just my quick fix of the day for Logic Users. Just trying to do My part.

manisnotabird

21 Feb 2020

Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:
21 Feb 2020
manisnotabird wrote:
21 Feb 2020

Took the words right out of My mouth. I was making some sick combinator patches this afternoon with BeatMap and Pulsar
Wish there was a stepped "random walk" style LFO. I.e. every, say measure, there'd be a 33% chance of of increasing by x, 33% of staying the same, and 33% of decreasing by x, and probably some special rules as it got close to minimum and maximum possible values.

guitfnky

21 Feb 2020

Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:
21 Feb 2020
guitfnky wrote:
21 Feb 2020

Being as I'm not an Ableton User, that was just my quick fix of the day for Logic Users. Just trying to do My part.
gotcha. always good to have options! wasn’t sure if I was missing something.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Biolumin3sc3nt

21 Feb 2020

manisnotabird wrote:
21 Feb 2020
Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:
21 Feb 2020

Wish there was a stepped "random walk" style LFO. I.e. every, say measure, there'd be a 33% chance of of increasing by x, 33% of staying the same, and 33% of decreasing by x, and probably some special rules as it got close to minimum and maximum possible values.
That's very interesting, and while I don't have these Rack Extensions a few come to mind off the top of my head:

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack-extension/kron/

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... gic-gates/

oh yeah also Delta Midi Computer, how could i forget https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... -computer/

Perhaps someone else more knowledgable can chime in

Ad0

21 Feb 2020

Crumbfort wrote:
21 Feb 2020
Social Exodus wrote:
20 Feb 2020

Reaper devs might have that fixed by tomorrow lol
Hehe, funny enough the new Reaper version that came out earlier today (v6.04/64 rev 569963) fixes the MIDI CC out problem.

Working great now!
That's funny! Literally happened.

+ VST: fix support for VST3 plugins that output MIDI via LegacyMIDICCOutEvent

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

21 Feb 2020

sonicbyte wrote:
20 Feb 2020
Enlightenspeed wrote:
20 Feb 2020

What are you hoping it will do exactly?
Simply to be able to control several instruments inside one single instance of kontakt (orchestral libraries for instance with multiple articulations) to speed up work, optimize cpu and ram consumption, and workflow... Like in any other daw
There are ways with virtual midi tools but is too messy and don't want to work like that.... In any daw this is pretty standard.
Cool 😎

Can you give me an example of exactly the workflow you want? Alternatively, just give an example of which DAW you believe to have the best version of this?

Thanks,
Brian

fieldframe
RE Developer

21 Feb 2020

MattiasHG wrote:
21 Feb 2020
For example, we're hard at work on high-resolution, GPU accelerated graphics.
I can't overstate how great this is to finally have confirmed!
Zac wrote:
21 Feb 2020
There are three main benefits of what Mattias is talking about here:

1) If you're on a high-DPI display and your OS is rendering at 1.5x - 2x, the rack will no longer look low-res compared to the rest of your operating system.

2) If you're on a moderate-DPI display and your OS is rendering things at 1x, the rack probably looks small to you. Hardware acceleration means you'll likely be able to zoom into the rack.

3) Even if you're on a low-DPI display (like 1366 x 768 @ 40"), the rack will scroll much more smoothly and feel more responsive.

Ad0

21 Feb 2020

I managed to put insert hardware effects in between reason effects!

Octorex -> hardware compressor -> RV7000 in the SAME plugin (!) -> output

This way I can sneak in VSTs as well of course. But I would prefer RPP to have the capability to do this itself.

Loque

21 Feb 2020

Ad0 wrote:
21 Feb 2020
I managed to put insert hardware effects in between reason effects!

Octorex -> hardware compressor -> RV7000 in the SAME plugin (!) -> output

This way I can sneak in VSTs as well of course. But I would prefer RPP to have the capability to do this itself.

You are obviously a Reason guy :lol:
Reason12, Win10

Zac

21 Feb 2020

fieldframe wrote:
21 Feb 2020
MattiasHG wrote:
21 Feb 2020
For example, we're hard at work on high-resolution, GPU accelerated graphics.
I can't overstate how great this is to finally have confirmed!
Zac wrote:
21 Feb 2020
There are three main benefits of what Mattias is talking about here:

1) If you're on a high-DPI display and your OS is rendering at 1.5x - 2x, the rack will no longer look low-res compared to the rest of your operating system.

2) If you're on a moderate-DPI display and your OS is rendering things at 1x, the rack probably looks small to you. Hardware acceleration means you'll likely be able to zoom into the rack.

3) Even if you're on a low-DPI display (like 1366 x 768 @ 40"), the rack will scroll much more smoothly and feel more responsive.
Thanks (and also to EL and QVProd for answering)

I will benefit then 👍I will be able to run at 1080p and it will be smoother. Sounds good. And no doubt I'll end up with a 4k TV at some stage.

Ad0

21 Feb 2020

Loque wrote:
21 Feb 2020
You are obviously a Reason guy :lol:
Haha. Now I have to find out what causes the most latency. I have a feeling that just putting reason VSTi -> hardware insert -> Reason VST effect (with RV7000) could be a more optimal solution.

Proboscis

21 Feb 2020

joeyluck wrote:
21 Feb 2020
Well I think that's exactly what you can do with subscriptions—turn them on and off on a whim. For instance, someone currently on a previous version that has taken a break who wants to be up to speed with all the new features needs to pay to upgrade (albeit the most affordable and least complicated upgrade path out there). But with a subscription, you could pay a small single monthly fee and be using all the new features. Take a week or two months off, come back and pay for another month. I think the attractiveness in any subscription model comes down to the pricing and annual vs monthly costs.

For instance, Adobe Audition for $20.99/month (annual plan, paid monthly) totals at $250/year...The prepaid annual plan only saves you about $10 on that.... And then the true monthly plan (cancel anytime) is $31.49/month, which for many is simply too much per month. I think if Reason were $10 or $15 a month, many people would find that very attractive.
Who on earth uses Audition for making music ? I mean, it's capable and all, but I don't think I've ever read about Audition being anyone's choice for tunes, and I'm not sure I've even seen it covered in magazines too often when talking about DAWs. Adobe's subscription-only model came about because the bulk of users are commercial customers, who would most likely be 'buying' into the whole suite, and they determined that culling the amateurs was of no consequence to their profits.

How many other DAWs are by subscription ? Pro Tools is - and again it's a software that's aimed primarily at the commercial market. so the monthly fee is just a cost of doing business.

For hobbyists/amateurs, which I would speculate that the vast majority of Reason users are, the option of 'taking some months off' is crazy. Inspiration strikes at any time, and it would be more of a deterrent to know that each time that random urge arises, it's going to cost $10 for the privileged to use Reason. It can't even be compared to say Netflix, where if one feels the urge to watch something, there are dozens of other options if one does not have available $$ to restart a membership.

Going by some polls on this forum, there is a significant chunk of people who don't upgrade every release cycle, but maybe every second one. That's three years, or the equivalent of $3.50 per month. It's very unlikely for a subscription model would be that low price. And if it were, the $2 international currency fee suddenly increases the monthly access fee by a whopping 30%

There are plenty of business tools that are subscription only , often because they are also cloud based, that make sense, and I might argue are in fact better for being subscription only. But Reason does not fall into that category. We cannot assume that 'only $$$ per month' is viable for non-commercial private users.

Perhaps you don't realize that many many people these days are struggling, and living pay packet to pay packet. We are on the technological cusp where automation will take away many jobs, manufacturing is sent offshore, and back office services are being outsourced to countries with a cheaper cost of staff. It is becoming increasingly difficult to make end meet, and will continue to do so in the coming decade. This is already being recognized as raising alarm bells from the likes of Elon Musk & Presidential Candidate Andrew Yang, to name but two of many people having this discussion in the public forum.

A subscription model suddenly excludes those people from having anytime-access. Me personally, I do not work at present due to ongoing heath issues. Each month, my income is less than my apartment rent, let alone bills, food, etc. I have several friends who live in a dual-income household with kids, and with the cost of living skyrocketing, they too struggle to get by while maintaining a basic standard of living. The growing problem of poverty extends beyond the unwell, but also to the 'working poor'

Here are some more considerations. If a fixed-agreement debit attempt fails due to insufficient funds, my bank charges me $10 penalty ! If at any given month a subscription debit is attempted, I'm penalized, maybe for the same price as the subscription, but without the access to the subscription I'm being debited for. There is also a fixed (not %) international currency charge for buying stuff from Propellerhead. So that 18 months of extra fees on a month-by-month billing cycle, rather than a single, one-off fee when buying an upgrade. Making music is one of the few things I can do to escape from the reality of bad circumstances, and a subscription model suddenly takes that small pleasure away.

Sure, you can argue that pre-existing software will still work, but for how long ? Support for versions ends, great new feature changes are no longer achievable, and one will be stuck in the past forever. If one were to be in a dire financial situation, but might want to upgrade every two or three releases, gear can be sold, I might ask family to 'gift' me a licence rather than give me some useless physical product that I'll never use, or other means can be found to rustle up $129 to be covered for the next three years.

Or let's say that Reason 12 (or whatever it might be called) is subscription only. My attempts to perhaps use another DAW and still use the thousands of dollars of RE's I've bought (I haven't always been in poverty, quite the opposite) will not be possible, because the RRP will exist only behind a subscription paywall.

Should access to using Reason be limited to only those with financial stability ?

• Information