Reason 11.2 is here!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Proboscis

21 Feb 2020

MattiasHG wrote:
21 Feb 2020
Reason Studios becomes Reason Studs, and then maybe we release a built-in swimsuit calendar or something. :cool:
Better not do the photoshoot during Swedish winter, to avoid 'shrinkage'

Unless you're going for a 'less is more' marketing angle :lol:

daisky

21 Feb 2020

MattiasHG wrote:
21 Feb 2020
Regardless of if it'll be a number 12 or not, we have tons of cool improvements for Reason in the pipeline. For example, we're hard at work on high-resolution, GPU accelerated graphics. Don't worry, we're not going anywhere.
This is the *only* thing I wanted to read. Thanks Mattias. I have not logged on to my R10 for more than six months because it is just more pleasant to use LPX on my large screen.

If Reason gets that much needed and long-awaited face-lift, I am upgrading even if that is the only update in the new version.

chimp_spanner

21 Feb 2020

MattiasHG wrote:
21 Feb 2020
WillyOD wrote:
21 Feb 2020
Why would you ever make a "statement" like this? Do you realize what this sounds like?
It sounds like you don't believe in your own Product and you have no idea where the product or your newly named Company is headed
That was not my intention! As a really dumb example: what if we want to give away all updates for free? Then there wouldn't be a Reason 12. I just don't want to confirm or deny that there will be a paid upgrade called "Reason 12".

Regardless of if it'll be a number 12 or not, we have tons of cool improvements for Reason in the pipeline. For example, we're hard at work on high-resolution, GPU accelerated graphics. Don't worry, we're not going anywhere.
Just go full Microsoft and call it Reason One X Series X

Social Exodus

21 Feb 2020

Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly does RRP stand for? Reason Rack Plugin?
:reason: 11 Suite/12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

xboix

21 Feb 2020

Social Exodus wrote:
21 Feb 2020
Recommended Retail Price.

Or Reason Rack Plugin if you are on here. :D

QVprod

21 Feb 2020

Guys.. I know it’s a new shiny update but can we stop forgetting That it’s only a .2 update? This probably the biggest .2 update from RS ever. R11 is only a few months old so there likely more coming. This update pretty much just completed the rack plugin.
Proboscis wrote:
21 Feb 2020

And that's not off the table. The Beatmap walkthrough raises some considerations to note, where the guy says "Let's take a look at this new device in the latest Reason" then proceeds to open Ableton :roll: And then of course there's the earlier post from a staff member of "*IF* there's a Reason 12". Who the hell would say that, even jokingly, when the whole IP of Reason is in a state of flux right now ? Right now, it;s an asset in the hands of an investment firm, who do not hold on to businesses they acquire, but instead apply enough lipstick to bring in some fast money, show a book profit with potential future earnings, then sell it off.
The marquee feature of R11 is the plugin. Of course they show it off primarily. It’s the marquee feature. It’d be silly not to. “If there’s a Reason 12” is a sensible statement because they can call it something else. For example, there’s no Pro tools 13, Fl Studio jumped from 12 to 20...etc...

Can we stop reading into things unnecessarily? A company releasing a product you don’t like does not imply that it’s dying.

Social Exodus

21 Feb 2020

xboix wrote:
21 Feb 2020
Social Exodus wrote:
21 Feb 2020
Recommended Retail Price.

Or Reason Rack Plugin if you are on here. :D
My Googling of that acronym brought me to a better understanding of finance, but I was temporarily stumped about that term's use here lol
:reason: 11 Suite/12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

Rackman

21 Feb 2020

I just don't want to confirm or deny that there will be a paid upgrade called "Reason 12"
– Hello subscription model

KrazyKat

21 Feb 2020

Note to track inside rack for certain devices, but not for players?
It's all I wanted. Thought this update was it.

Heartbroken

Yonatan

21 Feb 2020

MattiasHG wrote:
21 Feb 2020
WillyOD wrote:
21 Feb 2020
Why would you ever make a "statement" like this? Do you realize what this sounds like?
It sounds like you don't believe in your own Product and you have no idea where the product or your newly named Company is headed
That was not my intention! As a really dumb example: what if we want to give away all updates for free? Then there wouldn't be a Reason 12. I just don't want to confirm or deny that there will be a paid upgrade called "Reason 12".

Good clarification and nice to hear that such workings are in the pipeline. :thumbs_up:

guitfnky

21 Feb 2020

Rackman wrote:
21 Feb 2020
I just don't want to confirm or deny that there will be a paid upgrade called "Reason 12"
that’s what I was thinking too. I hope they don’t do that, or at least retain the option of owning versions outright. I like owning the software I use—it makes me feel more invested when I can’t just turn my ability to use it on and off on a whim.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Yonatan

21 Feb 2020

chimp_spanner wrote:
21 Feb 2020
MattiasHG wrote:
21 Feb 2020

Just go full Microsoft and call it Reason One X Series X
Oh my, don´t put out such ideas! Then I would have to go full Windows. But ok, you can get a Reason Xmas edition for Windows only, with a reddish color template. And a Red Drum! :)

guitfnky

21 Feb 2020

I do have to say thank you to Mattias for chiming in again over the last two days to reiterate they’re still focusing on the DAW. I’m very glad to hear that improvements are coming, and understand (conceptually, anyway) why they had to focus the last couple of point updates on the RRP.

*super* stoked to hear hi-res/GUI updates are in the pipeline. I won’t get too greedy for info on other stuff that’s still missing, but I’ll stay hopeful that LOTS of our most pressing needs are on the roadmap (not the Beatmap). 🤞🏼🤞🏼

Lempface

21 Feb 2020

Loque wrote:
20 Feb 2020
manisnotabird wrote:
20 Feb 2020
Do the features on the topographical map have any relationship to the drum groove created, or are they totally arbitrary eye candy?
The maps locator modulates the density AFAIU.
The video explicitly says that the map does more than modulate the density.
Reason 11 Suite | Bitwig Studio 3 | Native Instruments Komplete 13 Ultimate Collector's | Komplete Kontrol M32 | Maschine Mikro MK2 | Maschine Jam

chimp_spanner

21 Feb 2020

Lempface wrote:
21 Feb 2020
Loque wrote:
20 Feb 2020

The maps locator modulates the density AFAIU.
The video explicitly says that the map does more than modulate the density.
The map navigates through different patterns and styles (within each map, which in turn is dedicated to an overall/broad style).

Only density controls density. Although certain patterns within a map will be denser than others, I guess.

joeyluck

21 Feb 2020

guitfnky wrote:
21 Feb 2020
Rackman wrote:
21 Feb 2020

that’s what I was thinking too. I hope they don’t do that, or at least retain the option of owning versions outright. I like owning the software I use—it makes me feel more invested when I can’t just turn my ability to use it on and off on a whim.
Well I think that's exactly what you can do with subscriptions—turn them on and off on a whim. For instance, someone currently on a previous version that has taken a break who wants to be up to speed with all the new features needs to pay to upgrade (albeit the most affordable and least complicated upgrade path out there). But with a subscription, you could pay a small single monthly fee and be using all the new features. Take a week or two months off, come back and pay for another month. I think the attractiveness in any subscription model comes down to the pricing and annual vs monthly costs.

For instance, Adobe Audition for $20.99/month (annual plan, paid monthly) totals at $250/year...The prepaid annual plan only saves you about $10 on that.... And then the true monthly plan (cancel anytime) is $31.49/month, which for many is simply too much per month. I think if Reason were $10 or $15 a month, many people would find that very attractive.

chimp_spanner

21 Feb 2020

TBH I'm not at all opposed to a subscription model. Put it this way, between Amazon Prime, Netflix, Xbox Live and a handful of other subscriptions I'm probably already paying like 50-60 a month on stuff I don't even use every day, much less most of the day. And it's largely of questionable quality and value (when Picard is finished Prime can get in the bin). If it really came down to it I would happily scrap Netflix in exchange for a DAW that has constant funding/money for constant, rapid development. Or, ya know, quit smoking and just keep both.

guitfnky

21 Feb 2020

I haven’t had a chance to crack it open yet, but if I were to hazard a guess, I’d say the map affects how the density is distributed, rather than the density itself. so if you set the density to 50%, you could end up with every other eighth note in one part of the map, or the first four eighth notes with a half note rest for the remainder of the bar. both would have the same average density, but would sound very different. probably. maybe? 😆

though I imagine it might have some effect on density to a lesser degree, as chimp_spanner suggests.

guitfnky

21 Feb 2020

joeyluck wrote:
21 Feb 2020
guitfnky wrote:
21 Feb 2020

Well I think that's exactly what you can do with subscriptions—turn them on and off on a whim. For instance, someone currently on a previous version that has taken a break who wants to be up to speed with all the new features needs to pay to upgrade (albeit the most affordable and least complicated upgrade path out there). But with a subscription, you could pay a small single monthly fee and be using all the new features. Take a week or two months off, come back and pay for another month. I think the attractiveness in any subscription model comes down to the pricing and annual vs monthly costs.

For instance, Adobe Audition for $20.99/month (annual plan, paid monthly) totals at $250/year...The prepaid annual plan only saves you about $10 on that.... And then the true monthly plan (cancel anytime) is $31.49/month, which for many is simply too much per month. I think if Reason were $10 or $15 a month, many people would find that very attractive.
yes, I understand how subscriptions work. what you describe is exactly what I don’t want, for the reasons I stated. 😅

buddard
RE Developer

21 Feb 2020

KrazyKat wrote:
21 Feb 2020

Heartbroken
This is not possible since RRP has no control over the host DAW.
It works for Redrum, Matrix and Recycle because they all ignore MIDI input and just play back static note data. Players are another story altogether since they process MIDI input from the DAW, so your best bet would be to use some kind of bounce or freeze function in the host DAW.

The biggest drawback of having the rack as a plugin is that you lose the tight integration you have when working in Reason standalone.

chimp_spanner

21 Feb 2020

buddard wrote:
21 Feb 2020
KrazyKat wrote:
21 Feb 2020

Heartbroken
This is not possible since RRP has no control over the host DAW.
It works for Redrum, Matrix and Recycle because they all ignore MIDI input and just play back static note data. Players are another story altogether since they process MIDI input from the DAW, so your best bet would be to use some kind of bounce or freeze function in the host DAW.

The biggest drawback of having the rack as a plugin is that you lose the tight integration you have when working in Reason standalone.
Damn I never even thought of that. Yeah of course that's why it wouldn't work. The only way really would be for RRP to have its own timeline...and then really it's just full Reason in a VST.

Biolumin3sc3nt

21 Feb 2020

MattiasHG wrote:
21 Feb 2020
Proboscis wrote:
21 Feb 2020

2019: Propellerhead becomes Reason Studios
2021: 'Reason' software becomes 'Studio'

Next release cycle will be rebranded as 'Studio 1'
Reason Studios becomes Reason Studs, and then maybe we release a built-in swimsuit calendar or something. :cool:

LOL... that was seriously the best Ice Breaker comment ever. I literally just spit out my afternoon Vodka Cranberry. Fucking hell Mattias, You are one funny Character. Seriously what the hell is going on in this thread?

I bought the Reason 11 Suite upgrade as a Birthday present to myself this month and I couldn't be happier. Controlling Logic with Reason Players is AWESOME!!! I'm sorry this doesn't apply to all of You, but this update fucking rocks! BTW, the new player is seriously cool. Well done Guys!

ShelLuser

21 Feb 2020

The one thing I enjoy the most of working with different products and also following up with the community of said products (this is mostly Ableton, Reason and Native Instruments) is the massive overlap you get to see sometimes. Because Native Instruments, just like Reason Studios, has also pitched the idea of implementing a subscription model and of course: plenty of people start worrying about a move to subscription only.

Seriously, I don't see that ever happening. Pretty much all companies I know who started pushing subscriptions never abandoned perpetual licenses. Even Microsoft, which tries really hard to make sure you get to see Office 365 but not the usual license options.
--- :reason:

Zac

21 Feb 2020

Please excuse me for being so ignorant about graphics but what are the differences / options hi res will give me? I use a 40 inch TV at 1396 x 786 or something close to that

Biolumin3sc3nt

21 Feb 2020

ImageReason 11.2 --- Get Your Freak On

• Information