Reason 11.2 is here!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
manisnotabird

20 Feb 2020

A little disappointed the map doesn't move when CV is sent to the X and Y inputs on the back!

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

20 Feb 2020

sonicbyte wrote:
20 Feb 2020
Of course this will not work inside Reason standalone to control multi-out midi instruments like Kontakt, right?
What are you hoping it will do exactly?

buddard
RE Developer

20 Feb 2020

manisnotabird wrote:
20 Feb 2020
A little disappointed the map doesn't move when CV is sent to the X and Y inputs on the back!
We tried it, but it was impossible to grab the crosshairs while they were moving around. It was very frustrating! :lol:
The X/Y CV values are added to the manual setting.

helmutson

20 Feb 2020

chimp_spanner wrote:
20 Feb 2020
helmutson wrote:
20 Feb 2020
Add audio "+" from the seq window doesn't work any longer (R11.2) . It's greyed out and I can't select it. Adding audio track from menu works ...
Yeah it’s a bug - it’s been flagged and I think will he patched soon!
ah, ok ... thanx

Faastwalker

20 Feb 2020

Loque wrote:
20 Feb 2020
I am not sure about this new Player. I think i need to play around with and see/hear what it does. I guess, it can be very usefull for some glitch stuff and fills too. But the most important is, IT HAS CV INPUTS ❤
And gate outputs. I’m thinking it could be an interesting gate generator for my modular. A sort of Player, Pamela’s New Workout? 🤔 I’m not a fan of this sort of generative device too much. They’re great fun to play around with but I find you often get results that feel like they just fall out of the things and it’s not your thing! They’re most fun & useful when you use them sparingly and try to kind of break them to use in ways they maybe were not intended 😉

Loque

20 Feb 2020

Faastwalker wrote:
20 Feb 2020
Loque wrote:
20 Feb 2020
I am not sure about this new Player. I think i need to play around with and see/hear what it does. I guess, it can be very usefull for some glitch stuff and fills too. But the most important is, IT HAS CV INPUTS ❤
And gate outputs. I’m thinking it could be an interesting gate generator for my modular. A sort of Player, Pamela’s New Workout? 🤔 I’m not a fan of this sort of generative device too much. They’re great fun to play around with but I find you often get results that feel like they just fall out of the things and it’s not your thing! They’re most fun & useful when you use them sparingly and try to kind of break them to use in ways they maybe were not intended 😉
I played around with it. Its a good modular generator device. Didn't used it only for beats, rather for glitch generators and stuff. Got some interesting results. I try to get beyond the intention of my devices too. Thats why i love Reason...you can always go beyond.
Reason12, Win10

sonicbyte

20 Feb 2020

Enlightenspeed wrote:
20 Feb 2020
sonicbyte wrote:
20 Feb 2020
Of course this will not work inside Reason standalone to control multi-out midi instruments like Kontakt, right?
What are you hoping it will do exactly?
Simply to be able to control several instruments inside one single instance of kontakt (orchestral libraries for instance with multiple articulations) to speed up work, optimize cpu and ram consumption, and workflow... Like in any other daw
There are ways with virtual midi tools but is too messy and don't want to work like that.... In any daw this is pretty standard.

Jmax

20 Feb 2020

So is there any way to get midi out of BEATmap controlling another drum plugin, e.g. Loopcloud drum player.

I've setup Loopcloud Drum player VST to receive midi data from Beatmap which works perfectly, just need some way to record the data into Ableton?

carllackey

20 Feb 2020

chimp spanner thank you!

madmacman

20 Feb 2020

miscend wrote:
20 Feb 2020
madmacman wrote:
20 Feb 2020

No, why? It‘s for those people on R10 who know for sure that they‘ll never upgrade.
Do you think it's worth that price?
That wasn‘t your questioning the first run. :mrgreen:

But honestly: Since I never say „never“, I wouldn’t buy at that price tag - no matter how good it is (or worth that price as you say). Sooner or later I would upgrade and get it for free. And usually I‘m a patient guy. Players are more the bells & whistles to me, but not indespendable core tools.

Ad0

20 Feb 2020

As a reward to Reason Studios for listening, I upgraded...
I set the MIDI out to 60, and I receive the MIDI notes from the player. Why doesn't the CC work on Cutoff?

Crumbfort

20 Feb 2020

Ad0 wrote:
20 Feb 2020
I set the MIDI out to 60, and I receive the MIDI notes from the player. Why doesn't the CC work on Cutoff?
I've been unable to get MIDI CC OUT to work in Reaper (v6), either. Note/Gate data is working great, just not CC data.

I posted on the Reaper forums as well, let's see if we can find out what's what...
Descent: Legends of the Dark // Darkeport Productions // The LotR: ACG // Blue Zones (Netflix) // Chef's Table (Netflix)

(Composer for visual media / Adeptus Mechanicus Synthseer)

Proboscis

20 Feb 2020

miscend wrote:
20 Feb 2020
Is the £62.00 selling price for Beat Map player meant to be some sort of joke?
It's all a part of the steaming pile of bullshit that can be expected from a new Reason release. "Look how great we are, giving you all a $69 device".

Meanwhile, the sequencer remains in the stone age compared to other DAWS, and it appears Reason Studios aren't even developing anymore, instead outsourcing it. This is not the first time it's happened. This is the 7th stock device that they haven't produced themselves ( the others being QNG, the two SOftube Amps and the three Soundiron REs)

Bring on V12, so I can pay my exit tax, obtain the Reason VST and be done with this shady crowd forever. I've had enough of their crap, and their blowing in to social media to say "oh woo go us, look at this new thing', whole ignoring the long list of workflow critical fixes/additions. Reason Studios staff are the polar opposite of Cakewalk's crew, who actively address users issues, and roll out updates/features/fixes every month, based on user feedback. What do RS do ? Almost nothing... but guy's .. SHINY NEW SHIT NOBODY ASKED FOR !

chimp_spanner

20 Feb 2020

Crumbfort wrote:
20 Feb 2020
Ad0 wrote:
20 Feb 2020
I've been unable to get MIDI CC OUT to work in Reaper (v6), either. Note/Gate data is working great, just not CC data.

I posted on the Reaper forums as well, let's see if we can find out what's what...
I know on some plugins you have to assign a host automation ID to a control before it can be addressed by controllers. Do you think it's anything to do with that? Or do other plugins with MIDI CC out work, and RRP doesn't?

Social Exodus

20 Feb 2020

Proboscis wrote:
20 Feb 2020
miscend wrote:
20 Feb 2020
Is the £62.00 selling price for Beat Map player meant to be some sort of joke?
It's all a part of the steaming pile of bullshit that can be expected from a new Reason release. "Look how great we are, giving you all a $69 device".

Meanwhile, the sequencer remains in the stone age compared to other DAWS, and it appears Reason Studios aren't even developing anymore, instead outsourcing it. This is not the first time it's happened. This is the 7th stock device that they haven't produced themselves ( the others being QNG, the two SOftube Amps and the three Soundiron REs)

Bring on V12, so I can pay my exit tax, obtain the Reason VST and be done with this shady crowd forever. I've had enough of their crap, and their blowing in to social media to say "oh woo go us, look at this new thing', whole ignoring the long list of workflow critical fixes/additions. Reason Studios staff are the polar opposite of Cakewalk's crew, who actively address users issues, and roll out updates/features/fixes every month, based on user feedback. What do RS do ? Almost nothing... but guy's .. SHINY NEW SHIT NOBODY ASKED FOR !
I literally lol'd when I read this post. I'm stick chuckling lol. I particularly liked being referred to as part of a "shady crowd". Nice touch!

Harumph indeed!

Last edited by Social Exodus on 20 Feb 2020, edited 2 times in total.
:reason: 11 Suite/12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

Ad0

20 Feb 2020

chimp_spanner wrote:
20 Feb 2020
I know on some plugins you have to assign a host automation ID to a control before it can be addressed by controllers. Do you think it's anything to do with that? Or do other plugins with MIDI CC out work, and RRP doesn't?
Automation ID?

chimp_spanner

20 Feb 2020

Ad0 wrote:
20 Feb 2020
chimp_spanner wrote:
20 Feb 2020
Automation ID?
Yeah like in plugins such as Kontakt there'll be a panel where you assign an ID to a control, and then it becomes available in automation tracks, and controllable by knobs/faders on your keyboard. I'm not familiar with the plugin you're trying to use so I don't know if it'll have that or not, but it's just a thought.

*Edit: can't try it out either as no Mac version. Have you used the "Learn" function? Make sure the LFO in RRP is 'broadcasting', no other notes playing, and use learn in the desired synth. It should pick up the CC coming into it. What DAW are you in also?
Last edited by chimp_spanner on 20 Feb 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Ad0

20 Feb 2020

chimp_spanner wrote:
20 Feb 2020
Ad0 wrote:
20 Feb 2020

Automation ID?
Yeah like in plugins such as Kontakt there'll be a panel where you assign an ID to a control, and then it becomes available in automation tracks, and controllable by knobs/faders on your keyboard. I'm not familiar with the plugin you're trying to use so I don't know if it'll have that or not, but it's just a thought.
No sorry there is nothing like that. There is simply no midi CC coming from reason rack plugin. Maybe a bug?

Faastwalker

20 Feb 2020

Loque wrote:
20 Feb 2020
Faastwalker wrote:
20 Feb 2020

I played around with it. Its a good modular generator device. Didn't used it only for beats, rather for glitch generators and stuff. Got some interesting results. I try to get beyond the intention of my devices too. That's why i love Reason...you can always go beyond.
Sounds good. I see the BeatMap is in the shop. I'll give it a TRY. Then if it's interesting enough it could be time to take the plunge on the R11 upgrade ............ maybe.

chimp_spanner

20 Feb 2020

Ad0 wrote:
20 Feb 2020
chimp_spanner wrote:
20 Feb 2020

No sorry there is nothing like that. There is simply no midi CC coming from reason rack plugin. Maybe a bug?
See edit to my reply.

Ad0

20 Feb 2020

chimp_spanner wrote:
20 Feb 2020
Ad0 wrote:
20 Feb 2020

See edit to my reply.
I use Reaper, and "Learn" is only for registered external MIDI controllers.

miscend

20 Feb 2020

madmacman wrote:
20 Feb 2020
miscend wrote:
20 Feb 2020

Do you think it's worth that price?
That wasn‘t your questioning the first run. :mrgreen:

But honestly: Since I never say „never“, I wouldn’t buy at that price tag - no matter how good it is (or worth that price as you say). Sooner or later I would upgrade and get it for free. And usually I‘m a patient guy. Players are more the bells & whistles to me, but not indespendable core tools.
Yes it seems quite steep for what looks like a very useful utility device. I think its priced to discourage people from buying it on its own. Even if you were super determined to continue using R10, buying the upgrade or the suite makes much more sense, and then using the new devices inside R10 since they are compatible with prior Reason releases.

Crumbfort

20 Feb 2020

Hmm, I'm using Reaper and the Rack plugin is just simply not sending CC messages out. Everything is hooked up properly in the plugin instance, and the MIDI out module shows the CV activity, but no dice.
Descent: Legends of the Dark // Darkeport Productions // The LotR: ACG // Blue Zones (Netflix) // Chef's Table (Netflix)

(Composer for visual media / Adeptus Mechanicus Synthseer)

Social Exodus

20 Feb 2020

Crumbfort wrote:
20 Feb 2020
Hmm, I'm using Reaper and the Rack plugin is just simply not sending CC messages out. Everything is hooked up properly in the plugin instance, and the MIDI out module shows the CV activity, but no dice.
Reaper devs might have that fixed by tomorrow lol
:reason: 11 Suite/12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

chimp_spanner

20 Feb 2020

Downloaded Reaper to take a look but I don't know how to get RRP to show up as a MIDI source. Or, in fact, how to use the program haha.

• Information