Reason 11.2 is here!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
chimp_spanner

20 Feb 2020

tanni wrote:
20 Feb 2020
I dont see the to track function, nor the pattern buttons on the new Beat Map Player. So I only can record the notes into the sequencer in realtime while record is on ?
Assuming you're talking about RRP, the MIDI export/drag function only relates to pattern devices; OctoRex, ReDrum, Matrix. Any of the original Reason devices that have pattern lanes.

I would very much like to see click and drag for Players. I've mulled over how it'd work though. Rex, ReDrum and Matrix all have fixed pattern lengths. Where a Player has an indeterminate/potentially infinite length. And...I'm only guessing here...but I don't *think* plugins can read the locator positions, so there'd be no way for RRP to know how long the Player pattern should be. My own thoughts on this have been to have a Player pattern length control at the header of the plugin. Then all it would need to do is read the transport position (which is accessible by plugins) and then any player chains in that RRP will create a MIDI clip of x bars when you click and drag.

I know absolutely nothing about coding plugins though so maybe it's easier said than done. But if you look at other plugins that offer click and drag MIDI clips they all have one thing in common; fixed pattern length or some kind of timeline.

eXode

20 Feb 2020

MattiasHG wrote:
20 Feb 2020
Ermitage wrote:
20 Feb 2020
Will BeatMap also be included in version 12 (standard and suite)?
When there is a Reason 12, yes absolutely. Beat Map is built-in to Reason—just like Radical Piano or Grain.
RT Fixed. ;)

chimp_spanner

20 Feb 2020

eXode wrote:
20 Feb 2020
MattiasHG wrote:
20 Feb 2020

When there is a Reason 12, yes absolutely. Beat Map is built-in to Reason—just like Radical Piano or Grain.
RT Fixed. ;)
That's because they're ditching numbers. The next version will be called REASON ETERNAL.

And yes, it will be entirely in caps.

buddard
RE Developer

20 Feb 2020

chimp_spanner wrote:
20 Feb 2020
I would very much like to see click and drag for Players. I've mulled over how it'd work though. Rex, ReDrum and Matrix all have fixed pattern lengths. Where a Player has an indeterminate/potentially infinite length. And...I'm only guessing here...but I don't *think* plugins can read the locator positions, so there'd be no way for RRP to know how long the Player pattern should be. My own thoughts on this have been to have a Player pattern length control at the header of the plugin. Then all it would need to do is read the transport position (which is accessible by plugins) and then any player chains in that RRP will create a MIDI clip of x bars when you click and drag.
Actually both RRP and the Players can see the locations on the L and R locators, so that's not the problem.

It's rather due to the fact that Players respond to (or even depend on) MIDI input and/or pattern automation to function, and RRP can't access the host DAWs sequencer data.
And RRP can't access the Player's internal data either, since there's no standard format for this. Each developer can make up any implementation they want (as it should be). You have to actually run a Player to see what comes out of it, so each Player is a "black box" in this regard.
This is also why Send to track in Reason is basically a bounce operation in contrast to the "raw pattern export" from the legacy devices.

But if the host DAW has some kind of MIDI bounce function for MIDI fx plugins, you should probably be able to use that instead.
But I'm not familiar enough with other DAWs to know how they work.

KGB

20 Feb 2020

We all love Reason in some capacity, that's why we are here.

As of recently, Reason Studios has been listening and trying to add features, just have some patience.

Reason has been improving and can be improved, like anything else in society.

If 11.5 or 12 doesn't float your boat, you can still use Reason in another DAW, you just have to learn something new.

It's not hard to learn another DAW if you need to.

LittleBoy

20 Feb 2020

Advanced editing tools - NO
Scalable interface - NO
4K support - NO
Track folders - NO
Video support - NO
VST3 support - NO
External MIDI instrument/effect (audio+MIDI with no latency) - NO
Score editor - NO
Link 2.0 update - NO
VST multitimbral MIDI - NO
iPad control app - NO
VST MIDI support - NO

MIDI OUT for the rack plug-in - YES
A new player that nobody had asked for and that is designed for people who don't know how to program rhythms - YES

Oh yeah, another MASSIVE update from Reason Studios.

Good bye, Reason. Hello again, Logic.

joeyluck

20 Feb 2020

LittleBoy wrote:
20 Feb 2020
A new player that nobody had asked for and that is designed for people who don't know how to program rhythms - YES
I've never understood the attack on player devices and those who use them.

Stop using arpeggiators. Stop editing in the sequencer—learn to play correctly and play exactly what you intended to play from your MIDI keyboard the first time. Stop quantizing. Stop using LFOs to modulate things and instead assign MIDI knobs and record automation for the whole song. Use a real piano. Play real drums. Stop using software altogether.

sublunar

20 Feb 2020

Still not tempted to update from v10.

Just not enough going on to justify the cost, even when I can definitely afford it. It's all about what I think the price justifies. I went from 6 to 8 to 10 and it looks like the every-other-version tradition will continue. I had really hoped the core Reason DAW would have evolved more by now. Meh.

LittleBoy

20 Feb 2020

The attack was towards Reason Studios and its inability to order the needs of its users. I just pretended to be sarcastic.

stekme

20 Feb 2020

Does old projects that used EMI, can be opened in 11.2 under MIDI OUT with all automations of CC? No support problems?

ljekio

20 Feb 2020

New player is great (Buddard, how about half/normal/double tempo switch?), but this upgrade not for me again.

stekme

20 Feb 2020

LittleBoy wrote:
20 Feb 2020
iPad control app - NO
You can find 3rd part iOS app with Reason control, if needed.
New player - not for users who dont know how to program rhythms, it based on the Mutable Instruments popular eurorack module with Drum Maps (as I understand, partly). Its not just a pack of rhythm patterns... Its absolutely another way to create rhythms without real note-sequencing. Its more as AI, that you can control. Or better to say - its real drum sequencing maps. That work really well and usable. Its not the same as using simple rhythm generators. Its controlled drum seq maps that you can like to use, also if you love write drum lines deeply.
Mutable GRIDS is not just a module to play ready parts of sequences for drums.. And this new player - more interesting than this module.

Zac

20 Feb 2020

aeox wrote:
20 Feb 2020
DJMaytag wrote:
20 Feb 2020

No, I want to send MIDI data from a VST (Chtulu, Nerve, D16’s drum boxes, and ABL3 VST mainly) to sequence Europa or Kong or another VST. I don’t want to send MIDI outside of stand-alone Reason.
That's in direct competition with players :twisted:
I know you're probably not being serious but in those terms they introduced VSTs in direct competition with REs. Seems an arbitrary decision to ring fence the MIDI Out capabilities of VSTs.

I'm sure there must be technical reasons for this as well but for me I would love to know if we'll ever get MIDI Out for VSTs?

I'm a bit in limbo at the moment between investing in another full version DAW and updating Reason one last time to 11 versus waiting it out for R12. I know what the evidence is suggesting I do but I really don't know if I have the patience to really learn Live. And it's not cheap.

Social Exodus

20 Feb 2020

These threads are massively entertaining from my cheap seats here in northern Idaho. Of course, how anyone feels about any update to any product, ever is entirely about viewpoint and where a person is musically and so on. There really is no good, bad, fantastic, bullshit or any other adjective that works over the entire spectrum of Reason users, so why people natter on and on about it mystifies me. I guess it's what passes as fun in some quarters lol

Since I just bit the bullet and upgraded to Reason Suite literally two days ago, AND I use Reason as my primary DAW AND I have a Reaper 6 license so I can use it in there as well AND I have a Panorama P4 that works in both Reason and Reaper (this is my vantage point) -- I am a happy camper to be getting free stuff on money I already spent. I'd say that if Reason isn't your cup of tea anymore, then move along to something else. Reaper is dirt cheap and runs amazing well. Not much in the way of plug-ins, but whoopsie, Reason 11 can be a plug in so for a $129 upgrade you can have everything you want. At least that's my take from the cheap seats here in northern Idaho :)
:reason: 11 Suite/12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

buddard
RE Developer

20 Feb 2020

ljekio wrote:
20 Feb 2020
New player is great (Buddard, how about half/normal/double tempo switch?), but this upgrade not for me again.
You can set the rate from 1/4 up to 1/64. :)

challism

20 Feb 2020

I think this update is great. It's an upgrate! Reason uses have been asking for MIDI out for as long as I can remember, and Reason Studios finally listened. Thank you for that, RS. I'm sure there are many more frequently asked for features and updates to come. But they will never have everything all the users are asking for. It's just not possible to please everyone, and if they did, the software would cost so much (do to all the development costs) and it would be so big, bloated and slow, nobody would buy it or want to use it.

Reason as a VST/plugin was a great idea because it opens up the software to new users. As much as many of you hate the idea that Reason doesn't cater to existing/loyal users, they need to continually bring in new users to pay them money. This allows them to keep their doors open and stay in business. They are, after all, a business whose goal is to make money, pay employees. I have no problem with them catering to new users, and it did improve Reason. We got new features which weren't just plugin related. Reason 11.5 hasn't dropped yet, either. You all could see more surprise updates to come. Your feature request could very well be next. I would be surprised to see another update without some attention to Reason as a DAW (such as the sequencer). I really feel like focus on improving the sequencer is next. All that being said, I'm still on R10. I didn't see a need to upgrade to R11, but I'm not going to batch about 11. I'm just not going to upgrade until I see something I must have in the next upgrade (or 2 or 3, who knows).

I want to give a shout out to Robotic Bean, one of the very best RE Devs to be sure. I am so happy to see you guys got to collaborate with Reason Studios. How cool is that? I love it. Congratulations for that. I hope there are more collaborations in the works. Your new Player looks so cool. I'm on V10, so I'm going to have to wait to own it. It will be mine, eventually.
Social Exodus wrote:
20 Feb 2020
These threads are massively entertaining from my cheap seats here in northern Idaho.
I was born and raised in Boise. So it's great to see another user here from Idaho. I've been living in Vietnam for the past 7 years, but Idaho is still USA home. Anyway, I had to give a shout out to you, since there are only a bit over a million of us on the planet. You are living in God's country, my friend! Cheers! :)
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Alrek

20 Feb 2020

Unfortunately the Reason rack plugin is still not resizable in Logic Pro X with this update. :(
Therefor the Midi out functionality and especially the CV output routing is an amazing workflow boost for me. :thumbs_up:

LittleBoy

20 Feb 2020

Reason already had MIDI out. All they have done is to improve the MIDI device that was already in the rack, and they have done so to integrate MIDI out into the plug-in.

The MIDI out improvement is quite small. They could have added audio to use as a VST (such as Logic, Live, Studio One, Cubase). They could have added multitimbral MIDI in VST instruments. They could have added support for MIDI effects.

They have only slightly improved a module that already existed. Nothing else.

Alrek

20 Feb 2020

Well for me this update enables to use players with AU instruments in Logic so it is huge for me.
That is what I meant with midi out support. Sorry for any confusion.

Kalm

20 Feb 2020

Yea... this update actually makes sense. I'll be using this Beat Map player as this can get really good when trying to do live drum feely stuff I've been wanting to get better at.

But seriously, if they're not focused on core DAW decisions, stop barraging the something like it's going to change tomorrow. Do what other people have done and leave. The fact they invested in a new player that has flexibility and sensible features ensures that Reason is and will be what is intended to be. Move with the market or stay with your old gear. All I cared about was whether or not the platform will die but alas we're still getting new stuff.

At this point that's all some of us need. Reason is used for more than a standalone DAW and started off without that concept so honestly stop trying to make it what its not. If it's not in the roadmap then you're only getting upset for what it doesn't do for YOU. How about those people go pick up Pro Tools, LUNA, or Ableton. Save on upgrades and put that money in a new DAW. Honestly not one of these DAWs are perfect so yea

COMPLAINING IS ABSOLUTELY USELESS
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

xboix

20 Feb 2020

My verdict is...

Su-fucking-perb!

Midi out in RRP is a killer feature and it's nice to fix those problem VSTs like Cherry Audio and Mastering the Mix.

Thank you.

nooomy

20 Feb 2020

MattiasHG wrote:
20 Feb 2020
Hey ReasonTalk, as some of you might've noticed already we just released Reason 11.2! This is a free update for Reason 11 and it includes some real nice things—including a brand new Player (in Reason 11/Reason 11 Suite) and MIDI out from the Reason Rack Plugin. Just launch Reason 11 to auto-update!

You can read the complete release notes here: https://www.reasonstudios.com/en/reason ... ease-notes
You can read some more of what I have to say about it here: https://www.reasonstudios.com/blog/midi ... ack-plugin
We'll have even more to show you about Beat Map on Monday, but you can check it out inside Reason 11.2 already or on this page: https://www.reasonstudios.com/en/reason ... s/beat-map

Hope you like it :)
Any plans on adding midi out from vsts inside reason?

Or is this the “reason way”?

manisnotabird

20 Feb 2020

Do the features on the topographical map have any relationship to the drum groove created, or are they totally arbitrary eye candy?

Loque

20 Feb 2020

manisnotabird wrote:
20 Feb 2020
Do the features on the topographical map have any relationship to the drum groove created, or are they totally arbitrary eye candy?
The maps locator modulates the density AFAIU.
Reason12, Win10

CephaloPod

20 Feb 2020

Reason within Logic is a total beast now!
2011 iMac i7; 24 GB RAM; OSX Sierra; Nektar LX 49; MOTU Microbook
Reason/Logic

• Information