#ReasonBeatmaking

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Question: Do you relate to this hashtag? Do these sort of devices pique your interest?

Yes
28%
No
72%

Total votes: 47
aeox
Competition Winner

20 Feb 2020

Not sure why it has to be touted as a beatmaking device. The player can be used for glitchy fills or anything really. Changing the text "kick", "snare", "hat", "perc" to key values instead.

In the end it doesn't matter much I guess

orthodox
RE Developer

20 Feb 2020

aeox wrote:
20 Feb 2020
Not sure why it has to be touted as a beatmaking device. The player can be used for glitchy fills or anything really. Changing the text "kick", "snare", "hat", "perc" to key values instead.

Yeah but those maps are based on the actual beat traditions and practices. In that sense, kick and snare will always be a "kick" and a "snare" no matter what keys you attach to them.

aeox
Competition Winner

20 Feb 2020

orthodox wrote:
20 Feb 2020
aeox wrote:
20 Feb 2020

Yeah but those maps are based on the actual beat traditions and practices. In that sense, kick and snare will always be a "kick" and a "snare" no matter what keys you attach to them.
Yea it makes sense. The way I'm using it just completely different to what it's intended for so I didn't think about that. Changing the text wouldn't make sense but I think having a different name like Pattern map, groove map, etc would work better for a broader range of artists. Just in terms of marketing the product.

QVprod

20 Feb 2020

Busta US wrote:
20 Feb 2020
Do this with one Reason device. I challenge you:

Assuming you’re referring to the drums, this could be done with Drum Sequencer or Redrum using pattern automation.

dioxide

20 Feb 2020

Yes. I use Redrum a lot. The new RS Players aren't as fully featured as Redrum, and MIDI mapping is basic. Beatmaker suggests to me someone using an MPC. Try using a MPC style MIDI controller with one of the new Drum Players and see how far you get...

w1pl0c

20 Feb 2020

Busta US wrote:
20 Feb 2020

Soudiere is :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Reasonable man

21 Feb 2020

In the 'general' electronic genre or genres which are most often eperimental/fresh/unique (or whatever the correct term is) that i listen to; it is obvious (to me anyway) that the drums are painstakingly constructed both from a sound design perspective and a rhythmic perspective and are to me most probably contructed to fit around the groove of the track whether that be a synth line or a bassline or a vocal etc etc .
To me this says that its hard to beat old fashioned programming 'craftmanship' if you like. I think this is because there is a greater chance of a more personal flavour to your drum track which is what separates it from the varoius beatmaking machines and their pre- determined loops and algorhythms that, despite further editing etc, may still exibit part of the cold/robotic nature their were designed/programmed with in the first place.
Music i guess is about expression and since drums and percussion is suach a huge part of electronic music i think persisting with a more diy approach will always yield more unique and satisfying results . Its harder and will take longer but i for one am trying to write/programme my drums in the reason sequencer latley (nudjing hits forwards and backwards in increments if necessary!) and although the majority of my beats sound like dog-shit at first this way.. they will always be more relevent to the feel of the track i'm trying to wite and therfore more personal.
i've tried taking shortcuts with beatmaking machines such as the ones mentioned in this thread but i guess i'm happier trying to make my own rthymic beats sound less like dog-shit for now.
Kong is still the one i use but sometimes the same samples sound better out of umph not all the time just sometimes which is something i'm at a loss to explain

guitfnky

21 Feb 2020

in fairness to RS, I was glad to see that they actually defined what they meant by “beat making” very broadly in the rollout video. they’re not trying to sell this as a one-genre sort of device (which I guess isn’t really surprising).

and to the poster who suggested they’ve got a long way to go with such devices, because there needs to be an aspect of evolution or randomness to creating beats like that, well, I would have to disagree...because, well, all you need to do to add those things to this device is to throw another player on top of or after this one, or use CV to control some of the parameters over time. instant variation. 👍🏼
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Busta US

21 Feb 2020

w1pl0c wrote:
20 Feb 2020
Busta US wrote:
20 Feb 2020

Soudiere is :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
Indeed! Listen to his whole crew Purple Posse! They all produce, mix and master on FL Studio 12, including Soudiere of course 👍🏻

• Information