Importing 16 channel Midi to ONE track

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Trygve Larsen

17 Feb 2020

Is there a way to do this. OR, what is the most easy way to get all the midi channels/tracks to ONE track, if it's not possible? I have a new setup in Kontakt, with full GM compatible multi instrument, that I set to default multi instrument, and it load it a new, for every 16 tracks if I replace the 16+ ID8 instrument with Kontakt, and Reason freezes.. I have 32 Gb ram, so will 64Gb ram take it? Or is it also a CPU problem?

In Band in a Box, it works, because all the imported midifiles goes to ONE track, so I need only ONE instance of my default Kontakt to play ALL 16 channels., and my Kontakt multi responding well to patch changes. The problem with BiaB is that it does NOT detect any BPM changes and plays the whole midifile with same BPM. SO that is useless for many midifiles.

IF, it's not an easy way to do this, what other DAW can do it? I have a HUGE project going on, where I need this to be done..

xboix

17 Feb 2020

Not something I've ever tried in Reason and it's exactly the sort of thing I'd expect Reason to be very poor at given the somewhat less than comprehensive sequencer functionality.

You're probably better off using something like Studio One. It allows multiple MIDI tracks to drive one instance of a VST instrument so would be perfect for your application. You would not have everything in a single track. You would have one track per channel all pointing at the same instance of Kontakt.

DJMaytag

18 Feb 2020

I am pretty sure that Reason was never designed to be compatible with multi-channel VST’s, since Reason’s devices were never multi-channel, as far as MIDI goes.

Trygve Larsen

19 Feb 2020

Ok, thank's for replying, xboix and DJMaytag.. I guess I have to ask support if it is a good workaround within Reason then.. Who knows what they know... ;)

jam-s

19 Feb 2020

I think the only (kludgy) workaround right now is to put External Midi Interfaces on your 16 tracks in Reason and set those up to virtual midi ports that will then be combined and sent to Kontakt standalone. Then you will also have to catch the audio from Kontakt with a virtual Audio cable or some loopback (cable or built in option of your audio interface).

• Information