Sample rate jumps back to 48000. Normal? (Resolved. Probably)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

16 Feb 2020

If I go in on Audio Preferences, Reason 10.4 and try to adjust the sample rate to either 44100 or 96000 it immediately jumps back to 48000. Anybody tell me why? Thanks
Last edited by MrFigg on 18 Feb 2020, edited 1 time in total.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

aeox
Competition Winner

16 Feb 2020

Are you on WIndows?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

16 Feb 2020

aeox wrote:
16 Feb 2020
Are you on WIndows?
Yes. Windows 10.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

aeox
Competition Winner

16 Feb 2020

MrFigg wrote:
16 Feb 2020
aeox wrote:
16 Feb 2020
Are you on WIndows?
Yes. Windows 10.
Check these settings to make sure it's not set to 48000.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

16 Feb 2020

aeox wrote:
16 Feb 2020
MrFigg wrote:
16 Feb 2020

Yes. Windows 10.

Thanks aeox. That dialogue box looks familiar. I’ve just gone out with the kids but I’ll check when I get back home. Appreciated.
Incidentally, does it make a lot of difference in terms of either sound or performance?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

16 Feb 2020

aeox wrote:
16 Feb 2020
MrFigg wrote:
16 Feb 2020

Yes. Windows 10.

Right...messed about a little...I've got Balance set as my default device and the only options are:

2 channel, 16 bit, 48000Hz (studio quality)
2 channel, 24 bit, 48000Hz (studio quality)
2 channel, 32 bit, 48000Hz (studio quality)

The default is the 32bit option.

If I go in on the Realtek speakers I get all the options but changing them doesn't make any difference to what's going on in Reason. I'm guessing because Balance is the default device and I'm using the Balance driver.

Should I change the quality of Balance to 24bit to match the Realtek settings (no option for 32bit on the Realtek) or doesn't it matter? Thanks for the help.

Edit: I just disabled the Realtek device as I don't actually have any speakers connected to my pc. Using monitors direct from Balance.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

PhillipOrdonez

16 Feb 2020

MrFigg wrote:
16 Feb 2020
aeox wrote:
16 Feb 2020

Right...messed about a little...I've got Balance set as my default device and the only options are:

2 channel, 16 bit, 48000Hz (studio quality)
2 channel, 24 bit, 48000Hz (studio quality)
2 channel, 32 bit, 48000Hz (studio quality)

The default is the 32bit option.

If I go in on the Realtek speakers I get all the options but changing them doesn't make any difference to what's going on in Reason. I'm guessing because Balance is the default device and I'm using the Balance driver.

Should I change the quality of Balance to 24bit to match the Realtek settings (no option for 32bit on the Realtek) or doesn't it matter? Thanks for the help.

Edit: I just disabled the Realtek device as I don't actually have any speakers connected to my pc. Using monitors direct from Balance.
Not familiar with balance, but as other sound cards, it should have the option to switch between sample rates in a dedicated hardware settings panel.

Oquasec

16 Feb 2020

Uninstall drivers then reinstall. Had that issue with focusrite once.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Proboscis

16 Feb 2020

I've had all sorts of problems with rates changing, especially when using OBS Screen Capture. And in my recent trialing of Cakewalk, the craziest stuff happens. Often when I launch it (default is set to 48 in CW), it will force the driver to 96, and no dropdown option to change it. I've reinstalled drivers, changed drivers, nothing. For whatever ... uh... reason... Reason sometimes reverts the sound settings to 48 - I'm ok with that, but it's still a deeper issue that I need to get to the bottom of (because I really need to do some screencasts this year).

And I too am using Balance ASIO (and Balance), so I haven't entirely discounted that it's a problem with the interface. No doubt you've also encountered some other problems with this product (such as not detecting on reboot, balance.sys BSODS).

I found a thread on Cakewalk's forums that goes into more detail about rates changing randomly, and while it's not specific to either Reason or Balance, some of the advice may help you. I haven;t sat down to go through it on my end, but it's bookmarked for future reference. Here is the link, and have a read from one of the (incredibly helpful!) CW staff members Noel Borthwick, particularly his second contribution towards the end of page 1.

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php? ... n-the-fly/

Proboscis

16 Feb 2020

Hmmmm... here we go.

First, a CAVEAT. I'm no IT guy, so tread carefully in the Registry Editor

I just took a look at my PC, from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ASIO and discovered that there are four ASIOs

>
asio.PNG
asio.PNG (2.82 KiB) Viewed 11747 times
>
Maybe someone can suggest whether it's a good idea to delete all but one of those ASIOs ? And could this cause sample rate changes ? In my troubleshooting, it does appear that different audio related applications is forcing sample rate changes (perhaps reverting to other drivers by default ? )

aeox
Competition Winner

18 Feb 2020

Did you get this resolved?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

18 Feb 2020

aeox wrote:
18 Feb 2020
Yes. I think so. Sorry. I’ve been working nights and came home this morning with a high fever. Shaking and sweating and generally feeling crap.

I checked out Balance in Windows audio control panel and there only is three options all of them 48000 (studio quality). AsI wrote above must be the default for that hardware. (Reinstalling the drivers didn’t change anything).
I chose a different driver in the Reason audio settings and lo and behold was able to select from a whole range of sample rates.

So I guess that’s probably the answer. Thanks for the help and sorry for not writing sooner.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

aeox
Competition Winner

18 Feb 2020

MrFigg wrote:
18 Feb 2020
aeox wrote:
18 Feb 2020
Yes. I think so. Sorry. I’ve been working nights and came home this morning with a high fever. Shaking and sweating and generally feeling crap.

I checked out Balance in Windows audio control panel and there only is three options all of them 48000 (studio quality). AsI wrote above must be the default for that hardware. (Reinstalling the drivers didn’t change anything).
I chose a different driver in the Reason audio settings and lo and behold was able to select from a whole range of sample rates.

So I guess that’s probably the answer. Thanks for the help and sorry for not writing sooner.
Oh no worries, just checking.

Ah, I just got over the flu and then got hit with a common cold right after. Been sick for about 10 days, AAGH!

Wish you a speedy recovery!

MrFigg
Competition Winner

18 Feb 2020

aeox wrote:
18 Feb 2020
MrFigg wrote:
18 Feb 2020

Oh no worries, just checking.

Ah, I just got over the flu and then got hit with a common cold right after. Been sick for about 10 days, AAGH!

Wish you a speedy recovery!
Thanks man. Don’t remember the last time I was this decked. Lying on the sofa playing Olde English Folk records and drinking tea with honey. Could be worse.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

exxx

26 Apr 2020

balance said there was a problem with the driver, and reasonstudio didn't help because the support was over.

I am also a balance user

To sum up, installing the asio4all driver could potentially fix it.

I also solved the problem of sound reproduction in a different daw than reason, and then solved it by installing asio4all.

The last thing I want to say is, let's leave the balance quickly

jappe

26 Apr 2020

MrFigg wrote:
18 Feb 2020
aeox wrote:
18 Feb 2020

Hmm...what other driver did you select?

I have disabled my other onboard audio drivers since I need the Balance ASIO driver for latency reasons.

I verified that this issue is in Melodyne too, so I guess some Windows patch broke it.

When I first started Melodyne, then it seemed to work: my default was 44.1KHz, stable...but then I had to try changing it to 96000Hz...I had to press the button that says don't press this button...and now I can't get it back to 44.1KHz.

Good thing I don't run a nuclear plant.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

26 Apr 2020

jappe wrote:
26 Apr 2020
MrFigg wrote:
18 Feb 2020

I have disabled my other onboard audio drivers since I need the Balance ASIO driver for latency reasons.

I verified that this issue is in Melodyne too, so I guess some Windows patch broke it.

When I first started Melodyne, then it seemed to work: my default was 44.1KHz, stable...but then I had to try changing it to 96000Hz...I had to press the button that says don't press this button...and now I can't get it back to 44.1KHz.

DX Primary Sound driver
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

jappe

01 May 2020

MrFigg wrote:
26 Apr 2020
jappe wrote:
26 Apr 2020

DX Primary Sound driver
Ok, that's a workaround that would give quite some latency I assume.

FYI I resolved my issue and I believe the remedy simply was to reinstall Reason .
I first experimented with reverting to old restore points without success, until I bricked my machine (yes, ofc I tried the more complex risky medicines first...) ....but was finally able to revert to the most recent restore point. I then reinstalled Reason-->works now with the Balance ASIO driver.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

01 May 2020

jappe wrote:
01 May 2020
MrFigg wrote:
26 Apr 2020

DX Primary Sound driver

FYI I resolved my issue and I believe the remedy simply was to reinstall Reason .
I first experimented with reverting to old restore points without success, until I bricked my machine (yes, ofc I tried the more complex risky medicines first...) ....but was finally able to revert to the most recent restore point. I then reinstalled Reason-->works now with the Balance ASIO driver.
Good you fixed it but that’s weird. I just assumed that Balance was set to a default 48000 studio quality. Using any other driver I can choose whatever quality I want. I recently reinstalled my whole OS and the Balance driver only allows me 48000.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

jappe

01 May 2020

MrFigg wrote:
01 May 2020
jappe wrote:
01 May 2020

Good you fixed it but that’s weird. I just assumed that Balance was set to a default 48000 studio quality. Using any other driver I can choose whatever quality I want. I recently reinstalled my whole OS and the Balance driver only allows me 48000.
Gah...I seemed to have "fixed" it, until I increased the buffer size from 256 to 512 to make my current project run without problems. That action triggered the problem: It automatically set itself to 96000 Hz now, and if I change to 44.1 or 48000 it again automatically sets it back to 96000.
Just like this:

• Information