This new "thing" RS working on, will it be included in R11?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Yonatan

12 Feb 2020

Have been a bit curious to upgrade lately to R11, from R10, not so much there for me at the moment, but if the new thing RS are working on is something that is connected and will be included in a 11.2 update, and there is a midi out on the way to the Rack Plugin (to use the players on external VSTs in other DAWs) then I might finally see a value in upgrading (because not even God knows when R12 comes out!).

Guess we will have to wait and see as always. Noticed there are many RE:s in "Hot Deals" section in the shop now, so that tells me they maybe know that something is coming and try to sell their RE:s in advance of whatever RS comes out with. Can be wrong but seen this pattern before.
Last edited by Yonatan on 23 Feb 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Loque

12 Feb 2020

Something new? What do i missed? Do you mean the MIDI out in the VST Rack?
Reason12, Win10

Yonatan

12 Feb 2020

Loque wrote:
12 Feb 2020
Something new? What do i missed? Do you mean the MIDI out in the VST Rack?
RS has gone out on "Fakebook" at least 2 times that those who are in Sthlm could be invited to come by the office and test something they are "working on". Someone wrote in a comment there that he thought it could be useful and a time saver, but that a few might leave Reason for good (as always then). :) It was described as "a new take on something most of us do" (from memory).

So this first FB post was early December, so this "something" should be out soon, at least this spring. But when RS are working on something new, one can never be 100% sure that it will be a part of Reason 11 or if it is something separate.
As the Midi Out on the Rack is very welcome I am on the fence to maybe upgrade. But if RS comes out with something new that cost extra and could be used with R10, then one might get pissed off for upgrading to 11. So better wait. Chances are the midi out and that "Thing" are being released at same time...

Jackjackdaw

12 Feb 2020

I'm waiting for Midi out before I upgrade as well. As far as the 'Thing' goes, I'm cringing already. There is fairly broad consensus I think about what would improve Reason. If it's not an answer to the many feature requests then this 'Thing' needs to be bloody mind blowing and i fear it won't be.

Yonatan

12 Feb 2020

Jackjackdaw wrote:
12 Feb 2020
I'm waiting for Midi out before I upgrade as well. As far as the 'Thing' goes, I'm cringing already. There is fairly broad consensus I think about what would improve Reason. If it's not an answer to the many feature requests then this 'Thing' needs to be bloody mind blowing and i fear it won't be.
At least there surely will be lively discussions in ReasonTalk. Holding my breath. I welcome something new, but I really hope we can get some core adds too, if not now, then at 11.3. I want some boring DAW stuff that just sits there without any showoff charm, just plain vitamins.

chaosroyale

12 Feb 2020

The "new thing" has been teased for around a year* now maybe? Apparently the "new thing" is more important than actually fixing all the problems with the DAW. And maybe it is. It could be something amazing that will put RS back onto the cutting edge of music software developers, and everyone will say "this is much better than having a Combinator 2 and a hi-res UI in Reason"

I don't have the imagination, experience or skills to guess what on Earth that "thing" could be. I hope they surprise me and I have to eat a slice of crow.

*edit - not a year at the time of writing: a couple of months. my mistake.
Last edited by chaosroyale on 15 Feb 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Yonatan

12 Feb 2020

Would be interesting to hear someone who has been there to try it. Understand that they are not allowed to tell what it is, but maybe they could guess if it would be likely to be part of an R11 update or if it is just something else altogether.

chaosroyale

12 Feb 2020

Nah, an NDA is an NDA. The devs don't need things to be made more difficult by internet leaks, no matter how small they may seem.
Yonatan wrote:
12 Feb 2020
Would be interesting to hear someone who has been there to try it. Understand that they are not allowed to tell what it is, but maybe they could guess if it would be likely to be part of an R11 update or if it is just something else altogether.

Creativemind

12 Feb 2020

Whatever this thing is, I want this thing. It sounds amazing. Lol!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

12 Feb 2020

chaosroyale wrote:
12 Feb 2020
Nah, an NDA is an NDA. The devs don't need things to be made more difficult by internet leaks, no matter how small they may seem.
Yonatan wrote:
12 Feb 2020
Yeah telling you whether it's a specific Reason related thing wouldn't be giving anything away really.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Yonatan

12 Feb 2020

chaosroyale wrote:
12 Feb 2020
Yonatan wrote:
12 Feb 2020
One interesting aspect of this frequent inviting on social media of "testing a new thing we are working on" is that it is just a part of the marketing thing. Do they really need to invite on FB? No, it is partly to get speculation going and build up some "what can it be" discussions, and show some communication to break the silence. But RS have shown no sneak peak pictures yet so it is not very easy to speculate about. Hard to know if it is in alpha or beta or whatever. :)
I want it to be a surprise, don´t seek any spoiler, but a sneak peak would be good from RS, to see if it may be considered as expected to be part of an R11 update. If it takes 3 months extra to get that thing out, a few of us might take a chance and upgrade a bit earlier than otherwise (and save their servers). If it is allowed for someones in Stockholm to come in and test, then it at least is not a nuclear bomb rocket science NDA that could destroy the world. But yes, a NDA is what it is, so better not say anything as that may anyway be shown incorrect. But I hope it wont take months to get it finished.
Last edited by Yonatan on 12 Feb 2020, edited 2 times in total.

joeyluck

12 Feb 2020

chaosroyale wrote:
12 Feb 2020
The "new thing" has been teased for around a year now maybe? Apparently the "new thing" is more important than actually fixing all the problems with the DAW. And maybe it is. It could be something amazing that will put RS back onto the cutting edge of music software developers, and everyone will say "this is much better than having a Combinator 2 and a hi-res UI in Reason"

I don't have the imagination, experience or skills to guess what on Earth that "thing" could be. I hope they surprise me and I have to eat a slice of crow.
There's something that has been teased for a year? Do you have any references to this?

Yonatan

12 Feb 2020

They are always working on something, but this seems to be a certain "thing" :)

Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

12 Feb 2020

There was this short thread in December from their Twitter feed and a response from someone on FB:
7F9129B4-E004-4734-BCC0-4546A6CCDE29.jpeg
7F9129B4-E004-4734-BCC0-4546A6CCDE29.jpeg (874.36 KiB) Viewed 8422 times
I’m not aware of any new information regarding this.

Yonatan

12 Feb 2020

Thanks for sharing it Timmy!

"a new thing" and "cool and different thing" made me wonder if it is something different from Reason, thus not part of R11, but maybe something that can be used with or alongside Reason. We will soon see. :)

Marc Swing

12 Feb 2020

If I'm going to speculate, I think it will be a web-based Reason (to produce music through the browser) to always have access to Reason and that maybe they will have a web cloud where you can have your Rack Extansions so you can access them wherever you are as long as you have an internet connection.

Given that they have shown us that you can run Reason through the browser on a youtube video a while ago.

jam-s

12 Feb 2020

Oh, Oh, might they be working on some new content for that tutorial pane?! That would be soooo awesome!

Not!

*scnr*

Proboscis

12 Feb 2020

The secret new development is codenamed 'Crowbar'

Because it's intended to pry money from our wallets.

demt

12 Feb 2020

rythmometrorama
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

Zac

12 Feb 2020

I thought it was REs running in hardware?

jlgrimes

12 Feb 2020

Marc Swing wrote:
12 Feb 2020
If I'm going to speculate, I think it will be a web-based Reason (to produce music through the browser) to always have access to Reason and that maybe they will have a web cloud where you can have your Rack Extansions so you can access them wherever you are as long as you have an internet connection.

Given that they have shown us that you can run Reason through the browser on a youtube video a while ago.

I remember a video was done awhile ago about using web based REs. So this does seem plausible.

plasticfractal

12 Feb 2020

I know nothing about it at all but my wild guess would be that it's some kind of automated song creation utility. Maybe it generates a multi track song automatically according to some parameters like style etc. Then you could tweak it to give it your own flavor. I amVproba ly way off though.

hurricane
Competition Winner

12 Feb 2020

I don't see how all your wild guesses fall into line with what the guy said.

Facebook guy gave two clues really

1. "A REFRESHING TAKE ON SOMETHING MOST PEOPLE DO TODAY"

and that it's going to save him both

2. "A LOT OF TIME AND EFFORT WITHOUT HAVING TO SACRIFICE COMPLEXITY AND DETAIL".

Since RS are all about the nOObs nowadays, I'll guess it's probably some band-in-the-box automatic arranger, like what this does:

Band-in-a-Box® is so easy to use! Just type in the chords for any song using standard chord symbols (like C, Fm7, or C13b9), choose the style you'd like, and Band-in-a-Box® does the rest... Band-in-a-Box® automatically generates a complete professional-quality arrangement of piano, bass, drums, guitar, and strings or horns.
RealTracks add the human element of great session musicians to your songs and with 202 more RealTracks available in version 2020 there is over 2,900 hours of studio musicians' recordings that you can use in your songs!

So basically, this new Reason utility will now write the music for you.

EDIT: i see plasticfractal and I had the same idea. :thumbs_up:
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

EnochLight

12 Feb 2020

You guys are hilarious. :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

moneykube

12 Feb 2020

a random kazoo player with integrated hum control.
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

• Information