Are there quicker ways?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
graeme75

10 Feb 2020

Hi

Ive been following Ableton Tutorials with Reason again and on to working with Audio Loops. Can someone either confirm or correct me about the following when working with Audio Loops in the sequencer

1) In Live when bringing in an audio clip it automatically time-stretches. In Reason do I always have to time stretch manually in the sequencer?

2) In Live previewing a loop sample in the browser will play at current project tempo. In Reason preview will play back at recorded tempo in browser?

3) In Live on a 4 bar audio loop, brings in loop brace to go from 1.3 to 2.3 and plays back over 8 bars. In Reason do I have to slice the audio at those points, and duplicate the sample to fill the sequencer for 8 bars?

Are there any other RE/quicker workflows. TIA

Cheers
Graeme

gullum

10 Feb 2020

reason does not time stretch automatically when adding a loop but will time stretch all audio if tempo is changed after the loops have been imported
same with previewing
only with REX files does it work as in Live

best way to work with loops is to set the tempo of your song to same as the loop then change tempo again after it is imported

Sterioevo

11 Feb 2020

I often prefer doing the legwork for bulk loops in reason. I set the desired tempo and then timestretch the clips using my ears to make sure they all fit together - eg syncing up 64 drum loops @ 4 bars. The right click export options are a superior approach to live imo - i.e. select all, export to new samples, then select the samples in the browser and export/save to disk. I then drop these into live, reason or hardware as required. When you know the tempo of the loops in Reason you set this before importing as mentioned above. I also like to add a bpm tag to the filename.

I prefer to work with larger files in Ableton though (particularly when working with multiple tracks/stems), and for this you have the option of turning auto warp off. I find the time stretching with transients and warp points more productive than working in Reason with stems.

• Information