Save Complex Device Setups for Future Use?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Mistro17

08 Feb 2020

I made a combinator with a mixer, drum player, Steve Slate Drums vst and a reverb. I find myself wanting to repeat this setup in new songs and I started wondering if there was a way to save any complex device setups to use in future projects so we don't have to go through the whole setup over and over again? So far I don't see a way but figure it don't hurt to ask.

EDIT: The one way I see to do this is to create the setup in a new project and save it as a template.

zoidkirb

08 Feb 2020

If it's a combinator then simply save the combinator patch?

Mistro17

08 Feb 2020

zoidkirb wrote:
08 Feb 2020
I just tried that but it only saves the combinator and not the instruments/players etc. Unless I'm missing something.

zoidkirb

08 Feb 2020

Mistro17 wrote:
08 Feb 2020
zoidkirb wrote:
08 Feb 2020
I just tried that but it only saves the combinator and not the instruments/players etc. Unless I'm missing something.
gotta double check every device is actually inside the combinator. drag them inside if needs be. it's definitely a feature of Reason to save complicated combi patches :)

Mistro17

08 Feb 2020

zoidkirb wrote:
08 Feb 2020
Mistro17 wrote:
08 Feb 2020

gotta double check every device is actually inside the combinator. drag them inside if needs be. it's definitely a feature of Reason to save complicated combi patches :)
My bad, it does work. I didn't think to click the "show devices" button when I loaded the saved combinator patch. Everything is in there. Thanks!

Jackjackdaw

09 Feb 2020

One thing you have to watch while making combinator devices is that if you drag devices in from other parts of the rack then they may still be connected to an external mix channel. This won't be saved in the combi patch so when you open it that device will not be making any sound. If you start your new combinator by dragging a line mixer to the rack then right clicking 'combine' then all new instruments dragged into the combi from the browser will auto route to the line mixer, saves a bit of time! Happy patching!

mcatalao
Competition Winner

09 Feb 2020

Mistro17 wrote:
08 Feb 2020
zoidkirb wrote:
08 Feb 2020
Yep, this.

I started saving my vst's as combinators because i can add the presets really fast to reason favorites, i can create combis of VST's, Re's (instruments, devices or players) and core devices all working together, and if you want you can add these combis to refills in the refill packer.

The only issue with this is that if for some reason you want to port this into another daw using reason rack plugin, it does not work. I don't plan to do it though... :)

• Information