User waves in Europa

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
thedjjudah

05 Feb 2020

Why does Europa keep producing metallic tones when I import my own waves? I sweep the wave shape and change the wavetable but nothing helps.

This is more of a learning question than a rant.

chimp_spanner

06 Feb 2020

Are you using User Wave smooth? It’s important to remember that you won’t just get a 1:1 recreation of the sample like in Grain. I guess if anything it’s more like Grain’s Osc mode, so the spacing of the cycles is consistent to preserve pitch, but the shape of each cycle is inherited from the user wave.

Also some source waves will work better than others. Trial and error really!

Jackjackdaw

06 Feb 2020

If you want to get a visual idea of what Europa is doing with your wave, open it in a device sample edit window and set a very short loop, just a few cycles of the waveform. Europa is basicly doing that and the sweep is moving that very short loop back and forth through the entire duration of the sample.

thedjjudah

07 Feb 2020

Thank you!

eXode

08 Feb 2020

Basically, if you have a Serum compatible wavetable, then User Wave should work fine for most of the time. But if you're using a sample, like a piano or a guitar, etc then User Wave Smooth usually works better. But, even when using User Wave Smooth, Europa will struggle with samples that have a lot of pitch variety.

One thing I noticed with Europa though is that when using a wavetable in User Wave mode the first frame must start and end at the zero crossing, otherwise you get a buzzing sound. Serum doesn't do this as long as the frame has the same start/end phase.

buzz-no_buzz.png
buzz-no_buzz.png (31.51 KiB) Viewed 421 times
Example:
Tri-Saw-Sqr_BuzzingTable.zip
(7.79 KiB) Downloaded 34 times

• Information