The "people" have spoken...Reason is 7th best

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
danc

07 Feb 2020

kitekrazy wrote:
06 Feb 2020
jlgrimes wrote:
05 Feb 2020

Number 7 is pretty good though. Reason is more popular than Pro Tools, Bitwig, Digital Performer.

They cut the list down as well this year as well so it is great that Reason made the cut.

The results aren't too surprising though. Most surprising was Studio One moved up to take Abletons typically number two spot. Studio One do tend to be a well liked DAW though once someone starts using it.
Reason was #4 last year. They gave away some nice stuff like Europa between 9-10. There was also an upgrade sale back then. They made some nice improvements back then. I don't think Reason as a VST is a wow among users. I've has a license since 4 and this one just doesn't scream to pay $129 for it. I can't imagine someone paying $400 just to use it as a VST in their DAW.
For us Reason owners it was a no brainer to get Studio One for £130 (or there abouts... In Studio Ones ten year sale. For the crossgrade from any other DAW). Cheaper than buying the next 3 or 4 Reason upgrades to get a small amount of DAW new features which already exist in S1.

Hear me right .. I love Reason and still use it. But for serious arrangement and proper mixing S1 has it nailed. So...fo us Reason users, getting another DAW and enjoying Reason whilst working in a really good production environment is in my mind the best of both worlds

As for migrating the other way... Buying Reason just to get the VST I agree is an expensive luxury
Check my Soundcloud:

Mint

07 Feb 2020

danc wrote:
07 Feb 2020
As for migrating the other way... Buying Reason just to get the VST I agree is an expensive luxury
Guys, to get all the VST + RE + Reason goodness inside any DAW - you only have to buy Reason intro At £69 €79. C'mon, that's got to be a contender for "Deal of the year" :o

kitekrazy

07 Feb 2020

Mint wrote:
07 Feb 2020
danc wrote:
07 Feb 2020
Guys, to get all the VST + RE + Reason goodness inside any DAW - you only have to buy Reason intro At £69 €79. C'mon, that's got to be a contender for "Deal of the year" :o
Nope. There's so much 3rd party stuff that is better.

jlgrimes

07 Feb 2020

kitekrazy wrote:
07 Feb 2020
Mint wrote:
07 Feb 2020

It depends on what you are into though. Yes there are some great synths at Reasons price point, but Reason gets you into a wealth of sounds, synths effects, samples, and a DAW.

The closest thing to Reason is Logic (in many cases Logic is better), but Logic is Mac only.

Komplete while more expensive has more powerful synths/samplers but no DAW.

Most other stuff is great individual synths that are usually more powerful than a comparable Reason synth/sampler but not as diverse as Reason.

Reason is basically a DAW/Plugin with a diverse range of sounds and audio effects.

Reason is somewhat in a unique weird position. IMO though if they improve their main DAW, while remaining a plugin, they could kill the game.

Only thing I'm concerned about is if people will look it over, over other stuff not understanding what all it can do.

DJMaytag

09 Feb 2020

I’m sure if Reason wasn’t so secure, it would be much higher on the list.

Aosta

10 Feb 2020

Fruity wins every year because it is the most cracked and the easiest to get to grips with by new DAW users and usually new DAW users are the most excitable about their new toy and more likely to vote.
Use what you like and take no notice of popularity polls.
Tend the flame

reddust

10 Feb 2020

Aosta wrote:
10 Feb 2020
Totally agree to this

Proboscis

10 Feb 2020

I really wish an unregulated poll from an online magazine that validated *my* DAW was a bit higher, because I feel so inadequate without positive re-inforcements . The most popular DAWs must of course make the best music. How many 'factor of 'x' ' must Reason be, to the negative, compared to the trending top listers ? Society (according to a poll that will never be counted by an impartial mediator), says that FL Studio is boss .And since so many pop hits are pure electronic rather than 'the band' playing, I might conclude then that using FL Studio will put me in the space of today's hitmakers.

Kalm

10 Feb 2020

danc wrote:
07 Feb 2020
kitekrazy wrote:
06 Feb 2020

Reason was #4 last year. They gave away some nice stuff like Europa between 9-10. There was also an upgrade sale back then. They made some nice improvements back then. I don't think Reason as a VST is a wow among users. I've has a license since 4 and this one just doesn't scream to pay $129 for it. I can't imagine someone paying $400 just to use it as a VST in their DAW.
For us Reason owners it was a no brainer to get Studio One for £130 (or there abouts... In Studio Ones ten year sale. For the crossgrade from any other DAW). Cheaper than buying the next 3 or 4 Reason upgrades to get a small amount of DAW new features which already exist in S1.

Hear me right .. I love Reason and still use it. But for serious arrangement and proper mixing S1 has it nailed. So...fo us Reason users, getting another DAW and enjoying Reason whilst working in a really good production environment is in my mind the best of both worlds

And the truth!
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

kitekrazy

10 Feb 2020

Aosta wrote:
10 Feb 2020
Fruity wins every year because it is the most cracked and the easiest to get to grips with by new DAW users and usually new DAW users are the most excitable about their new toy and more likely to vote.
I disagree. It's service after the sale. There is a big connection between user and developers. Every day there are Image Line staff members on their forum. They also have thick skin. Users don't have to buy updates. They spend more time developing their DAW instead of getting people to buy instruments.

Reason was #4 last year and Reason Studios is #7. I'll assume the drop is due to no upgrade sale like they did on a BF. They gave away Europa and some other stuff. They did some great things for Reason 9/10.

kitekrazy

10 Feb 2020

Proboscis wrote:
10 Feb 2020
I really wish an unregulated poll from an online magazine that validated *my* DAW was a bit higher, because I feel so inadequate without positive re-inforcements . The most popular DAWs must of course make the best music. How many 'factor of 'x' ' must Reason be, to the negative, compared to the trending top listers ? Society (according to a poll that will never be counted by an impartial mediator), says that FL Studio is boss .And since so many pop hits are pure electronic rather than 'the band' playing, I might conclude then that using FL Studio will put me in the space of today's hitmakers.
If the poll was for those creating music for video most of them wouldn't be in there. Cubase would probably be tops. Few DAWs were ever really good in that area. Most high end video apps are almost DAWs. Those wanting video support be careful for what you wish for.

kitekrazy

10 Feb 2020

jlgrimes wrote:
07 Feb 2020
kitekrazy wrote:
07 Feb 2020

It depends on what you are into though. Yes there are some great synths at Reasons price point, but Reason gets you into a wealth of sounds, synths effects, samples, and a DAW.

The closest thing to Reason is Logic (in many cases Logic is better), but Logic is Mac only.

Komplete while more expensive has more powerful synths/samplers but no DAW.

Most other stuff is great individual synths that are usually more powerful than a comparable Reason synth/sampler but not as diverse as Reason.

Reason is basically a DAW/Plugin with a diverse range of sounds and audio effects.

Reason is somewhat in a unique weird position. IMO though if they improve their main DAW, while remaining a plugin, they could kill the game.

Only thing I'm concerned about is if people will look it over, over other stuff not understanding what all it can do.
But there are many accusations less time is spent on the DAW. I doubt they would kill the game. People have been able to use Reason inside a DAW for ages. That was when the softsynth market wasn't so full of competition. VST support killed off the NN-XT and possibly other devices.

gullum

10 Feb 2020

don't care what a pool says Reason will always be my precious It may be the seventh ring but it rules them all

• Information