Reason v Live

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
graeme75

03 Feb 2020

Hi

I'm currently following some Live tutorials (but using reason 11 suite) and wondering if the following is possible in reason?

Stretch
In Impulse drum rack there is a function to stretch the drum sample.
Is this possible in Kong/Redrum/Umpf or an RE? I know you can stretch the slice markers of the audio but not sure how to do it in a device

Scenes
They use scenes a lot to build up an arrangement. I know Blocks can do something similar but it is not as 'on the fly' as Live
I have the JammeR module which does something similar, but all sound files need to be rex loops for this to be functional.
Is there a way to batch bounce several audio files to several rex loops simultaneously?
Is there anything else that comes close to Live's scenes in Reason?

TIA

Cheers
Graeme

Jackjackdaw

03 Feb 2020

No and no. Fraid not.

chimp_spanner

03 Feb 2020

graeme75 wrote:
03 Feb 2020
Hi

I'm currently following some Live tutorials (but using reason 11 suite) and wondering if the following is possible in reason?

Stretch
In Impulse drum rack there is a function to stretch the drum sample.
Is this possible in Kong/Redrum/Umpf or an RE? I know you can stretch the slice markers of the audio but not sure how to do it in a device

Scenes
They use scenes a lot to build up an arrangement. I know Blocks can do something similar but it is not as 'on the fly' as Live
I have the JammeR module which does something similar, but all sound files need to be rex loops for this to be functional.
Is there a way to batch bounce several audio files to several rex loops simultaneously?
Is there anything else that comes close to Live's scenes in Reason?

TIA

Cheers
Graeme
With regards to scenes, blocks is probably as easy as it gets in Reason. As for drum stretching, no drum module in Reason does this. BUT...what you can do is make your own time stretching drum rack and save it as a preset you can call up any time you need it. Few ways to do it but here’s what I did;

Combinator
Line Mixer or 14:2
4/8/x Grains

Tiny bit of setup required. In the combi programmer set it up so each grain is just on one key (start from C1).

And then on each grain set the sample window to full. The playback mode to One Shot. And ADSR to A0 D100 S0 R100. Key tracking to 0. Only have to do this once and then you can copy/paste that patch to the other Grains.

Then each Grain is like a drum module. Chuck samples into them, time stretch, use the different algorithms and the multi FX section and automate the heck out of it.

It’s a couple of minutes setup but once you save that patch you’ve got it handy whenever you need it.

I’ve started using the other samplers in Reason in place of the drum modules lately and getting really interesting results!

graeme75

03 Feb 2020

Thanks for this, interesting idea with grain.

kitekrazy

05 Feb 2020

Apples vs. oranges.
Live only allow 2 machines.
Reason - unlimited with online login.

2chris

07 Feb 2020

kitekrazy wrote:
05 Feb 2020
Apples vs. oranges.
Live only allow 2 machines.
Reason - unlimited with online login.
This isn’t technically true. Ableton officially says this online, but they let you exceed two installs, you can unauthorize a system you’re no longer using, plus you can contact them for additional unlocks if you need it. They are super chill and Trust/appreciate customers as long as you don’t abuse it.

• Information