BPM in loaded Midifiles

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Trygve Larsen

03 Feb 2020

Hi ! I'm new here, so this is my first post. (Hope it is the right forum) Just started using Reason 10 a few days ago. I mostly work with MIDI and observed today in a track that the BPM was to fast. Could change it when it played, but if I changed it before starting play, it just went back to the original BPM. Any way to change it permanently? I also checked the BPM in the VanBasco player, and there it was 100. In reason 120. So does Reason not read the BPM info in the Midifiles correctly?

2. I want to change the default ID8 player for some channels, The way I have found so far is; Right click ID8 and chose instrument. When instrument load, I have to click that left blue arrow on the new instrument to make a new track. Then drag and move the track from ID8 to the new Instrument. IF only ONE track, no problems. But it seems a little tedious to do it IF I want to change instrument for 16 tracks... ;) So, is there a simpler/faster way? Replace instrument, for instance?

And YES, I HAVE tried to read the manual, google it, a.s.f. but could not find anything about it so far.

Grateful for any answer and guidance for this.
BTW, I'm IMPRESSED how smoothly everything else is in this software... ;)

orthodox
RE Developer

03 Feb 2020

1. Check if your song (after loading a midi file) contains the Tempo automation lane in the Transport track in the Sequencer. If it is there, mute it and you'll be able to change the global tempo.
2. You can drag an instrument or an instrument patch file from the Browser on the left onto an ID8 device in the Rack that you want to replace.

Trygve Larsen

03 Feb 2020

Wow ! That simple? :o Thank's a lot ortodox.. Much appreciated..

Trygve Larsen

04 Feb 2020

Ok, I tried it, and it works great. So far so good.. BUT, when I have done that, and I want to try another VSTi in the same track, I'm stuck... Seems like the new one that I try to drag and drop OVER the fist one, does not work. SO, when I right-click the one loaded already, I again see noe option for REPLACE, only delete Devise AND track.. So how do I delete ONLY the device and NOT the track?

Edit; Sorry, seems like it was because I run R10 in Demo mode. I was able to register it after resetting my password, and now it works the way I was expecting...
Last edited by Trygve Larsen on 04 Feb 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Proboscis

04 Feb 2020

Trygve Larsen wrote:
04 Feb 2020
Ok, I tried it, and it works great. So far so good.. BUT, when I have done that, and I want to try another VSTi in the same track, I'm stuck... Seems like the new one that I try to drag and drop OVER the fist one, does not work. SO, when I right-click the one loaded already, I again see noe option for REPLACE, only delete Devise AND track.. So how do I delete ONLY the device and NOT the track?
Reason does allow you to replace a VST by dragging it over the existing VST. By 'over' I mean 'on top of', not 'above'. Make sure you're dragging the new one onto the existing one, and not on the MIX channel. It will be indicated by an orange circle, whereas if you see an orange cross, that's not going to put it where you want.

EDIT: I'm referring to dragging something from the left-side browser, and not using the right click menu options :thumbs_up:

Trygve Larsen

04 Feb 2020

Yes, thank's Proboscis.. I just edited my post after I found what was wrong.. Demo mode... ;)

Proboscis

04 Feb 2020

Trygve Larsen wrote:
04 Feb 2020
Yes, thank's Proboscis.. I just edited my post after I found what was wrong.. Demo mode... ;)
Good on you for working it out !

Have you discovered the power of the Combinator yet ? It's a great way to build your own custom sounds & FX from existing devices, all packaged (or 'Combined') into one utility. If you need some beginner tips on that, feel free to start a new thread and I'll chime in over the next few days. There's also a wealth of Youtube videos out there since it's pretty old. And Reason Studio's own channel has a great resource of help videos called '52 Reasons' done by James Bernard. He uses a fairly old version of Reason, but since not much has changed with the concept of the rack, the series is as relevant today as it was when first published.

Happy travels and rock on.

Trygve Larsen

05 Feb 2020

Oh, thank's for that Proboscis. It's GREAT to be here and experience so many helpful people... ;) No, I haven't had time to explore Combinator yet. But sure I will eventually. When I'm just finish figure out my main problem about REPLACING plugs, to be able to use the best in my library, Mainly Kontakt instrument..

As I told in my Edit, I THOUGHT my problem was Demo mode.. But afterward, I found it is NOT... NOW I log in, start a new Midi file, and BUH, cannot load, by drag and drop, my Kontakt instrument to more than ONE track... The other track just want take it... SO, what can the problem be? I tried to restart R10, to no avail...

Trygve Larsen

05 Feb 2020

And THEN, next track up, I can drag and drop to TWO track, but not to tree.. Hm, this is strange and frustrating... ;)

Trygve Larsen

06 Feb 2020

Ok, now I figured it out. I just forgot to click first on the instrument I wanted to drag and drop to.. Stupid me...;) So now it works... :roll:

• Information