Reason as VST - automation and MIDI learn

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
nesbo

01 Feb 2020

Heya,

I'm Reason fan for 15+ years and just figured out Reason 11 ships as VST and immediately bought brilliant Intro version. Thanks for this idea so much!

Now I have plugged it in Ableton Live and, as old Reason user, I would like to right click on a knob and say MIDI learn. Can't do that, which was one of my primary reasons to use Reason. In standalone version I can do it. What's the trick, do I have to use it as standard VST and do mappings in the host? I know Native Instruments VSTs do have that MIDI learn functionality.

Please help! Thanks!

jam-s

02 Feb 2020

I think there is a section on automating the Reason Rack VST plugin in the manual of Reason 11.

Sterioevo

02 Feb 2020

You have to use the configure button in the accompanying Ableton device container. You press configure, open the Reason VST and move knobs, these knobs will then be available/populate in the Ableton panel and can be automated from there - e.g. in a clip (session) or a lane (arrangement). I think there is a way to auto populate (options.txt?), but can get unruly quickly as the names are generic.

nesbo

21 Feb 2020

Great stuff, thanks!

ShelLuser

21 Feb 2020

nesbo wrote:
01 Feb 2020
Now I have plugged it in Ableton Live and, as old Reason user, I would like to right click on a knob and say MIDI learn. Can't do that, which was one of my primary reasons to use Reason.
Try changing the value, that should probably do the trick. Keep in mind though that automation support is kinda mediocre; you don't get a clear name of the parameter you're trying to automate, just a weird number. "Parameter 1502", "Parameter 1006", stuff like that.
--- :reason:

SebAudio

23 Feb 2020

ShelLuser wrote:
21 Feb 2020
nesbo wrote:
01 Feb 2020
Now I have plugged it in Ableton Live and, as old Reason user, I would like to right click on a knob and say MIDI learn. Can't do that, which was one of my primary reasons to use Reason.
Try changing the value, that should probably do the trick. Keep in mind though that automation support is kinda mediocre; you don't get a clear name of the parameter you're trying to automate, just a weird number. "Parameter 1502", "Parameter 1006", stuff like that.
I’ve seen the names of the parameters are numbers !!! :roll: It means it’s just useless. Not only for automation but also for remote controlling modules. Too bad. Reaktor blocks have proper names so maybe (again) in a next update ?

PhillipOrdonez

23 Feb 2020

I wouldn't call it useless. Just cumbersome. I've been happily using it since release. 😃

electrofux

02 Feb 2021

Can mappings be saved somehow depending on what is in the rack? EG i have a Rack with Europa and one with Thor but they have different number of banks, parameters and orders?

• Information