Help with MIDI foot controller

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
quincy_j_clomo

28 Jan 2020

Hey all! This is my first post. Apologies if this has already been addressed or if this is the wrong forum.

I use Reason for live performance- as a host for synths, an fx platform for instruments and vocals, and a mixer. I just bought a Meloaudio MIDI Commander foot controller to make my fx more accessible when playing instruments with my hands. I am having a bit of trouble integrating it into my rig as I had envisioned.

My original goal was to set the MIDI Commander as my main keyboard, so that whenever I targeted a track I could control some aspects with my feet. I had planned to set the buttons and expression pedal inputs to otherwise unused CC numbers, and assign those CC’s to specific parameters on a per-track basis. So for instance for my bass I could set the expression to be a wah-wah, but for my lap steel set it to be a volume pedal, or my vocals make it a reverb send, or whatever else I decide I want.

The problem I’m running into is that when I override remote mapping to make a parameter foot-controllable, it then ignores whether or not a track is targeted and the foot control *always* controls that parameter on that track. And I cannot assign more than one parameter to a CC # using remote override mapping.

The crazy work around that I think I might need to do is this:
-assign the foot buttons and expression pedals to a midi-to-cv rack extension device,
-cobble together a cv output switching matrix with Thor, a combinator, and a few CV utility rack extensions as I’ve seen described on other posts,
-route the cv outputs of my cobbled together cv matrix switcher to the insert combinator buttons and rotaries of all the tracks I might want to control,
-assign those combinator buttons and rotaries to whichever parameters I want to control on those tracks, and
-use the combinator buttons on my cobbled together cv matrix switcher to selectively mute the cv outputs going to the tracks I don’t want to control at that moment.

This seems like it might work, but it also seems like an absurd Rube Goldberg construction to achieve something that should be fairly simple.

Is there a better, simpler way to achieve what I’m trying???

Thanks!

demt

30 Jan 2020

Rube Goldberg
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

orthodox
RE Developer

30 Jan 2020

I would return to the initial intent of making it the master controller, so that it controls only the device you have selected. No need for Remote Override. No need to make it send different CCs, you can call it Expression pedal for all the devices and then translate it into the function you like via Combinator's Programmer panel.

quincy_j_clomo

31 Jan 2020

orthodox wrote:
30 Jan 2020
I would return to the initial intent of making it the master controller, so that it controls only the device you have selected. No need for Remote Override. No need to make it send different CCs, you can call it Expression pedal for all the devices and then translate it into the function you like via Combinator's Programmer panel.
I guess I didn’t make it clear in the OP, but part of my issue was that I couldn’t get the buttons to control the combinator panel without remote override. I even looked up Reason’s MIDI implementation chart and programmed the buttons to send the CC’s that supposedly control the panel, but the only way I could get it to do anything was with remote override.

I ended up with a Rube Goldberg solution that I’ll post later today when I can describe it and add screenshots. It totally works, but it’s a bit of a doozy.

orthodox
RE Developer

31 Jan 2020

quincy_j_clomo wrote:
31 Jan 2020
orthodox wrote:
30 Jan 2020
I guess I didn’t make it clear in the OP, but part of my issue was that I couldn’t get the buttons to control the combinator panel without remote override. I even looked up Reason’s MIDI implementation chart and programmed the buttons to send the CC’s that supposedly control the panel, but the only way I could get it to do anything was with remote override.
That's not about controlling the Combinator Panel. I'm suggesting that you assign Expression CC (11) to the pedal and open the Combinator's Programmer Panel and use the Modulation Routing table on the right to map Expression Controller to some function of a nested device.

• Information