This "function" needs to go, NOW! seriously, reason studios...

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Chizmata

24 Jan 2020

selecting multiple mixer tracks with shift+click

as you might know, shift + drag fader activates fine tuning. so, if you have a mixer track selected and want to fine tune another, you hold shift, click and drag. BUT this also leaves the previous channel marked and changes the volume on that as well. this happens unnoticed all the time to me and seriously messes up meticulous mixing work. when i notice it, its mostly too late for undo cause i dont know how long its been like that. i cant stress enough how big of a problem this is. it makes me think about dropping the daw. this needs to be adressed, now.
Last edited by Chizmata on 24 Jan 2020, edited 1 time in total.

PhillipOrdonez

24 Jan 2020

Chizmata wrote:
24 Jan 2020

as you might know, shift + drag fader activates fine tuning. so, if you have a mixer track selected and want to fine tune another, you hold shift, click and drag. BUT this also leaves the previous channel marked and changes the volume on that at well. this happens unnoticed all the time to me and seriously messes up meticulous mixing work. when i notice it, its mostly too late for undo cause i dont know how long its been like that. i cant stress enough how big of a problem this is. it makes me think about dropping the daw. this needs to be adressed, now.

It is a great and handy feature. Please pay attention so that no other channel has been selected before you "fine tune" your fader. :)

Chizmata

24 Jan 2020

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
24 Jan 2020
Chizmata wrote:
24 Jan 2020

as you might know, shift + drag fader activates fine tuning. so, if you have a mixer track selected and want to fine tune another, you hold shift, click and drag. BUT this also leaves the previous channel marked and changes the volume on that at well. this happens unnoticed all the time to me and seriously messes up meticulous mixing work. when i notice it, its mostly too late for undo cause i dont know how long its been like that. i cant stress enough how big of a problem this is. it makes me think about dropping the daw. this needs to be adressed, now.

It is a great and handy feature. Please pay attention so that no other channel has been selected before you "fine tune" your fader. :)
hell no. the mistake is on the devs side here. they could just assign another key to fine tuning

joeyluck

24 Jan 2020

Shift+drag is pretty universal across software and plugins for fine adjustments. So is what you describe not an issue in other DAWs when adjusting faders in the steps that you are?

FWIW, I'm a click-then-hold-shift type person when I'm aiming to do fine adjustments.

Chizmata

24 Jan 2020

well before defending it, would you guys mind explaining why it is a GOOD idea that needs to be kept? why should ONE key have TWO different functions that can easily get messed up when it could be done otherwise?

guitfnky

24 Jan 2020

the reason to leave it as is, is that it can be easily avoided, and most people probably don’t have a problem with it.

the reason to change it is that, yes, it’s dumb (precisely because it’s unnecessary for these to use the same key). they could allow us to create custom shortcuts, and that would take care of the whole issue.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

gullum

24 Jan 2020

Chizmata wrote:
24 Jan 2020
well before defending it, would you guys mind explaining why it is a GOOD idea that needs to be kept? why should ONE key have TWO different functions that can easily get messed up when it could be done otherwise?
Shift + drag is used for more than just fine-tuning, to move a rack and have cables change automatic you also use shift + drag, same if you want to create a device without connection use shift + drag. You really need to change to click shift then drag, that way all the shift + drag options work as intended for all its uses. Shift is suppose to work as multipurpose button

and to be honest "shift + drag fader activates fine tuning" is not right, select(click) shift + drag fader activates fine tuning is the right way

esselfortium

24 Jan 2020

Click on the one channel you want to select, then hold shift and move the fader.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Yonatan

24 Jan 2020

I think I must agree with you on it being a quirk. If I have not misunderstood something.

I had to open and try and yes I can understand the frustration to forget to click and mark the new track every time. I agree that it would be much more intelligent if the software would automatically refocus and only adjust the track that you are adjusting when it is in a "one track focus mode". It might be better if one had to actively choose several tracks to be able to fine adjust them, not automatically suppose that the new track somewhere else that you have not marked yet, are supposed to be linked with other marked. So I think I am with you on this to be a strange behavior. I think that if I am so aware that I know that I want to adjust several tracks, then the workflow would make more sense if I then just mark and choose those first, then adjust by changing one of the blue-marked tracks. As it is now, it makes it more cumbersome to work more intuitive direct by fine-adjusting fast as one hear the mix. For me, if I need to really click on each track and then shift and adjust, all while the track is running, it breaks the workflow.

Could be solved if it is possible to have same Shift+Click to affect the track different if pointing on the fader as from pointing at the bottom of track.

I have not used that function so much, but I do get a general confusion when it comes to how one have to do a bit of extra work when going between Sequencer, Rack and Mixer in Reason, as the Rack and Sequencer has better "communication" with each other but when working the Mixer I can not choose to get instrument in keyboard mode from there, so one have to go back to the Seq or Rack and click on it to get the keyboard to play it. Also one can not drag anything onto the mixer channels. It is a broken workflow that should have been added back in R8 (my opinion) that was about the Browser and workflow. Still waiting.

Tweak

24 Jan 2020

Personally, whilst I've not had an issue with this myself, I understand the OP's issue, although I'm not sure the shift-click shortcut is the issue on its own. I think the problem is how difficult it is to tell you you have multiple mix channel selected, particularly if you need to scroll to be able to see your selection.

For me an elegant solution would be to put a hovering counter next to the mouse cursor which denotes the number of selected mix channels when you attempt to drag a slider and have many channels selected.

esselfortium

24 Jan 2020

Tweak wrote:
24 Jan 2020
Personally, whilst I've not had an issue with this myself, I understand the OP's issue, although I'm not sure the shift-click shortcut is the issue on its own. I think the problem is how difficult it is to tell you you have multiple mix channel selected, particularly if you need to scroll to be able to see your selection.

For me an elegant solution would be to put a hovering counter next to the mouse cursor which denotes the number of selected mix channels when you attempt to drag a slider and have many channels selected.
Agreed, having clearer visibility of which and how many channels are selected would help a lot.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Oquasec

24 Jan 2020

Custom keyboard shortcuts is one feature every daw should have no lie
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

orthodox
RE Developer

24 Jan 2020

A similar thing has always annoyed me, when I shift-click a knob in the Rack, a whole lot of devices gets selected. Why?! I only meant to adjust a knob by a little bit.
Maybe clicking on a control should not select the device at all, only when you click in the idle area?

joeyluck

24 Jan 2020

esselfortium wrote:
24 Jan 2020
Tweak wrote:
24 Jan 2020

Agreed, having clearer visibility of which and how many channels are selected would help a lot.
I feel like I or someone else at some point suggested track and device highlighted, so that all others are dimmed. Would be helpful for sure.

The sequencer for me is when I also get confused. The difference between selected and unselected becomes easily indescernible. Especially tricky when you are try to see what MIDI tracks you have selected to see in multi-lane edit.

EdGrip

25 Jan 2020

So we're agreed that everyone just needs to practice clicking first? Cool.

Chizmata

25 Jan 2020

i think its an ok idea to strongly improve the visual indication of multi-selection. its part of the problem that you barely see when you marked two mixer tracks. it would really have to jump in your face. that would be the minimum solution id be ok with. but of course id still appreciate better or custom key layout.

selig
RE Developer

25 Jan 2020

esselfortium wrote:
24 Jan 2020
Tweak wrote:
24 Jan 2020

I suggested this very thing during testing, and am afraid it fell on deaf ears.
And yes, this has happens to me more than once (that I know of), and I do consider it to be a case of "poor design".
Selig Audio, LLC

Ahornberg

25 Jan 2020

Click on the fader you want to adjust, hold the mouse button down (now previous selected faders are deselected) and then click and hold the shift-key

friday

25 Jan 2020

I can only support the request, happens te so often!

selig
RE Developer

25 Jan 2020

Ahornberg wrote:
25 Jan 2020
Click on the fader you want to adjust, hold the mouse button down (now previous selected faders are deselected) and then click and hold the shift-key
I have the same problem when shift dragging multiple devices in the rack. If you aren't careful you end up dragging one less device than you selected. The "solution" is to do what you describe above, but it's non-intuitive IMO, and I still end up making mistakes after all these years.

Another mitigating factor is that the shift modifier is being used for multiple functions in Reason: multiple selection, fine tuning values, dragging devices and re-connecting them to the destination, disable auto-routing when creating new device, plus many more unrelated commands.
Selig Audio, LLC

chimp_spanner

25 Jan 2020

I mean, I’m not sure I’d drop the DAW for it haha, but I get that it’s frustrating. I think if you know it’s a thing that happens then just make it part of your workflow to select *a* track before you fine tune. I know it’s not terribly intuitive but if all the other things you like outweigh this one thing then it is what it is. We can only continue to ask for a change. Custom modifier keys would definitely help. Or maybe an additional modifier like shift + option controls one track only. Something like that?

Chizmata

25 Jan 2020

just realized ctrl + click does the same thing, so gotta be careful when resetting a fader too :roll:

tiker01

25 Jan 2020

esselfortium wrote:
24 Jan 2020

I this would be the way to go!

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

Yonatan

26 Jan 2020

Dimming non selected could be useful. At least having that as an option in preferences. May be that some get distracted as every time one just adjust whatever on a channel, it gets a blue-line selected area. I do not understand why one need a channel selected everytime one adjust something (if it ws not for dimming or other). Could it not be designed so that one have to click at the bottom of the channel to get it blue-selected. As long as one is not getting any sequencer track automatically side-selected at same time, why at all have this behavior?
The blue-selected area have no meaning as it is now, more than when selecting many channels to do something and then why not just do that at the bottom of the channels? Am I missing something in this selected area logic?

orthodox
RE Developer

26 Jan 2020

Yonatan wrote:
26 Jan 2020
Dimming non selected could be useful. At least having that as an option in preferences. May be that some get distracted as every time one just adjust whatever on a channel, it gets a blue-line selected area. I do not understand why one need a channel selected everytime one adjust something (if it ws not for dimming or other). Could it not be designed so that one have to click at the bottom of the channel to get it blue-selected. As long as one is not getting any sequencer track automatically side-selected at same time, why at all have this behavior?
The blue-selected area have no meaning as it is now, more than when selecting many channels to do something and then why npt just do that at the bottom of the channels? Am I missing something in this selected area logic?
Completely agree. The same should be done in the Rack. When I adjust a knob, it should not select the device, only when I click in the idle or some special area of the device.

• Information